PDA

View Full Version : Character meals?

almostmom
10-20-2010, 10:22 AM
I need to try and sign us up for some character meals when we are at WDW the first week of January before they are all gone (may be already!). We are doing the hoop-de-doo one night. I was thinking of taking DD to a princess meal, and DH could take DS to another meal, but don't know bout that. My kids don't know much about what to expect, so if they are going to see princesses around the parks, then we could all do one meal together with some of the characters who aren't princesses. We are doing the dining plan, and we're there for 4 nights, so have 4 sit-down meals. I think 2 are taken up with Hoop-de-doo, and the other 2 will be taken up with a character meal, right? My kids aren't great with sit-down meals, so that is fine with me!

Thoughts?

and thank you--

lhafer
10-20-2010, 11:57 AM
I need to try and sign us up for some character meals when we are at WDW the first week of January before they are all gone (may be already!). We are doing the hoop-de-doo one night. I was thinking of taking DD to a princess meal, and DH could take DS to another meal, but don't know bout that. My kids don't know much about what to expect, so if they are going to see princesses around the parks, then we could all do one meal together with some of the characters who aren't princesses. We are doing the dining plan, and we're there for 4 nights, so have 4 sit-down meals. I think 2 are taken up with Hoop-de-doo, and the other 2 will be taken up with a character meal, right? My kids aren't great with sit-down meals, so that is fine with me!

Thoughts?

and thank you--

Only certain character meals require 2 points (like the Cinderella's castle, etc). But most only require 1. So you could have 2 character meals - like Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, Tusker House, Hollywood & Vine, The Crystal Palace, The Garden Grill, Ohana, etc.

Here's the website where you can make reservations: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/reservations/dining/

Just put in the date and time of day you would like the meal and see what's available. You can do it by park, or specific restaurant, or character dining, etc.

Fairy
10-20-2010, 12:00 PM
I really recommend character meals based on food more than character if possible. Tusker House is, IMO, the best food in WDW. I also am of the mind that anyone can enjoy the princess meals, including boys. Our DS was 4 at the time and loved his princess meal. At age 8, maybe not so much if it were just him, but with families that have both genders, I'd say the boy will still have a good time, and maybe you let him pick the 2nd character meal so it's fair.

egoldber
10-20-2010, 12:17 PM
I think that the character meals at 1900 Park Fare are great for boys and girls.

Also, the Mickey/Minnie meals are great for both.

almostmom
10-20-2010, 03:01 PM
Now that I know most only count as one sit-down meal, I would take DS. He actually like princesses when they're around, loves the movies and books, but is in 1st grade and doesn't like to admit it as much.

Good to know about Tusker House - thanks!

DebbieJ
10-20-2010, 03:56 PM
I really recommend character meals based on food more than character if possible. Tusker House is, IMO, the best food in WDW. I also am of the mind that anyone can enjoy the princess meals, including boys. Our DS was 4 at the time and loved his princess meal. At age 8, maybe not so much if it were just him, but with families that have both genders, I'd say the boy will still have a good time, and maybe you let him pick the 2nd character meal so it's fair.

I was going to suggest Tusker House also. It was a great breakfast and the character interaction was very good.

They do try to sell you a photo at Tusker House--you take a pic with Donald on your way in. If you do buy it, you can add it to your PhotoPass. Just FYI. We did the $99 pre-trip CD and were able to add it, so it worked out for us.

lhafer
10-20-2010, 04:12 PM
I was going to suggest Tusker House also. It was a great breakfast and the character interaction was very good.

They do try to sell you a photo at Tusker House--you take a pic with Donald on your way in. If you do buy it, you can add it to your PhotoPass. Just FYI. We did the $99 pre-trip CD and were able to add it, so it worked out for us.

Good to know!! I need to preorder my photo pass.

almostmom
10-20-2010, 04:18 PM
ok, I'm hijacking my own thread.

So do you need a photo pass? Can't you take pictures with your own camera with characters? $99 seems like a lot of money for pictures in the digital age! Or maybe there's something I don't know, which is very likely...

Fairy
10-20-2010, 04:25 PM
You absolutely do NOT need a photopass!!! However ... I'd get one. You don't have to pay for anything up front, you can just take the one they give you with the first photo, and then buy whatever you want from there. Now, the savings do come in if you plan to buy more than a couple, cuz they're stupid expensive. And the interface gives you all these nifty little borders and effects -- which I don't care for, but i get why folks would enjoy them. They are well-done. So, there is savings to be had. But only if you're into that sort of thing. Go ahead and take the photpass when you walk in (and it's sure conveninent), and take your own photos, as well, no one is gonna frown on doing both when you go up for your pix. But I'd say skip the package deal beforehand unless you know you're gonna want to buy a bunch.

bubbaray
10-20-2010, 04:38 PM
We are big fans of Character Meals, though we go to DL and not WDW. We also LOVE the Photopass.

Photopass is free until you order photos or the CD. However, if you know you are going to use it, don't forget to get any photos taken at character meals put onto the Photopass -- you have to have the purchased photo (code) with you when you go to the Disney photo place. They take your Photopass and put the character photos on it too. Then, they are all on your CD (if you order one).

almostmom
10-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks - really helpful!

alien_host
10-20-2010, 05:25 PM
I may have gotten ripped off but at Chef Mickey's they told me they couldn't put the photos on the photopass card. We got suckered into buying the photo and there was an event code on the photo that allowed us to then get it in our photopass account. Of course by then I had paid $25 for the photo portfolio :(

Anyway I'm not sure if there was a misunerstanding or what. :shrug: I'll have to research that further before we go again.

bubbaray
10-20-2010, 05:28 PM
I may have gotten ripped off but at Chef Mickey's they told me they couldn't put the photos on the photopass card. We got suckered into buying the photo and there was an event code on the photo that allowed us to then get it in our photopass account. Of course by then I had paid $25 for the photo portfolio :(

Anyway I'm not sure if there was a misunerstanding or what. :shrug: I'll have to research that further before we go again.

