PDA

View Full Version : ISO: Last minute gift ideas for christening

longtallsally05
10-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Help! My neighbor's not-quite one year-old son is being baptized on Sunday; I need some last minute ideas for a christening present. I am looking to spend about $30. These are the neighbors who put a balloon bouquet on our mailbox when DH came home from his deployment, so we really must acknowledge the occasion.

I have relatively easy access to Pottery Barn, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Lakeshore Learning Store, Babies R Us, Target, WalMart, Costco, Baby Gap, Gymboree.

I'd like to get something that relates to the occasion, that isn't just a generic gift b/c the christening is important to the mother, as she is Catholic, but the father is not, and his family is not thrilled about Catholicism in general and the christening in particular. They aren't go-to-mass every week kind of family, so I think a rosary or bible would be an odd gift. I'm thinking photo frame or something along those lines...I need a specific suggestion at this point!

Any ideas? I'm stumped. Thanks!

AbbysMom
10-22-2010, 02:32 PM
We're a cash only family :) But if I were buying a more sentimental gift in that price range, I think one of the Precious Moments frames or crosses would be cute. I think the Hallmark store sells them for around $30.

elephantmeg
10-22-2010, 03:33 PM
or if you have a Christian book store they have items for those. If not I'd say that hallmark would be the best bet. But I think you also couldn't go wrong with a children's bible or maybe a Christian Kid's CD. We have one called Bible Action Songs that we listen to a lot.

crl
10-22-2010, 03:43 PM
I think a picture frame sounds perfect. A nice, plain one that could hold a picture of the christening.

Catherine

LD92599
10-22-2010, 07:02 PM
We rec'd mostly cash plus 1 person gave a few books and picture frame.

ehf
10-23-2010, 08:05 AM
If you don't want the children's Bible, I found a beautiful book of illustrated psalms--it seemed "softer" to me, but still relevant.

I also gave a silver train piggybank with a check inside for the college fund. It was a big hit. I found it at a local baby boutique.

luckytwenty
10-23-2010, 08:10 AM
Can't really help with religious gifts but if you're right by a PBK, I love those hooded towels, and they are around $25-30.