PDA

View Full Version : How long can I keep this chili cooking?

Fairy
10-23-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm making chili for this Halloween Party. I cooked the ground beef, onion, and green pepper last night, and it's currently in the fridge. I usually add chili beans and stewed tomatoes with some chili pepper and let it cook for a bit, and taht's it. But I've doubled the recipe, and I need to not be stuck in the kitchen cooking. I wanted to stick the cooked beef mix, the tomatoes, and the beans in a stock pot and let it go for the day. I cannot use a crockpot cuz it's already going to be in use for the meatballs. How long can I safely have this chili on the burner and at what level, super duper lowest setting, or more like medium low?

trentsmom
10-23-2010, 01:40 PM
I would have no problem letting chili cook all day at a low setting, just so that it's at a low simmer. If I saw big bubbles coming up, I'd turn it down some more.

wellyes
10-23-2010, 01:55 PM
8 hours plus. That's the whole point of chili!

brittone2
10-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I'd get it heated up pretty quickly if you are reheating, and then turn down to a simmer. As long as it is steamy hot, I wouldn't worry if it goes most of the day. When I make stock I often cook it for 12-24 hours on the stove.

connor_mommy
10-23-2010, 05:04 PM
With chili, the longer it cooks, the better it tastes.

DebbieJ
10-23-2010, 05:06 PM
oh yeah, just turn it down low and let it sit.