PDA

View Full Version : Keyfit versus SnugRide 35?

suomi777
10-21-2010, 11:57 AM
My second car was totaled last night, baby seat included. I am trying to decide between a Keyfit and a SnugRide 35. I know Baby Bargains likes SnugRide 35, but Consumer Reports likes a Keyfit. Can someone comment on safety?

I have three across in an Odyssey now, but will move one child to third row when I buy a new car. The new car I want to buy will have three across. Haven't decided on a car yet.

I really appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

AnnieW625
10-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Most people here are going to tell you not to rely on CR for car seat information. Both are good seats, and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

What seat did you have before? Were you happy with that seat?

Also how old is your baby? If the baby is say 4 to 5 months old I would just use the insurance money and invest it in another convertible seat (unless you planning on having another child in the next couple of years). If I were in an accident with my almost 6 month old that is what I would do, but here is my thoughts on the two seats anyways.

I really really like the plushness of the Chicco seats, but for DD2 I ended up getting a hand me down Graco Safe Seat (prior model to the 35) and I really like it. It is suppose to last kids about 15 months vs. 9 to 12 months in the Chicco. The friend that I got the seat from actually used the seat with her daughter until she was just shy of 2 because she was short. For us I really like having those extra couple of months because my girls are 4+ yrs. apart, and we are going to have to get DD2 her own convertable seats (as DD1's convertables expire well before DD2 will be ready for DD1's Britax Frontiers).

suomi777
10-21-2010, 04:16 PM
We have a regular Snug Ride now, and I just wish my DS didn't outgrow it so quickly (5 mos.). This baby is 8 weeks old, and we are undecided about future children.

When I bought my Snugride 5 yrs ago, that was what everyone bought. Now it doesn't seem as clear cut.

Thanks,

Brandy

suomi777
10-21-2010, 04:17 PM
I forgot to ask, is one narrower than the other? This seat has to also fit three across in a nanny's car, car and nanny yet unknown. So skinnier is definitely better.

Joolsplus2
10-21-2010, 04:55 PM
I find the Snugride 35 to be narrower at the seatback/baby's feet end, making it fit a little nicer next to forward facing/older boostered kids than the Key Fit (at least in my car...if the snugride 30 were available, I'd have you jump on that, it's base is WAY narrower than the 22 or 35!)

AnnieW625
10-21-2010, 05:40 PM
We have a regular Snug Ride now, and I just wish my DS didn't outgrow it so quickly (5 mos.). This baby is 8 weeks old, and we are undecided about future children.

When I bought my Snugride 5 yrs ago, that was what everyone bought. Now it doesn't seem as clear cut.

Thanks,

Brandy

Yeah that's what we did too. I vaguely remember maybe seeing a Chicco KeyFit 22 when we registered for our first Snugride 22 with DD1, but I didn't even remember reading about it in the BBB book. Congratulations on your new little one! In your case unless the baby was really unhappy in the infant seat I would get another.

Actually could you wait for the Snugride 30 to be available?

lizzywednesday
10-21-2010, 05:52 PM
We have a KeyFit 30 and our DD is 7 months, 25" and 17lbs ... and it's suited her just fine so far. She has plenty of room to grow and another row of harness slots to accommodate her height.

The other disadvantage of the KeyFit that Graco lovers will tell you is that the canopy doesn't swivel 180 degrees to shade Baby's head from the sun ... but you can get around it by detaching the back of the canopy & pulling it forward. (It's Velcroed to the back of the seat, not permanently affixed.)

think613
10-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Do you like to pop your infant seat into a snap-n-go or other car-seat compatible stroller? Because I hear the Graco works with almost all strollers/bases whereas the Chicco only works with their own. That was the dealbreaker for me but I guess it depends on your use, if you're just keeping it in your car it shouldn't matter.

nrp
10-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Do you like to pop your infant seat into a snap-n-go or other car-seat compatible stroller? Because I hear the Graco works with almost all strollers/bases whereas the Chicco only works with their own. That was the dealbreaker for me but I guess it depends on your use, if you're just keeping it in your car it shouldn't matter.

Actually, the ubiquitous Baby Trend SNG does take a Keyfit.

lhafer
10-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Either will be just fine. I have a Snugride 35 and love it. DD is 8 months old and around the 6 month mark moved up a notch. She still has another notch to go. I forsee her being in the seat for quite a while longer.

I ended up going with the Graco because it universally fits in more strollers and the extra bases are cheaper. I do not have any issues with putting it in carts, etc. It is heavy and once my baby learned to sit up on her own, I stopped carrying it in places. I got a shopping cart cover and put her directly into the cart instead. The only exception is if she's sleeping. Even then I will put her into a stroller sometimes. I have no problems with this seat at all. I like that I will be able to use for a good 12 months and probably longer.

Chicco Key Fit 30 is for kids up to 30" tall. The Snugride 35 is for kids up to 32" tall. Don't worry about the weight differences.

suomi777
10-21-2010, 08:56 PM
I am confused about the SnugRide 30 not being available? Isn't this it:
http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/IWCatProductPage.process?&Product_Id=2319188

Is the seat itself different from the regular SnugRide? I saw somewhere that there was a universal base for the regular/30/32/35 I thought, so I wonder if the seat dimensions are that different.

