PDA

View Full Version : Baby Will arrived... epi failed!

oneontheway
10-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Finally I'm not pregnant!! Baby Will arrived yesterday afternoon. The worst part was that the first epidural did not work (after having two prior births this didn't even cross my mind so of course this time I waited as long as possible to get one - big mistake). I was screaming in pain (and I'm not a screamer) they made me lie flat on my back with legs flat which made it 100x worse. The nurse was not very supportive. I don't know how you ladies do it. This was number three and probably the most painful! Finally they got a second epi in before delivery. Now I understand why people don't want pit with a natural birth. Anyway, I'm sure I'll soon forget the trauma as I look upon this precious little guy!

DebbieJ
10-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Congrats!

Try 12 hours of pit-induced labor with no epi......yes, I'm a glutton for punishment!

daisymommy
10-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Congratulations! :cheerleader1:
I'm sorry your labor and delivery were difficult and your epi didn't work.
FWIW...you are correct that the absolute worst way to deliver a baby, and the most painful is flat on your back. Those of us who choose to deliver naturally don't do it on our backs, feet up in stirrups or legs flat down for that very reason. Crazy that the birthing establishment is so clueless that they force women to still do that for *their* convenience. I'm sorry you had to deal with that .

But glad that your baby is hear safe and sound and you can enjoy him now!

brittone2
10-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Congratulations! :cheerleader1:
I'm sorry your labor and delivery were difficult and your epi didn't work.
FWIW...you are correct that the absolute worst way to deliver a baby, and the most painful is flat on your back. Those of us who choose to deliver naturally don't do it on our backs, feet up in stirrups or legs flat down for that very reason. Crazy that the birthing establishment is so clueless that they force women to still do that for *their* convenience. I'm sorry you had to deal with that .

But glad that your baby is hear safe and sound and you can enjoy him now!

Yes to this.

There's no WAY I could do it flat on my back, and I've birthed 3 babies without meds. There's just no way I can stand being on my back in bed. If you ever opt to go unmedicated in the future, insist on a different position for birth. You have that right as a patient.

Congratulations! Enjoy those newborn snuggles!

Katigre
10-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Congratulations on the birth of your son!

I can't believe the nurses made you lie flat on your back - I can't lay on my back at all during labor, it makes everything so painful (and I don't generally regular contractions painful, just super strong pressure). During DD's birth I didn't even lay down for cervical checks b/c it was too painful (instead I asked the midwife to crouch down and check me while I stood and squatted - SO much better :)). I hate that you didn't have supportive nurses either! I could never, ever have done the births I did with DS and DD if I hadn't had nurses and a doula who made it their mission to help me, support me, and accomodate what I needed. I wrote the hospital nurses a thank you note after DS's birth because they were so awesome.

I hope that the trauma fades quickly and that your newborn is relaxed and easygoing during these early weeks.

MoJo
10-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Welcome, Will!

Sorry you had such a hard time with his birth, oneontheway. That sounds terrible!

Those of us who choose to birth without the epi often have very helpful nurses, freedom to choose whatever position feels right, and some training in handling the contractions without meds. And sometimes, we still scream. . . at least I know I did during the pushing phase.

Hope you get lots of newborn snuggles!

SnuggleBuggles
10-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Welcome, Will!

Sorry you had such a hard time with his birth, oneontheway. That sounds terrible!

Those of us who choose to birth without the epi often have very helpful nurses, freedom to choose whatever position feels right, and some training in handling the contractions without meds. And sometimes, we still scream. . . at least I know I did during the pushing phase.

Hope you get lots of newborn snuggles!

Congratulations and I completely agree with pp! If you plan a medicated birth and don't get one I think that is way, way harder than planning an unmedicated birth. A planned unmedicated birth is a totally different thing and can be a wonderful, happy experience (I have had 2 :)).

Enjoy your new little guy!!!!

Beth

ThreeofUs
10-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Welcome to the world, Will! And congratulations to you and your family!

So sorry about your experience. Hugs!

liamsmom
10-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Congratulations on the arrival of your son! Welcome to the world Will! :love5:

I'm sorry you had a hard and unsupportive labor. :hug:

luckytwenty
10-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Welcome to the world, Baby Will!

I can't believe that nurse. What a sadist.

KpbS
10-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Welcome to the world, little Will! :hug:

swissair81
10-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Yes to this.

There's no WAY I could do it flat on my back, and I've birthed 3 babies without meds. There's just no way I can stand being on my back in bed. If you ever opt to go unmedicated in the future, insist on a different position for birth. You have that right as a patient.

Congratulations! Enjoy those newborn snuggles!

What she said.

Oh and my most recent birth was my fourth & the labor was my most painful. At least it was short and painful.

brgnmom
10-24-2010, 03:13 AM
congratulations on the arrival of Will! :)

sorry about your laboring experience and about how the epi didn't work. I can't believe that the nurse was so unsupportive. :hug: I hope that all the precious and loving newborn moments make up for the l&d experience.

citymama
10-24-2010, 03:26 AM
Welcome to the world, Will! I hope you have a quick post-partum recovery and get to enjoy your new bundle! Congrats. :bighand:

oneontheway
10-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks so much for all your wishes! In retrospect I realize how bad it was I was flat on my back and I would of just told them I was sitting up. To make it even worse, I was at 10 centimeters and kept telling the nurse the pressure was huge even with the second epi and she said it would be a centi an hour and I was last at 6 so it would be a few hours. I finally insisted the doc come in and 19 minutes later the baby was born. My last two experiences at this hospital were very different. It is a well respected hospital but I guess the nurse can make ALL the difference.
The baby has been in photo therapy almost since born. I've only gotten him for feedings and then right back. His jaundice is caused by the our difference in blood types. But I AM even that much more grateful to be taking him this evening!!
Thanks again for your wishes and hold on tight expecting mamas, your baby's bday will be here before you know it and even if its not what you planned or even sort of negative like mine, its still SOOOOO worth it!!

Melbel
10-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Congratulations on your sweet baby boy Will!

LMPC
10-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Welcome to the world, lil' guy! Way to go mom!!! :bighand:

WolfpackMom
10-24-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm sure they didn't let you out of bed since you had the epi, eventhough the first one didn't work. Glad you were able to get the second before delivery and so sorry that nurse was crap! I can't imagine keeping my legs flat!
Welcome baby!!!

AnnieW625
10-25-2010, 02:13 PM
Congratulations, welcome to the world little Will:). With DD1 the only reason I caved and got an epidural was because of pitocin. The pitocin worked a little too well in my situation. I went from 5/1/2 cm. to 10/1/2 cm. in a little less than 3 hrs (got the epidural a little less than an hour before I started pushing; I don't think they had a clue I was that far along).

With DD2 although it was painful I didn't have pitocin (except after delivery to help get the after birth out), and therefore no epidural so pushing hurt more than I remembered, but no where near as much as contractions with pit. hurt.

Kitten007
10-26-2010, 01:09 AM
Sorry I am late to congratulating you!!! CONGRATS!!!! Welcome baby Will!! Sorry you had such a bad experience, but great job!!!

Fairy
10-26-2010, 01:17 AM
Congrats to you!

LadyPeter
11-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Welcome, Baby Will!

Stories like this are why I practiced Hypnobirthing, even though I planned to get an epidural. Never hurts to have a backup plan!