PDA

View Full Version : Time for a Booster

cara1
10-20-2010, 03:50 PM
DS is 8.5 and uses the Marathon. He doesn't mind it.
He's about 40 - 45 lbs and short (about 47 inches).
But DH minds packing it up and taking it on vacation.
Plus we avoid carpools because of the carseat issue.
We tried the Sunshine Kids Monterey a year or two ago and the lap belt came up too high, right across his lower abdomen rather than his thighs, so we returned it and kept him in the MA, figuring he was still just too small for a Booster.

How can I make my life easier?
I know I should stick with a high backed booster.
What would be safest, but also would travel well and might go in other cars for a carpool (i.e. easy to insert for a neighbor who might not know what she's doing).
TIA.

niccig
10-20-2010, 04:24 PM
DS is 40lbs and 44" and he has a parkway SG - it has a strap to keep the lap belt low. DS is 6 in December and rides sometimes harnessed and sometimes in the booster. He fits the parkway really well and sits so well, I've been impressed.

There's a new one coming out that can also latch.

bubbaray
10-20-2010, 04:36 PM
You could try the Monterey again -- DD#1 loves that seat. We also have a Parkway SG which is OK, but she much prefers the Monterey (and it fits her better).

cara1
10-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Why isn't the Monterey on the latest list of IIHS best booster seats at all? And Britax is lower on the list than I would have expected.

Also, how portable are these? Easy in and out?

Joolsplus2
10-20-2010, 06:25 PM
The newest Britax Parkway SGL (for LATCH) is an improved design, I suspect it'll come out higher on the next ranking list. Monterey is kind of iffy, as you've found, so they only put it in the 'use it if it fits well, we won't make any guarantees' list at the end of the rankings. It's also very heavy and fairly hard to move around, from what I understand. Parkway tends to be a little easier to manage. Compass B570 Pathway (Learning Curve First Years... so many names, go with that B570 and you'll get the right one) might also be a good choice since it folds and your kiddo must have such a very short torso (to still be fitting in the MA...I wish mine had lasted that long, I loved that thing...make sure yours isn't expired, too).

:)

jjordan
10-20-2010, 10:05 PM
If you're retiring the marathon, keep the cover to sell! Good luck with a booster; sounds like you've gotten lots of good suggestions already so I have nothing to add. :)