Right now I do put my SnugRide in my Valco Everest, but I could just put the baby in if the seat doesn't fit. I also have an Indigo, want to return it but hubby can't get it back in the darned box, so it's probably mine. I would think that any car seat would fit in that, I thought it was pretty universal.

Honestly I care much more about a safe and skinny seat, so that my kid is safe and that the seat fits well in my car, much more important than the seat fitting in the stroller.

Thanks!

justbreathe11
10-21-2010, 09:20 PM
I am confused about the SnugRide 30 not being available? Isn't this it:
http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/IWCatProductPage.process?&Product_Id=2319188

Is the seat itself different from the regular SnugRide? I saw somewhere that there was a universal base for the regular/30/32/35 I thought, so I wonder if the seat dimensions are that different.

Right now I do put my SnugRide in my Valco Everest, but I could just put the baby in if the seat doesn't fit. I also have an Indigo, want to return it but hubby can't get it back in the darned box, so it's probably mine. I would think that any car seat would fit in that, I thought it was pretty universal.

Honestly I care much more about a safe and skinny seat, so that my kid is safe and that the seat fits well in my car, much more important than the seat fitting in the stroller.

Thanks!

That picture really confuses me. The base looks totally different than the base for the 35, no?

suomi777
10-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Someone mentioned that the Snugride 30, when available, would be a good choice since the base is really narrow. Is it really narrower than the Snugride 22 base? Also, the problem that makes me nuts with the installation in my Odyssey is that the Britax seats (Roundabout and Marathon) are wide and kind of flare out, and when I snap the Snugride 22 into the base, I have to tug on my daughter's Roundabout to make sure I get the Snugride all the way snapped into it's base. We actually have driven off a couple of times thinking the Snugride was snapped in and it wasn't. Now we are VERY careful to make sure it is snapped in, but it still makes me nervous and I wish there were a better way. The car seat tech said he can't move the Britax seats any farther out on the bases because of the flare of the Odyssey captain's seats. BTW, the Britax seats are outboard, Snugride in the center seat. So, it seems to me that the Snugride itself is the problem, not the base?? I certainly want to buy a seat that would be narrower if possible, hopefully improve the situation, but definitely one that would not make it worse (i.e., be wider).

One other thought--if the Radian is truly as good as a Roundabout but narrower, maybe I could move the Roundabout into my new car, and get a Radian for this Odyssey, then maybe the infant seat would fit better?

Help!

Joolsplus2
10-22-2010, 04:20 PM
I just stocked the SR30 at BRU today, but only in Mirabella... or in the Brownstone, but only with the Quattro Tour travel system... Here was my impromptu review pictures of it... http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/Snugride30Brownstone#
It has the same shaped bottom as the other SR's and SR35's, but it only fits in the SR30 or SR35 base, not sure what's going to happen to the 22's, I think they only fit in 22 bases, hopefully they don't stop making those anytime soon.

Yeah, the base is rather a lot narrower than the 22 and a bit narrower than the 35 (22 is way wider towards the back than the 35, too).

suomi777
10-22-2010, 09:11 PM
1. IS the seat of the Snugride 30 narrower than the 22? How about the Keyfit? I need a narrow seat, not just a base.

2. Currently in my Odyssey I have in the second row, FF Marathon passenger outboard, Roundabout FF driver's outboard, and Snugride 22 in the middle. This is the only configuration that would fit with professional car seat tech installation. To get the Snugride to snap into place, I have to tug and jiggle the roundabout. I don't like it at all, it doesn't seem safe. Since I have to buy new carseats for the new car anyway, I am considering removing the Roundabout in the Odyssey and replacing with a Radian. I would then have in the new car (likely to be another Odyssey) Graco turbobooster, infant seat, and Roundabout. Would these configurations make for a little more wiggle room and ease of use for the infant seat?
The current problem with the Snugride seems to be from the seat, not the base IMO.

Thanks so much. I don't want to order seats online and then they don't fit. I appreciate the help.

GraceH
10-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Couple thoughts:
>The Graco Turbobooster is wider than many people think it is...you may want to look at narrower options... boosters take up more room than their harnessed counterparts as space is needed between seats for buckling/unbuckling.
>If you need portability for the youngest during older childrens' activites, the SR35 will give you the longest time...
>I think the SR35 is narrower than the SR22/KF at baby's feet, but wider than the SR22/KF at the handle hinge (but the handle hinge tends to be in a spot less likely to have a space premium than the seat bight)
>I would highly recommend going to BRU or another store that will allow you to try out their floor models in your vehicle to ensure your selections puzzle together nicely.

poohbear
10-30-2010, 09:40 AM
Grace makes a good point - try to go somewhere where you can try them out.

Also, as for the ongoing Chicco v. Graco debate. Both are great seats with advantages and disadvantages. i love my Keyfit, but when shopping with my friend for a seat, I recommended she get the SR32 because it was on clearance at BRU for $90 in a nice pattern!
Chiccos will fit in the Baby Trend Snap N Go (I have one and did it. Chicco does not make their own Snap N Go). Also, SQ posted that one company - I think maybe Combi - I don't remember now, is actually coming out with a snap n go that has different base attachments.
Many more strollers are coming out with attachments that accomodate Chicco.
So basically your main issue is how they will fit in your car, so I would try them out.