PDA

View Full Version : Microwave safe plastic containers for daycare?

YouAreTheFocus
10-20-2010, 02:21 AM
Everyday it is something new with daycare & feeding. Today they announced that we can't bring food in glass containers, b/c apparently there have been accidents w/ parents or staff breaking them (I didn't get the specifics). Up til now our baby has had EB jars or little pyrex bowls for pasta, meat, etc finger food. Now what? They heat the finger food in the micro, so it must be micro safe. My husband claims that no plastic is safe for repetitive heating. How about silicone?

I am annoyed that this means parents in general can't decide to give their kids EB. Now it's Gerber or one of the pouch brands. And what about the parents who use glass bottles? Grr.

TwoBees
10-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Glad containers are bpa free and the 1/2 cup ones are great for dd's food. Aren't they only heating for 5 or 10 seconds to take the chill off? I think bpa plastic will be fine for such short amounts of time. Or ask if they can take the food out of the fridge about 30 minutes before feeding and let it come to room temp.

Katigre
10-20-2010, 09:57 AM
I would never.ever heat food in plastic in a microwave - there is no plastic that has been shown to not leach a single bit of chemical that I am aware of.

In that type of situation I would only send food that doesn't have to be heated.

As an aside - what do they do when parents send glass bottles? Are those prohibited too? I might try and talk with the director and express your discomfort from a health-perspective with this policy.

infomama
10-20-2010, 10:00 AM
I am annoyed that this means parents in general can't decide to give their kids EB. Now it's Gerber or one of the pouch brands. And what about the parents who use glass bottles? Grr.
That's BS. I would not go along with letting them heat in plastic. Tempered glass should be totally acceptable.

TwoBees
10-20-2010, 10:07 AM
As an aside - what do they do when parents send glass bottles? Are those prohibited too? I might try and talk with the director and express your discomfort from a health-perspective with this policy.

Glass bottles are not allowed at my daycare. They allow glass baby food jars although they prefer plastic.

Neatfreak
10-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Could you put the food in a stainless steel Foogo jar, warmed, and skip the microwave?

indigo99
10-20-2010, 10:14 AM
I wouldn't feel comfortable heating food in ANY plastic either. Maybe you can find out the specifics and help them come up with a better solution. The thick pyrex containers are pretty difficult to break so if someone is breaking those then they're just being careless.

peanut520
10-20-2010, 01:03 PM
will dc eat room temp food? i would just pack things what can be served cold or room temp. we never heated dd's purees or formula. either straight from the fridge or room temp.

AnnieW625
10-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Glad containers are bpa free and the 1/2 cup ones are great for dd's food. Aren't they only heating for 5 or 10 seconds to take the chill off? I think bpa plastic will be fine for such short amounts of time. Or ask if they can take the food out of the fridge about 30 minutes before feeding and let it come to room temp.

As much as prefer glass or ceramic at home these are just the easiest for daycare.

YouAreTheFocus
10-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Yeah, we feel it is bs too. I'm starting to "have it up to here" with all the bs rules they've been coming up w/ lately. The refrigerated items that he eats there (so far) are pasta/ravioli, ground turkey, chicken, cooked veggies, scrambled eggs, cheese. And obviously this list will grow as he eats more foods on his own (he still eats some veg/fruit from a jar). Would you serve these refrig items cold? I really feel he shouldn't have to eat cold scrambled eggs, b/c of their stupid rules! I doubt they would take his lunch & snack out 30 min in advance.

How long do you leave hot food in the Foogoo? It would need to last 5-6 hrs.

smiles33
10-20-2010, 02:09 PM
My center didn't allow glass bottles either (which I only learned after I invested in a complete glass bottle system) but they do allow the tempered glass containers.

I agree with PP. If glass isn't allowed at all, send room temperature food and/or food that can be eaten cold. I might do cubed chicken breast (which can be eaten cold), rotelle pasta or macaroni with just a little olive oil, fruit, vegetables (like carrots or broccoli that can be steamed and eaten cold), yogurt, hummus, pita, hard-boiled eggs, etc.

TwoBees
10-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah, we feel it is bs too. I'm starting to "have it up to here" with all the bs rules they've been coming up w/ lately. The refrigerated items that he eats there (so far) are pasta/ravioli, ground turkey, chicken, cooked veggies, scrambled eggs, cheese. And obviously this list will grow as he eats more foods on his own (he still eats some veg/fruit from a jar). Would you serve these refrig items cold? I really feel he shouldn't have to eat cold scrambled eggs, b/c of their stupid rules! I doubt they would take his lunch & snack out 30 min in advance.

Yes, I would serve those foods cold or at room temp.

Claki
10-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Are there any name brand tempered glass container brands? I know Duralex makes cups. Who makes little storage containers?

bubbaray
10-20-2010, 06:16 PM

For non-heated items, I use the Glad or Ziploc disposable plastic or the Rubbermaid TakeALongs (but I think those are discontinued).

For hot food, I send in a Foogo food thermos and it stays hot until lunch (so about 6+ hours). If the food isn't hot, daycare will reheat in one of their bowls.

YouAreTheFocus
10-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Are there any name brand tempered glass container brands? I know Duralex makes cups. Who makes little storage containers?

I'm not sure they will grasp the difference between regular and tempered glass. And it's probably easier for them to say "no glass." This is what I have been sending his food in:

https://www.anchoronline.com/8-pc-custard-cups-with-lids.html

And yesterday I got a note that said "Please send R's lunch in plastic containers." I asked about ziploc bags, they said that then they'll put it in one of their plastic bowls and microwave it. Great. These are junky looking bowls they have had for who knows how long, that they micro & put through the dishwasher daily. :32:

So I guess it'll be a thermos or cold food.