PDA

View Full Version : perioral dermatitis/clindamycin/DS - help!

lmh2402
10-22-2010, 07:32 PM
G has always had sensitive skin. and last winter he developed some rough patches on his face - little blotchy spots on cheek. but, in hindsight, nothing too terrible.

i had asked our pedi at the time and she said it was "nothing." and to leave it alone. i found that using aquaphor or anything greasy made it worse. triple paste helped.

and then, as the weather got nicer, it went away

but it came back with a vengeance in august. again it started as little blotches on his cheek - but nothing raised. just red

and then morphed into a rashy/bumpy/super-ugly thing all on his chin/around his mouth on one side

it looked awful. i was using triple paste and it was helping some...only a very little bit of improvement.

i took him to see a pedi derm last wed and she said it was perioral dermatitis. sort of like a precursor to acne (!!)

she prescribed clindamycin gel to apply topically twice a day.

so i've been putting it on for 9.5 days now, and his face looks worse than ever!

first of all, his skin now looks burned. today it was fire-red and peely, and still bumpy. and now it seems to bother/hurt him. before, as ugly as it was, it didn't phase him.

and, i'm not sure if this related, but the timing exactly coincides with him becoming suddenly and significantly constipated.

and he never really has constipation issues. and it is not getting better. no matter how much flax seed, or probiotic, or prunes, pears, plums, etc, etc he consumes...

so...

does anyone have experience with perioral dermatitis in your LO? if so, how did you successfully treat?

and has anyone had similar reactions to the clindamycin?

i have decided i'm not using it anymore. i just put some triple paste on tonight. we have a follow up with the derm on wed. it would be great to go in with some specific questions and/or thoughts on what to ask her to try.

thanks so much

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
10-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Clindamycin turned my pillow cases and towels really funky splotchy orange. It took me forever to figure out what was doing it. You may want to use old stuff.