PDA

View Full Version : Pelviectasis

justbreathe11
10-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Has anyone heard of this, or dealt with this before? We found out at our 18 week ultrasound that the baby has it. The diagnosis hit me really hard, and I was a mess for about a week. The doctor said it could clear up on its own, or I could need surgery around 30 weeks. I am really hoping it clears up on its own. This is our miracle baby and I thank God every day for giving him to us!

LMPC
10-22-2010, 08:48 PM
First of all, hugs to you! It's never easy to hear that your baby might be dealing with something outside of the normal realm of development. I have never hear of Pelviectasis, but found this article interesting..
http://www.childrensmemorial.org/depts/fetalhealth/pyelectasis.aspx
I have read it, and it's very reassuring that this is more common than we might think and it is highly possible that it will resolve itself.

I hope that your doctor was able to explain everything to you in clear terms. I remember when the doctor told us that there was something wrong with my placenta and that DD was a low weight baby at 38 weeks. I freaked and a million things went through my head. It was good to have the doctor explain it to me again when I was thinking more clearly.

PT's that this resolves itself!! :hug:

justbreathe11
10-22-2010, 09:52 PM
First of all, hugs to you! It's never easy to hear that your baby might be dealing with something outside of the normal realm of development. I have never hear of Pelviectasis, but found this article interesting..
http://www.childrensmemorial.org/depts/fetalhealth/pyelectasis.aspx
I have read it, and it's very reassuring that this is more common than we might think and it is highly possible that it will resolve itself.

I hope that your doctor was able to explain everything to you in clear terms. I remember when the doctor told us that there was something wrong with my placenta and that DD was a low weight baby at 38 weeks. I freaked and a million things went through my head. It was good to have the doctor explain it to me again when I was thinking more clearly.

PT's that this resolves itself!! :hug:

Thank you SO much!! I actually only heard about 1/2 of what the doctor said because I was in shock. But, I asked the nurse a bunch of questions in the days that followed. I have another appt next week, and I am going to ask again to hopefully clarify a few things.

brgnmom
10-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Thank you SO much!! I actually only heard about 1/2 of what the doctor said because I was in shock. But, I asked the nurse a bunch of questions in the days that followed. I have another appt next week, and I am going to ask again to hopefully clarify a few things.

that's good that you have a follow-up appointment next week and find out more information about the specific diagnosis. Sometimes radiologists can overcall something -- for example, at my level II ultrasound early on in the summer, the attending actually misinterpreted something and my DH (who is an m.d. radiologist) called him on it. My OB double-checked and realized that the first radiologist who thought there was a cyst in my baby's brain was incorrect.

I hope that all goes well. :)