PDA

View Full Version : Anyone regret getting a Wii or similar

hillview
10-23-2010, 08:42 AM
Has the Wii become a problem in your house? Meaning too much screen time or debate?
TIA
/hillary

egoldber
10-23-2010, 08:49 AM
I do regret it, but for the opposite reason. It never gets used here so I feel it was not a wise use of my $200 LOL!

daphne
10-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Yes, I totally regret it. I was never in favor of it, but let DH buy it for DS. It's become DS's favorite activity. I limit it to about 30 mins/day, but I still think it's a waste of time.

Karenn
10-23-2010, 12:33 PM
I've regretted it a few times. When DS gets a new game he can be really compulsive about mastering it. We had to set up extremely firm boundaries. We also stopped buying new games as often. It's not nearly as much of an issue as it was when we first got the wii. More often, I'm glad that we made the purchase -but there have been times that I've wanted to chuck it out the window. :)

Ceepa
10-23-2010, 12:37 PM
We never used it so we sold it for the amount we paid.

katydid1971
10-23-2010, 01:39 PM
I have been very happy with it so far. We only have "active" games and DS isn't obsessed with it. We really don't even use it in the summer but it is nice when the weather is bad. We'll see how I feel about it after Christmas, BIL is getting DS Lego Star Wars which I don't think is an active game.

justlearning
10-23-2010, 05:01 PM
I do regret it and talked with DH last night about disconnecting it and trying to bring it out just when friends are here, etc.

We've had it now for 5 months and my 7-year-old son would be fine playing it just minimal amounts. But my 4 year-old son wants to play it ALL the time (and wants big bro to play with him when he's home). I've tried to set limits but he whines a lot about not having anything to do, etc. when he's not able to play the Wii (even though we now have more toys than DS1 did when he found plenty of things to do when he was 4).

I've found that the biggest reason I regret having the Wii is that it makes me be a worse parent. It's SO much easier to just let DS2 play the Wii for longer periods of time, allowing me to get more work done, than having to entertain him or help him do more creative activities. DH and I have also begun to rely upon the Wii, telling the boys they can play the Wii if we're wanting to have some quiet time to talk without interruption. It's an easy babysitter, but I don't think that's a healthy way to parent.

So today we're going to disconnect the Wii and see how that goes...

BTW, I'm glad that my boys do know how to play the Wii now, though, because EVERY ONE of their friends owns the Wii and wants to play it during playdates. So at least they do fit in socially better with them now, although that's probably not a good reason to buy a Wii. We also don't have as many games as their friends do, so although my kids do understand how the Wii works, can control the remotes, etc., they still aren't as good at the games that only their friends own.

luckytwenty
10-23-2010, 05:54 PM
I felt that way about the DS. We always had to monitor how much time my son was on it. With the Wii, we have to set it up and we always make it a family activity. But honestly, my kids aren't that into it. They're kind of low tech.

SnuggleBuggles
10-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Nope, we like it. :)

Beth

Twoboos
10-23-2010, 07:12 PM
We like it. :) We don't play it that much, but strangely, DH just started it up today for a round of bowling.

Some of the games I regret. We have to help the girls and it can become tedious.

But we all really like the Wii Resort sports games.

yournamehere
10-23-2010, 08:15 PM
I do regret it, but for the opposite reason. It never gets used here so I feel it was not a wise use of my $200 LOL!

:yeahthat:

katydid1971
10-23-2010, 09:46 PM
We like it. :) We don't play it that much, but strangely, DH just started it up today for a round of bowling.

Some of the games I regret. We have to help the girls and it can become tedious.

But we all really like the Wii Resort sports games.

Which games, we only have a couple game and would like to get some more for Christmas and I would love to hear what to AVOID!!! ;)