PDA

View Full Version : Please help me put together a garage shelving system

Sweetum
10-24-2010, 01:41 PM
DH and I are not exactly handy but we are willing to do stuff if it's not too complicated (DH did container store closet in one of our bedrooms). We have a garage that does not have any shelves, but we have lots of stuff esp suitcases that we would like to store there. also things like toilet paper and kitchen towel packets from costco and things like that. We don't have a lot of space in the garage - just enough for our 2 midsize cars, and strollers, and some of the stuff that currently on the floor to one side of the garage. So, preferable the shelves would be overhead type - starting from about 6 feet off the ground or more. Please recommend a shelving system that's easy to install, that is sturdy and that's not too expensive. Appreciate your responses. Thanks.

-SunshineAndMe

Sweetum
10-25-2010, 04:35 PM
anyone? thanks...

Globetrotter
10-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Check out Costco for shelves and systems (online, also). I love the Container store!

crispychicky
10-25-2010, 06:16 PM
I would probably use this http://www.lowes.com/pd_114846-362-93570_0__?productId=1005051&Ntt=closetmaid+wire&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dclosetmaid%2Bwire
It's definitely sturdy, easy to install and relatively cheap. I'd go with wire since they'd allow for air flow and wouldn't really collect dust or grime up there.

It sounds like you may want something wider though if you want to put suitcases and bulkier items on it. That's tough though because if they're too wide, you won't be able to access them (have to stand where the car is parked to reach; can't reach the back of the shelf since 6ft off the ground, etc).

You could always rip some plywood to be the width you want and mount it up with heavy duty brackets to make your own shelves.