PDA

View Full Version : American Girl

Cuckoomamma
10-21-2010, 09:50 AM
It looks as if we'll have to be spending a chunk of change with AG this holiday season. We just got the holiday catalog and there wasn't a free shipping code in it (I remember 2 or 3 years ago they offered it

Will they have any holiday specials that I should wait for or should I just go ahead and place my order?

I did receive the email about the holiday package deal for some of the historical dolls but I wouldn't be purchasing all 4 of those items to qualify for the $10 off.

Thanks!

Melaine
10-21-2010, 10:04 AM
They had some good stuff on Black Friday, IIRC. Anyone else confirm that? I guess it depends on what you are looking for though.

Seitvonzu
10-21-2010, 10:18 AM
AG had some really good deals in their "sale" section last year -- but it was SUPER random.ifyou want anything particular, i wouldn't wait for a sale. things tend to get backordered around the holidays, and you probably don't want to deal with that (big disappointment!)

you could wait for free shipping... i have been for a HUGE felicity order (that my husband will think is very reactionary i'm sure). shipping is SO high from AG *sigh*

Seitvonzu
10-21-2010, 10:21 AM
i wanted to post an example of the "randomness" of the sale-- we got the bitty twins kitchen & both bitty twin kitchen outfits for $40-- the outfits alone would have been 48, so i was satisfied with that deal. :)

Cuckoomamma
10-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Will they definitely run a free shipping offer?

designermv
10-21-2010, 11:27 AM
I saw this on another site, but haven't tried the code. We were just at the AG store in Manhattan last weekend so my AG budget is totally blown for now. ;)

FREE shipping with code PF02831 on purchases over $50 through 11/7!

Cuckoomamma
10-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks! I'll have to see if it works.......

designermv
10-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Just checked it--it works. :)

Seitvonzu
10-21-2010, 02:26 PM
oh dear... thanks , i think, for posting that code. i have a bunch of stuff i want to order for, GULP, *ME*

my felicity needs a few things before they stick her in what DH mockingly refers to as "the vault" (i.e., like the "Disney vault").

there are a few things lucy liked when we went through the catalog to... i'm think of getting the doll/girls "nature girl" shirts for her and her new waldorf doll she's getting for her birthday-- we call her our nature girl :):)

so, yeah, thanks :)

jenstring95
10-21-2010, 11:18 PM
My DD is turning 3 next week, and I was thinking about getting her a Bitty Baby for Christmas. Good idea or waste of money? Is there a cheaper doll with similar qualities (i.e.,eyes open and close, no creepy crying or talking sound/mechanical movement, etc. - not quite as concerned about outfit choices at this time.) Thanks!

jgenie
10-22-2010, 12:49 AM
I saw this on another site, but haven't tried the code. We were just at the AG store in Manhattan last weekend so my AG budget is totally blown for now. ;)

FREE shipping with code PF02831 on purchases over $50 through 11/7!

Thanks for sharing the code - just placed an order (saved $15 on shipping!!) - 1 bday and 1 Christmas gift done. :)

Cuckoomamma
10-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Thanks so much for the code!

My dd's like one of Lanie's outfits and a couple of Felicity's, so those need to be purchased :-) Of course, I'll have to pick a couple that I like, too, lol!

I was never a fan of Bitty Babies. I think the twins are cute, but we stuck with Waldorf dolls in terms of baby dolls.

Seitvonzu
10-22-2010, 08:42 AM
cuckoomama- you sound like my mother -- she would always order things i said i wanted and then "a few she liked." :) this is how i ended up with the old school recital outfit (it has a tux jacket with bow tie and a black skirt.... i NEVER would have picked *that*) i guess now that i'm a mom i "get it"--i don't think we ever outgrow toys, really.

mamaAnn
10-22-2010, 12:32 PM
I think I love AG doll stuff more than my 9 yo DD LOL

But I just wanted to share that if you are looking for clothes you can get some really nice outfits and great prices from etsy.com They have period clothing as well as contemporary items. Many sellers will have free shipping for the holidays, though most are only about $2.50 to ship anyway. Just be sure to check the feedback on any seller.

And check e-bay for shoes. We just bought 3 prs (1 high tops, 1 mary jane style, and 1 fluffy winter boots) for $22 shipped. They are all new and very well made. I was a little leary but very impressed with them. They came from Hong Kong but shipping was only a week.

twodogs
10-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Love the Corolle Calin. Much better size than the Bitty Baby for a 3 year old and so cute (and they smell like vanilla!).

Cuckoomamma
10-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the tip on etsy. I can actually sew some pretty nice clothes for the dolls, but dds want some "american girl" clothing. They've been properly brainwashed by the AG brand into wanting some of the brand stuff :-) Especially since our older dd has the my american girl doll where you play on line. Of course, your doll wears all the "real" american girl clothing at innerstar u.

The stuff we've made is really so much nicer quality and they have matching clothing with the dolls, but still..........it appears I need to give AG some of our hard-earned cash!

Seitvonzu
11-08-2010, 08:56 AM
thanks to the pp who posted the free shipping code on this thread-- i saved 23 dollars last night using it :)

yes, that means i spent over 200-- but i rounded out *MY* felicity collection and DH is done christmas shopping :)

can i just say 23 dollars for shipping would have been RIDICULOUS???? yes, i got the little horse & tea set (which are bigger/heavier items, not really for the tea set, but okay)-- but the rest of my order was outfits that weigh, literally, ounces. if i had JUST gotten outfits i'd be pretty peaved by the shipping (and i have been in the past when DH would order me ONE outfit and pay shipping -starting at 7 dollars? eep!) . *rant over*

thanksthanksthanks! i can't wait to get my packages! 2 items were backordered until dec. 10th...but i'm a grown up so i can wait and AG is really good about coming through on their estimates!