Maybe I didn't articulate it well -- you DO have to purchase the photo from the character meal. The purchased photo has a code (under the paper frame) and if you go to the Disney photo studio in the park, they can put the photos from the character meal onto your Photopass (so you can get it on your purchased CD).

I asked and was told that they will only do this from INSIDE the park (ie., not over the telephone from your hotel or from home). FYI, if you get a nice clerk, they will look up the code/photo based on the date of your character dining. I only found out about this on the last day of our 1st trip with the kids and the photo was back in our hotel room. The nice counter guy did find our photo.

billysmommy
10-20-2010, 05:36 PM
You can also just add the code from the side of the picture into your photopass account yourself once you get home and it adds your photos to your photopass. We've done this with our pictures from CRT every time we've gone.

bubbaray
10-20-2010, 05:37 PM
You can also just add the code from the side of the picture into your photopass account yourself once you get home and it adds your photos to your photopass. We've done this with our pictures from CRT every time we've gone.

See, I had read this and asked about this, but was told that (at least from Disneyland) it is NOT possible. IIRC, DH tried the first year from our hotel and it d/n work

HMMMM, I wonder. I would be SO much more convenient to do it from home or the hotel.

billysmommy
10-20-2010, 06:52 PM
See, I had read this and asked about this, but was told that (at least from Disneyland) it is NOT possible. IIRC, DH tried the first year from our hotel and it d/n work

HMMMM, I wonder. I would be SO much more convenient to do it from home or the hotel.

It was very convenient. The first time we did CRT (in 2006) when they brought us our photo package they showed us the code and told us we could add it when we got home. It worked last December too. I don't actually add any of our photopass card #'s to our account until we get home so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it either.

egoldber
10-20-2010, 10:01 PM
The photos with the meals are VERY confusing. Some of them are included with the meal (e.g., Akershus princess meal in Epcot, Cinderella's castle). Some are offered optionally (Chef Mickey). Some you are able to add onto Photopass with a code, but some you are not. Also some of the ride photos can be added to Photopass and some cannot. And it changes over time. The Akershsus photo used to not be included, but now it is.

I think disboards is the best place to get the most current info on this.

But in all our trips to WDW, we have only bought the PhotoPass CD once, and that was when we split it with two other families.

DebbieJ
10-20-2010, 10:10 PM

You do have to buy the photo in order to get the code. They won't just give you the code.

DebbieJ
10-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Maybe I didn't articulate it well -- you DO have to purchase the photo from the character meal. The purchased photo has a code (under the paper frame) and if you go to the Disney photo studio in the park, they can put the photos from the character meal onto your Photopass (so you can get it on your purchased CD).

I asked and was told that they will only do this from INSIDE the park (ie., not over the telephone from your hotel or from home). FYI, if you get a nice clerk, they will look up the code/photo based on the date of your character dining. I only found out about this on the last day of our 1st trip with the kids and the photo was back in our hotel room. The nice counter guy did find our photo.

I added our Tusker House photo to the PhotoPass account when I got home. It was no problem.

Maybe things are different at DL vs WDW?

DebbieJ
10-20-2010, 10:12 PM
The photos with the meals are VERY confusing. Some of them are included with the meal (e.g., Akershus princess meal in Epcot, Cinderella's castle). Some are offered optionally (Chef Mickey). Some you are able to add onto Photopass with a code, but some you are not. Also some of the ride photos can be added to Photopass and some cannot. And it changes over time. The Akershsus photo used to not be included, but now it is.

I think disboards is the best place to get the most current info on this.

But in all our trips to WDW, we have only bought the PhotoPass CD once, and that was when we split it with two other families.

When we went in June 2010, the only ride photo that could be added was Test Track at Epcot. But who knows--that may have changed by now.

klwa
10-21-2010, 06:57 AM

ETA: okay, I'm an idiot & didn't read everything & thought I cancelled this before I actually put it up, so ignore me! :)

emily_gracesmama
10-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Tusker House was great. And I lucked into the ressie last minute by
Checking via my iPhone while we were there. We also did the Princesses in Epcot
Ashkersus in Norway. Supposedly Mickey no longer comes around at Chef Mickeys and
The breakfast at the Castle is way overpriced for what it is tho we did do it last year. We like Pooh at Crystal Palace too!

billysmommy
10-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Supposedly Mickey no longer comes around at Chef Mickeys

They did a trial of Mickey just standing at the entrance for photos but it didn't work out so he's back circulating again :)

almostmom
10-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Still working on this...

So I want to make a reservation for the Crystal Palace for dinner - what time is best? Of course we'd like to see the fireworks/parade that night too. We're looking at Sunday, January 2nd for this (assuming we can still get a reservation).

Thanks!

Momof3Labs
10-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Still working on this...

So I want to make a reservation for the Crystal Palace for dinner - what time is best? Of course we'd like to see the fireworks/parade that night too. We're looking at Sunday, January 2nd for this (assuming we can still get a reservation).

Thanks!

I'd take whatever is available. With that being a holiday weekend, I doubt that there are many choices left. Crowd levels are listed as an 8 (out of 10) that day - it is going to be mobbed. Do you prefer to do an early dinner or a later dinner?

almostmom
10-25-2010, 12:55 PM
I guess earlier would be better, but it doesn't matter too much. Are the fireworks visible from everywhere at the restaurant? Or do we want to avoid eating when they are going on?