PDA

View Full Version : Registries?

MissAndi
10-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Hi All!

I'm attempting to work up my registry. The issue? I currently am shopping at FIVE different stores. We will be receiving gifts from friends and family that are literally scattered around the country. Some of them refuse to use the internet, and of course, all of those folks live in different parts of the country. In addition, we have a number of friends who live overseas, and lots of websites won't let you checkout if you don't have a U.S. ISP address. BAH!!

I'm registering at:
Buy Buy Baby (LOVE their wide selection and customer service)
Babies R Us (NOT in love with their smaller selection and lackluster cust serv)
Amazon (Easy-peasy for folks who are outside the country)
Diapers.com (not sure about this, but they seem to have some very nice deals)
Land of Nod (loving their El Greco line)

Am I crazy? Any suggestions for pairing down on the number of stores?

Help!
:waving4:

Sweetum
10-22-2010, 12:50 AM
I think there is one place where you create a registry that can have items from different websites...freegift or something like that...I'll get back if I remember. Please note that I've never tried it. GL!

ETA: I think this is it: http://www.myregistry.com/ looks like they have an iphone app too now that you can even use to scan items!

MomToOne
10-22-2010, 08:16 AM
I started out using myregistry but I was unhappy with it. The Amazon is just the same thing. You can put any item found anywhere on the internet on it. I still have the button installed in my browser and use it for our ongoing registry. I would just use Amazon, eliminate all the others. Easier to organize too.

The reason you are registering at B&Ms is because of the people who won't use the internet? Are they opposed to even looking at the internet or just using credit cards there (here)? If it's just one or two people maybe they can look at what you want and then buy it at their local B&M and send it to you? Or have someone buy it for you online and send that person a check via snail mail?

lowrioh
10-22-2010, 09:14 AM
That's a lot of registires.
I would keep Amazon and one B&M store....maybe even Target. Use the "universal registry" feature on Amazon so that you can link to items on Diapers.com and Land of Nod if you'd like.
Register for the basic essentials at the B&M store, changing pad, onsies....basically the things that you want that they carry and register for the less conventional brands/items at Amazon.
You will be surprised how many people actually use the online registry. I have several elderly relatives who ended up getting stuff off my Amazon registry....they just had their kids or neices order for them.

SnuggleBuggles
10-22-2010, 09:17 AM
That's a lot of registires.
I would keep Amazon and one B&M store....maybe even Target. Use the "universal registry" feature on Amazon so that you can link to items on Diapers.com and Land of Nod if you'd like.
Register for the basic essentials at the B&M store, changing pad, onsies....basically the things that you want that they carry and register for the less conventional brands/items at Amazon.
You will be surprised how many people actually use the online registry. I have several elderly relatives who ended up getting stuff off my Amazon registry....they just had their kids or neices order for them.

:yeahthat: Too many. Simplify it with those suggestions. :)

Beth

luckytwenty
10-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Most people I know just check BRU, which is why I registered there. I much prefer Amazon and Diapers.com as stores, but I sort of feel like when someone is pregnant or has a new baby, the "default" place to check is just BRU.

CaraW483
10-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Not sure why anyone here is advising you to cut back on registries when two quality universal registry systems exist: amazon.com and myregistry.com. Personally, I went with myregistry for my baby registry and just uploaded my target & amazon registry to it (I had some diapers and books on the baby regsitry) and then added some etsy shop baby clothes as well but I don't think you should cut back any stores. You can have a universal registry just like the first commenter mentioned and consolidate all your store preferences onto one gift list. I usually don't comment on boards but I'd hate for you to cut back any stores (since it's nice to include different ones for best available pricing on certain items) because a. there's no time to sit there worrying which stores you can sign up for, b.universal registries are very common these days, c. it sucks to do research for baby products and then have to eliminate some worthwhile gift suggestions and have to redo your registry organizing all over again since you'll want to focus on various price ranges and offer reasonable gift suggestions. Sorry I was stressed out with mine until we were informed about the universal gift registry by my sister's best friend who was also pregnant at that time and about to host her baby shower. So we went with myregistry.com since that's what she recommended to us but you can definitely do more research if you're looking for something specific.

My questions are less registry more baby shower themes! I've tried the bump forums but it's the same old same old themes. I want some fun activities for guests and cute food options. Or am I placing too much importance on the smaller details? Thanks to anyone who has any suggestions! :)

lizzywednesday
10-22-2010, 04:21 PM
I used Target & Amazon because I wanted things from all over the place.

I have the universal registry button on my browser ... and have since added the wish list button. Both buttons work the same way.

Older folks who are reluctant to shop online can always ask a younger family member to do it for them - I did this for my grandmother for my SIL's bridal shower and it worked out fairly well for us.

vonfirmath
10-22-2010, 04:25 PM
I'd do one B&M and myregistry.com.

I would NOT have more than two registries. But you need the B&M for folk who don't look online for this sort of stuff.

MissAndi
10-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks everybody! Great suggestions. I really wish I could more easily do one B&M and one internet store.

Well, I've started my consolidated list at myregistry.com. That pretty much solves my dilemma. The vast majority of my items are at amazon and Buy Buy Baby, which are my preferred vendors. Land of Nod is really just a crib, so I think that's fine. I've put a few items on at BRU because the family members who loathe internet shopping are less concerned with computer issues than they "like to put their hands on the item to really see it". Of course, no BBBs are in the their areas. Not that it would necessarily occur to them that I've already put my hands on it and really like it. :D But, if I don't put items on a registry at stores within driving distance of them, I'll never hear the end of it.

We went through this with our wedding registry, too, FWIW. I compromised on stores and items to appease those most vocal. This time, I'll give a nod to their needs, rather than roll over.

Massive PIA.