PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Egg Patties??

StantonHyde
10-22-2010, 02:26 PM
I know, I am asking about something gross, but here goes. DD really likes eggs in the morning--but not scrambled, more of a plaine omelet thing. I am barely getting out the door as it is. Has anyone see frozen egg "patties" that I could nuke and serve to her in the am? Could I make a batch ahead of time and freeze each one in a bag and would they taste ok heated up? TIA!

infomama
10-22-2010, 02:32 PM
well.....I've used egg beaters to make egg scrambles in the micro at work before. May not be exactly what you are looking for as you kind of have to stir them to cook evenly which results in a scramble so to speak. I add a morningstar breakfast sausage and cheese. Everyone drooled over it.
You could give it a try!

brittone2
10-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Would she eat a mini egg "muffin" (just cook the eggs in a silicone muffin pan), that is just plain eggs?

I think that would be healthier and cheaper if she'll go for it. You can freeze them.

EllasMum
10-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Would she eat a mini egg "muffin" (just cook the eggs in a silicone muffin pan), that is just plain eggs?

I think that would be healthier and cheaper if she'll go for it. You can freeze them.

:yeahthat: Here is a recipe that I have been making for a few months. They freeze very well - just take one out and nuke it for about a minute or so, and they are great. I put frozen spinach, cheese, and honey ham into mine, but I'm sure they'd work fine with just the eggs. I make up a batch on the weekend, and then keep 5 in the fridge for every morning. They last at least a week in the fridge.

http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2006/10/egg-muffins-revisited-again.html

KHF
10-22-2010, 02:51 PM
When I make the kids' eggs, I put one egg in a small Pyrex bowl with a splash of milk, stir it up with a fork and microwave it for about 1 minute. Comes out light, fluffy...almost like an egg biscuit. Sometimes I put shredded cheese in them. It literally takes about 2 minutes total.

I wonder where Subway gets their egg frisbees from that they put on their breakfast sandwiches...I'll bet they're frozen and it sounds like what you're looking for :-)

infomama
10-22-2010, 02:54 PM
:yeahthat: Here is a recipe that I have been making for a few months. They freeze very well - just take one out and nuke it for about a minute or so, and they are great. I put frozen spinach, cheese, and honey ham into mine, but I'm sure they'd work fine with just the eggs. I make up a batch on the weekend, and then keep 5 in the fridge for every morning. They last at least a week in the fridge.

Totally going out to buy a silicone muffin pan tomorrow. Those look great! Thanks for posting.

wellyes
10-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Yes, microwave. Doesn't make the best eggs but it works well enough. No pan to wash afterwards, either.

I wonder where Subway gets their egg frisbees from that they put on their breakfast sandwiches...I'll bet they're frozen and it sounds like what you're looking for :-)

I have a friend who owns a Subway and yes, they're all cooked then frozen. Just get heated up to be served. She tells me she'd rather eat styrofoam, heh. I say - put cheese on it & it's yummy anyway :bag

KHF
10-22-2010, 03:18 PM
I have a friend who owns a Subway and yes, they're all cooked then frozen. Just get heated up to be served. She tells me she'd rather eat styrofoam, heh. I say - put cheese on it & it's yummy anyway :bag

I thought so! With some ham, pepper jack cheese, onion, green pepper and toasted it's a pretty tasty breakfast :)

BabyMine
10-22-2010, 03:24 PM
I have seen the frozen egg patties at Walmart. I ate them years ago when I tried the Atkins diet.

StantonHyde
10-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Dang--y'all are awesome!!! I think this will totally work. Ah the wonders of silicone.

I googled silicone muffin pans and tried Williams and Sonoma--no luck. I looked at King Arther Flour and they have silicone mini scone pans (I was trying to think of a way to make the eggs "flatter").

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/scone-pan-silicone-mini

I have seen 6 muffin pans in silicone but not 12. Is that just the way they make them?

newnana
10-22-2010, 08:35 PM
I think I need to try this, but I have a regular mini-muffin tin, not a silicone one. Why silicone? Does it really make a difference?

