PDA

View Full Version : Party Planning Help-- Teddy Bear Picnic

California
10-22-2010, 02:10 AM
Alright ladies, I know I can count on you for help!

Here's the situation: one of my dearest relatives is critically ill with cancer. We got really bad news right when I would have started planning DD's 2nd birthday party. Obviously we skipped a party.

Now-- my relative is currently holding her own and fairly stable. She is actually a lot of fun to be around, very loving, smiling, and trying to get the most out of life that she can. She is very close to my DD and we're now going to hold a late birthday party that she'll be at, as part of a larger family gathering.

It all sounds great. But I can't seem to get up the energy to plan anything.

You all rock at party planning. (And hey, usually I do too!) So... what would you do if you were traveling for the day to a vacation home, had a woodsy backyard to work with (no jumpies), a big mix of ages with maybe ten little kids, and had a "Teddy Bear" picnic theme? No Costco around, and I don't think we'll have room in the car for much. There is a Vons nearby. My mom has asked if she can provide the cake. I don't want to have to think about this much. So tell me what to do :) I would really, really appreciate it.

elephantmeg
10-22-2010, 06:29 AM
a friend of mine had one for her DD's 1st b-day.

She did kid picnic food (hot dogs, watermelon, cake I think),

I think teddy grahams and gummy bears would be cute to have around :)

It was a "bring your favorite bear" event and then the kids sat on the ground with them for a bear story

Lots of blankets on the ground, some balls etc to play with.

What I distinctly remember was one kid had been whining that his stomach hurt and mom ignored him and he threw up all over where DS was playing. blech.

misshollygolightly
10-22-2010, 07:34 AM
I think you can keep this really simple--it sounds great just as is: picnic blankets, easy food (love the suggestion of Teddy Grahams and Gummy Bears), store-bought cake. Here are a few other suggestions: provide miniature dishes (or at least cups) for the teddy bears to "use", maybe make or buy some simple mini paper party hats for the teddy bears to wear (use the basic paper cone shape to keep it easy), check at Build-A-Bear or a craft store for a birthday outfit for your daughter's bear and/or some relatively inexpensive accessories for teddy bears to give as favors, if you want. Have a couple of spare bears on hand if any guests forget to bring theirs.

And of course have an indoor back-up plan in case of bad weather.

ETA: If you like, you could pick up some bear-themed books (Goldilocks, Paddington, etc.) to give as favors or just to read a few out loud for a storytime the guests and their bears can enjoy while sitting in a circle.

SnuggleBuggles
10-22-2010, 07:35 AM
I did this theme. I didn't wind up doing the picnic portion b/c the 2yos weren't really into it- all they wanted to do was play. :)

But, I bought Boyd's Bears invites and a few of the matching decorations. They had them at BirthdayExpress.com but their pickings are slim now (I would google for it if you like it):
http://www.birthdayexpress.com/Boyds-Bears-Invitations/45206/PartyItemDetail.aspx

We own a ton of awesome, big teddy bears so I got them out and sat them around a kid sized table we have and just on furniture and all about.

I made panda bear cupcakes from the book "Hello Cupcake" and they were labor intensive but adorable. :)

At Borders I found a teddy bear sticker pack. I had those out for a craft but no one touched them.

Favors were bear shaped crayons from Etsy, some bear stickers and Teddy Grahams (not something I usually buy but so cute :)) and put them in Gladware snack sized containers that I decorated with labels and stickers.

It was cute and easy. Oh, food I served b'fast stuff as it was a morning party. :) Bagels, fruit, mini muffins. It's so easy. :) Otherwise I like pulled pork or chili in the crockpot or pizza. Sandwiches for a picnic though would be even better. I'd probably just make an assortment and put them out with sides and fruit.

Beth

Melaine
10-22-2010, 07:42 AM
For the girls' second birthday I did a mock build-a-bear party. I gave each guest a bear and a few clothing items or accessories as a favor. It was fun. If you decide to do any of that stuff for favors, I found that pet outfits in the dollar spot of Target work great. I happened to find them 75% off so I got a bunch of sports jerseys. I also made TuTus for the girls, scarfs (fleece), and something else that I can't remember. If you could find blanket bear t-shirts and let the kids write on them with markers I think that would be super cute.

Hope the party goes great. I'm glad your relative is doing better!

Melaine
10-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Buildabear is having 1/2 off clearance! http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=2315751

tiapam
10-22-2010, 01:23 PM
I think Going on a Bear Hunt would be a good idea. For a book with it:

http://www.amazon.com/Were-Going-Bear-Hunt-Anniversary/dp/1416987118/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1287767424&sr=8-1-spell

This is a pretty classic version, but I think the first time I heard it as a kid was more as a "story" told from memory at a camp or something. Good for a group with mixed ages. Maybe you have a grown up coming who would be particularly good at this? The book would make a great gift and reminder of the party for your DD.

Do you have a tent you could put up? Kids love playing with/in tents. You could also buy DD a tent, Pacific Play Tents are very nice.

It's nice that you will be able to enjoy this time with your loved one. I would assign someone to (discreetly) keep an eye on them - make sure they are well hydrated, rest when need to, etc. Be sure and take lots of pictures.

California
10-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Your ideas are all great and reading this is getting me motivated. It sounds very doable and a lot of fun! We're trying to not let our grief get in the way of living day to day and enjoying this time we have together. Definitely want this party to be sweet and special. Thank you!

mousemom
10-22-2010, 03:20 PM
If you're doing sandwiches, you could use a bear shaped cookie cutter to cut them out. Do you know the Teddy Bear's Picnic song? It might be fun to play/sing that at some point during the party. The song "Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear" would be fun too - you could have the bears do the various motions described in the song. If you wanted to decorate a bit, you could get some teddy bear fabric at a craft store to use as a table cloth. Craftwise, kids could decorate bear masks (you'd probably need to cut them out ahead of time for the little ones) or you could just print out some bear coloring pages. Games - how about pin the bowtie on the bear? Pass the teddy (like hot potato)? Sounds like a fun party!