PDA

View Full Version : Need car recommendations

suomi777
10-21-2010, 11:49 AM
My family's second car was totaled last night. Everyone is o.k., and one of my friends brought by a Snugride for my infant that has never been in an accident for me to use in the interim. We need to buy a new car ASAP. I was considering a Yukon but am having sticker shock. Can someone please recommend a car to us? We currently have an 07 Odyssey (not what was totaled) and have 3 across in the second row. Really I am not happy with the ease of use, as I have to pull on my daughter's Roundabout to snap in the SnugRide. If we can get a car with three across well and has significant cargo room, that would be great. Our Odyssey would still be our primary car, and it is pretty souped up, so we really don't need many options on the new car, it could be pretty bare bones. We would like either an SUV or another van, used or new but money is an issue, so no Escalades, please :).

any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

AnnieW625
10-21-2010, 12:28 PM
What about a 2006 to 2008 Honda Pilot? You'll sacrifice on the cargo room, and a full size third row (vs. a larger SUV), but you could get a Radian to go in the middle (I'd put your oldest child in that as they can ge the car first), then put the snugride on one side, and the other convertable seat on the other side.

We have a 2006 Pilot and have been very happy. We didn't want a huge SUV and the Pilot seems to fit our family quite well (two kids, and a black lab).

If you still want a fair amount of storage space and room I would look at a used Suburban. If you don't want that big then go with a used Yukon, or Tahoe, but in those smaller mid size SUVs the third row eats up a fair amount of cargo space. IMHO with three kids something like a Suburban is going to be your best bet (that advice is coming from someone who grew up in the 80s with the large Chevy station wagons though). Sometimes I wish I had one and I only have two kids because they are soo comfortable for traveling.

bubbaray
10-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Are you looking for a small SUV or a mid- large one?

In the small SUV category, both the Ford Escape and Honda CR-V can do 3 across. Take the Toyota RAV4 off your list because 3 across is not possible in the 2nd row and the 3rd row isn't big enough for constant use.

In the mid-sized SUV category, *I* would go either with a Honda Pilot, Toyota 4Runner, Nissan Pathfinder or Yukon/Tahoe. The Jeeps are also in that category, though I'm not a fan. I know for a fact that you can do 3 across in the Pilot (and IIRC there are 3 sets of LATCH in the 2nd row) and the Yukon. I believe (but am not 100% sure) that you can do 3 across in the 4Runner.

GL!
PS -- glad to hear everyone is OK.

yankinweimar
10-21-2010, 12:49 PM
I love my Mazda 5. Not sure if you are wiling to go that small, but it drives well, the second row captain's chairs are really nice, and the third row is practical for kids, but too small for adults to use on an everyday basis. No LATCH in the third row, but tethers for every seat. We have a Nautilus and a Britax Roundabout in the second row, which leaves the third row for guests without moving any seats.

Joolsplus2
10-21-2010, 04:12 PM
We've been happy enough with our Ford Escape (2006 or newer, so there are headrests and shoulderbelts in every position). Or maybe a Malibu? Camry or Accord should work... Hopefully we can then find three seats to work in there (it's possible in almost any car, just depends on the seats, really...)

suomi777
10-22-2010, 09:04 PM
OK, so the car was officially totaled a few hours ago, so definitely shopping very seriously now . . .

I think we are getting another van. I had no idea that SUVs across the board cost more than vans and often have less cargo room. I am disillusioned.

We looked at the Mazda 5 tonight--that can't do three across, which I really want to do. Also, is there any crash test data out there that the third-row passengers are o.k. in a rear-end collision? I couldn't find any. The proximity of the third-row seat backs to the rear windshield makes me extremely uncomfortable.

lhafer
10-22-2010, 09:49 PM
If I were getting a new car right now I would look at the Chevy Traverse. It has about the room of a minivan but is an SUV. They look pretty cool.
http://www.chevrolet.com/traverse/

I am also in love with the Buick Enclave. I drive a minivan now, so will probably stick with that for a few more years.