PDA

View Full Version : Last minute packing help!

LarsMal
10-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Holy smokes, the countdown is on!!!!!

I'm trying so hard not to over-pack, especially since our place has a washer/dryer. I know I'm still taking enough not to do any laundry, though (and who wants to, right- it's vacation). I'll leave the laundry up to MIL if she chooses to do it!

Couple questions:

1) Should I take the kids' Halloween costumes? M is taking her Sleeping Beauty dress, so that could count as her costume. We are not doing the Mickey's NSS Halloween party so I don't really know if they'll need them for anything else.

2) How much warm stuff do I need to pack? I have summery stuff for the day as well as a pair of jeans and a pair of comfy pants for each kiddo. I packed them a couple long-sleeve shirts and a hoodie. Do I need to take their fleeces?

3) Ponchos? I figure we'll pick them up when we get down there. Where do I find them outside the park- Target, Walmart? If I have time tomorrow I'll check out Target, but I have a feeling it will have to wait.

Anything else super important I might not be thinking about? I have sunscreen, hats, bathing suits, first aide stuff, good walking shoes/socks and Crocs (for the kids).

I just did a little refresher online for how to check for bedbugs!!! I just feel like I'm forgetting something important.

ETA: I know we'll be doing a ton of walking when we're at the parks (four days planned, 2 days open). What are the odds I'll actually exercise on the "off" days? I'll already be taking my sneaks, but should I bother packing some workout gear?

mousemom
10-21-2010, 10:24 PM
I can respond to some of your questions. We went in mid-October several years ago. I wore shorts and skirts the whole time (never long pants) and only once or twice needed a long sleeve shirt/light sweater in the evening or early in the morning. We got very warm/sweaty during the day though.

Personally, I would leave the workout gear at home. On average, people walk around 8-12 miles a day there. Seems like enough of a workout to justify a couple of days "off".

Have fun!

Indianamom2
10-21-2010, 10:27 PM
My two cents:

Heck no on the excercise clothes. I feel like I've had a major workout every time I go to one of those parks. Take a break and enjoy.

As to wear to find the ponchos, I always check the camping section of walmart or target and find them there. No need to buy extra expensive park ones, IMO.

If you're not going to NSS Halloween, then I don't see why you would need the costumes. They'll just take up valuable space.

Your warmer clothes list looks fine.

Have fun!

bubbaray
10-21-2010, 10:28 PM
You're not gonna wanna exercise on your 'off' days -- maybe swim, but not exercise on your feet. Disney is enough of a workout!

I would DEFINITELY take the costumes, apparently Halloween is huge in the parks.

I would try to find ponchos close to home (Walmart and Target both carry them) -- if you can't find them, buy them outside of the parks when you get there. Personally, I don't want to spend much/any time outside the parks, so I try to take everything with us.

Have a GREAT trip!

Momof3Labs
10-21-2010, 10:41 PM
You're looking at highs in the 80s and lows in the mid-60s. I'd stick to one pair of pants each (they can wear them on the plane, even) and one hoodie, and leave the fleece, the long-sleeved shirts and second pair of pants at home. Skip the workout gear, too. Disney is workout enough on its own.

I wouldn't bring just crocs for the kids. I'd bring a second pair of walking shoes (I prefer tennis shoes for the kids) for the parks in case the crocs give them problems.

I'd take the costumes only if they are Disney. DS1 had a blast the time he dressed up as Peter Pan in the parks. The kids did not dress up at all on our October trip, and I don't remember seeing many kids dressed up (except for all the girls dressed at princesses - normal year-round at WDW).

LarsMal
10-22-2010, 12:26 AM
You're looking at highs in the 80s and lows in the mid-60s. I'd stick to one pair of pants each (they can wear them on the plane, even) and one hoodie, and leave the fleece, the long-sleeved shirts and second pair of pants at home. Skip the workout gear, too. Disney is workout enough on its own.

I wouldn't bring just crocs for the kids. I'd bring a second pair of walking shoes (I prefer tennis shoes for the kids) for the parks in case the crocs give them problems.

I'd take the costumes only if they are Disney. DS1 had a blast the time he dressed up as Peter Pan in the parks. The kids did not dress up at all on our October trip, and I don't remember seeing many kids dressed up (except for all the girls dressed at princesses - normal year-round at WDW).

I am definitely taking my pedometer. I can't wait to see how many steps I take in a day!! Definitely leaving the workout gear at home. The thought of walking as many miles as you guys say we will is exhausting to even think about, plus pushing strollers!

I meant that I have good walking shoes (sneakers) AND crocs for the kids. I figure they can wear the crocs to the pool and bumming around and their sneaks to the park. I'm also throwing in M's glittery Chucks for her skirts and her sparkle princess shoes for princess breakfast. I can see the ILs rolling their eyes now!

As far as skirts for me. I have a comfy sundress and a denim skirt I was going to take, but I didn't know if they'd be practical to actually wear TO the parks. I'm taking them anyway. I guess I'll figure it out when we get there!

I swear, you'd think I've never been there!! It's been 15 years since I've been, and definitely never as the parent!!! Can't wait!

cmo
10-22-2010, 09:58 AM
We were just there 2 weeks ago, and wore shorts and t-shirts the whole time. It was slightly cool one morning when we left before 9 am, but not uncomfortable. I did wear capris to the park on the last day for the plane ride home. One thing I really wish I had brought was a nightlight for the bathroom!

Have a great time!

WatchingThemGrow
10-22-2010, 02:17 PM
One thing I really wish I had brought was a nightlight for the bathroom!

Have a great time!
Good call. I think we left ours at the beach this summer. Julie, I just have my "travel clothes" as my alternate outfit. It is going to be hot.

I need to get busy packing also. We leave at 6am. OH, the crud we must take with us.. :( I need a packing fairy.

cheri
10-22-2010, 02:21 PM
I'm here now, and it's hot during the day. Cool at rope drop, but it warms up really quickly. I brought one warm outfit for each of us, and I'm not sure we'll even use it. I did bring fleeces for the kids, and took them to Epcot last night, but we never pulled them out of the bag.

We did bring costumes, but we did the Princess breakfast in Norway and we're doing MNSSHP, so we're getting lots of mileage from them. They didn't take up much room, though.

Crowds were great yesterday in Epcot (walked onto everything except Soarin', but used FP for that and it was really fast). Just got back from a morning in MK--rode Dumbo, Pooh, Peter Pan's flight, saw Philharmagic, met princesses in Toontown, and had a FABULOUS meeting with Tiana and Naveen in Liberty Square. Lots of people, but things were moving pretty quickly.

Hope you have a great time!!!! (The stroller advice I got on the earlier thread turned out to be absolutely perfect--hope you enjoy your BJCMD!!)

TwinFoxes
10-22-2010, 02:38 PM
If you don't get around to buying ponchos before you get there, don't stress about it. They're only around $8.00 in the parks (we just bought them!) I don't know how much they are in other places, but it didn't seem that expensive to me. Once it starts raining they put them out in most of the shops.

I hope you have a blast!