MontrealMum
10-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Thank you so much for starting this thread! I love having a homemade egg mcmuffin but our egg poacher is aluminum and I really don't want to be using it anymore because this has turned from a treat into my everyday breakfast. Plus it's a PITA to clean! I've been looking for a poacher out of stainless or something but all I've been able to find is this plastic doo-hicky that goes in the micro and at that point maybe I might as well stay with the aluminum.

I have seen 6 muffin pans in silicone but not 12. Is that just the way they make them?

I have mini muffin pans that are 24 (KitchenAid IIRC) and regular sized that are 12 (Calphalon). One set I got at Tuesday Morning, the other, at an outlet mall. The mini muffin size is really too small to do this but I think the regular sized ones might do the trick! Love the idea of the Pyrex bowl in the micro too.

You guys are the best :jammin:

justbreathe11
10-22-2010, 09:43 PM
My mom used to microwave them in tiny pyrex bowls as well. Just spray them with cooking spray, add a dash of milk, maybe some cheese & zap for a few minutes. I would think you could make the egg "batter" a few days ahead of time, so it would be easy to cook in the morning. But then again, maybe you could freeze them?

JElaineB
10-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Dang--y'all are awesome!!! I think this will totally work. Ah the wonders of silicone.

I googled silicone muffin pans and tried Williams and Sonoma--no luck. I looked at King Arther Flour and they have silicone mini scone pans (I was trying to think of a way to make the eggs "flatter").

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/scone-pan-silicone-mini

How about a muffin top pan (silicone or metal)? That would be flatter than a mini muffin or mini scone pan. I am pretty sure King Arthur has a metal one, but I found some silicone ones pretty easy by googling.

StantonHyde
10-22-2010, 11:49 PM
I'm going to try it this weekend with a silicone scone pan I have and I will report back. If somebody beats me to it (cuz goodness knows my intentions and the actual outcomes often don't meet up these days!!) PLEASE post your results. Thanks!

EllasMum
10-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Just a quick note - I have never tried this recipe with the silicone pans. I usually use my stainless steel muffin pan. If you decide to use a stainless steel (or whatever metal) pan, you need to spray it LIBERALLY with non-stick spray - like even the top of the pan, not just the cups. I forgot to do this once and ended up having to throw out the pan because the egg was completely stuck. With the spray, though, they come right out. Just FYI!

daisymommy
10-23-2010, 11:15 AM
I bought my 12 cup silicone muffin pan (as well as a 24 mini muffin pan) at Target--Kitchen Aid brand. Walmart also sells the Nordic Ware brand in silicone.

I use that website for all sorts of egg muffin and casserole recipes, and they are so yummy!

The reason she suggests silicone is the eggs pop out so much easier.

You could also silicone muffin cup liners. I bought a 12 cup set at BBB for $7, Wilton brand. You can sue them in any metal pan you currently have.

gatorsmom
10-23-2010, 01:24 PM

These look YUMMY! And would be good and easy for a Holiday brunch. Thanks for posting this!!!

wellyes
10-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Dumb question from the cooking-impaired.... couldn't I just use muffin papers? You know, the same paper thingys you use for cupcakes? Or would it stick?

daisymommy
10-23-2010, 01:49 PM
I really think that unless you sprayed them all really well, the eggs would stick to the paper. They're just totally different than a bread type thing baked.

wellyes
10-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Rats. You're probably right. I should go buy some of that nonstick spray.

StantonHyde
10-23-2010, 03:17 PM
So I used my silicone mini scone pan today and made 16 mini egg scones. DD scarfed down three of them!!! They pop out of the pan great! Don't try to pick them out of the pan--roll and pop. Because when I picked one up the whole bottom stuck to the pan. They REALLY puff up and they do fall when you take them out of the oven. I just did plain eggs and baked them at 375 for 20 or 25 mins.

Love it!