PDA

View Full Version : Room temp and covers for YOU

hillview
10-24-2010, 08:22 PM
What do you keep your heat on and what do you have for bed covers?

We keep it at 67-68 and have an OLD down comforter (that IMO needs to be replaced).
/hillary

SnuggleBuggles
10-24-2010, 08:32 PM
If I had my way it would be about 66 and I would use my Velux blanket with Amish quilt on top. :)

Beth

♥ms.pacman♥
10-24-2010, 08:44 PM
in the winter we usually keep thermostat around 68. so far we haven't had to turn on heat yet though..some nights tho it was getting down to 70 at night, but until it gets to 67 we won't turn the heat on.

and we have a down comforter that we've had for a while. i love it bc theres no fussing with sheets/covers, it's all a single piece.

eta: i think my ideal temp totally depends if i'm preggo and/or nursing. right now if i had my way, i'd have it set to 65. i get really really hot at night in general, and now it's even worse. plus its' still "summer" here. 74 is the absolute *max* temp i can tolerate (was set to 72-73 but then we got our bill..). normally i' prefer warmer temps and DH & I used to argue over this but with the preggo/nursing hormones it's a totally different story..now i'm usually the first to complain it's too hot. we went to a friends house last weekend and her thermostat was set to 79 and we were all sweating buckets, including DS.

TwinFoxes
10-24-2010, 08:52 PM
The lowest I can do is 73. And I hate it, I want it balmy. But we have a nice down comforter, and I use a cotton thermal blanket as well. I also happily snuggle DH and even encourage our dog to sleep on the bed for more body heat.

DH would happily keep it in the 60s. He'll have to try that with wife #2. ;)

Indianamom2
10-24-2010, 08:57 PM
We keep the temp pretty cool in the house year round. We haven't turned the heat on yet and it's gotten down to 30 outside. I would guess that upstairs where all the bedrooms are, it gets somewhere between 65-68 degrees at night.

We sleep under a sheet, cotton quilt and this blanket from Bed, Bath and Beyond:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=114118&RN=116&

Actually, I think it's this one, and it's just a throw (we have one for each of us), but it is SO incredibly soft and warm. It's my blankie!

gcc2k
10-24-2010, 09:11 PM
I guess I'm the cheap one. We keep the house at 64 degrees (though that will probably change once DS1 arrives in January) and we sleep under a sheet, a woven blanket, and a comforter.

JoyNChrist
10-24-2010, 09:13 PM
DH would happily keep it in the 60s. He'll have to try that with wife #2. ;)

Mine too. I keep the thermostat on 72 year-round.

We have thin down comforter and a few quilts that our grandmothers made. DH usually ends up with just the sheet while I'm huddled under all of the blankets.

jenfromnj
10-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Pre-DS we used to keep the house at 63-64 at night and used a sheet and big fluffy down comforter. Now, we keep the temp at 68-69 and I sleep with a sheet and light cotton blanket. Only regular cotton sheets--I am a super hot sleeper, so flannel or jersey sheets are not my friend.

newg
10-24-2010, 09:18 PM
we keep it around 68........last winter I think we had it go down to 66 while we were sleeping.....but with DD2 still waking me up at night to nurse, I think we'll hold off on dropping it that low.
We sleep with a flat sheet and a quilt.......when it gets really cold here we'll also throw a down comforter ontop. I love being all snuggly!

DietCokeLover
10-24-2010, 09:20 PM
We keep it around 68 or so and sleep under a sheet and a down comforter. I used to like it much warmer and sleep under lots of blankets, but my body temperature changed after having DCs, so I like it cooler now.

SkyrMommy
10-24-2010, 09:20 PM
DD's half of the house 68 at night, our half probably 64 or so with LLBean down comforter, flannel sheets & a wool batting quilt made by my mom... and I still curl up as close as I can to DH to be warm.

WolfpackMom
10-24-2010, 09:25 PM
I like it warm but my wallet does not. Pre DS we kept it around 65-66 abd lots if blankets etc. Now we have it at 67-68 and still a sheet, down, and a quilt for me because I like to get snuggled up. DH usually throws one of those back on to me bc it's too hot for him. Funny enough I like covers to be snuggly but having dh hold me is way.too.hot he's like s radiator!

LD92599
10-24-2010, 09:27 PM
At night we keep it on 58-60. We have a down blanket (not comforter) plus a polar fleece blanket and flannel sheets. I just need the heat turned up as we're getting ready for bed and then in the AM from about 6:30-8 before we head out for the day.

Pear
10-24-2010, 09:55 PM
My choice would be about 50-55 and a nice thick down comforter.
Alas we keep it at 68 and I sleep with just a sheet and sweat all night.

Dream
10-24-2010, 10:27 PM
We're set the thermo to go down to 60 after 11pm and we only have a regular comforter. I usually turn on the heating pad to warm the bed and turn it off before getting into beg although we won't be able to do that this winter with DD sharing our bed.

I'm hoping to buy a down comforter but its quite $$$.

crl
10-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Well, with the baby, we have started keeping the place warmer at night. Around 70. If it were just me? I'd set it at 62 at night. I love a cold room with a big heavy down comforter piled on top of me. But dh objects, so even when the baby is old enough for blankets, we will probably return to about 67 at night.

Catherine

marie
10-24-2010, 10:36 PM
We keep our room at 62 and sleep with flannel sheets, quilt and down comforter (and often 2 cats!).

Last year we didn't have heat in our bedroom and it was 57 during the coldest parts of the winter. THAT was too cold for me!

kijip
10-25-2010, 12:32 AM
The house is in the 60s. We have not yet turned on the heat, do not need it yet. Likely this week, we set it to mid the high 60s for wake up time, lower for night and when the house is empty.

We have a sheet, a woven cotton blanket and a cotton, thicker bed spread.

The older boys (7 and 8) have basically the same as us, though T has a quilt instead of a spread and B has a Star Wars synthetic fill comforter.

dotgirl
10-25-2010, 01:08 AM
DH and I are about as opposite as can be about heat, so it's been a hard slog to get to a point where we are both comfy - here's what we do:

We have an electric theromostat, and keep it set to 61 from 11pm (which is shortly before we go to bed) until 6am (which is about 30 minutes before DH wakes up).

We have flannel sheets and use a down comforter with a cotton duvet cover. The comforter is from Company Store, and is the "Light" one (69 - 74F) - DH gets really warm even then, and will often throw off the comforter and sleep with just the sheet.

We also have a heated mattress pad with separate "sides" - I use mine to preheat my side before I bed. DH rarely uses his.

DD is more like me, so she has a heated mattress pad and down comforter. DS is more like DH and sleeps in long jammies and a fleece blanket.

doberbrat
10-25-2010, 08:06 AM
I live in an old house w/little insulation so even though the thermostat may be at 62-65 at night, in our bedroom the temps can be as low as 50.

we have flannel sheets, a cotton thow, polar fleece blanket topped by a thick down blanket. and my kids have always slept w/blankets from the day they come home.

hbridge
10-25-2010, 08:27 AM
I live in an old house w/little insulation so even though the thermostat may be at 62-65 at night, in our bedroom the temps can be as low as 50.

We don't have heat registers in our bedroom, so with the door closed, it can get down to the 40's in our bedroom on cold winter nights. We have a medium weight L.L.Bean down comforter that we use. It's getting out of the cozy bed in the morning that's the problem.

khalloc
10-25-2010, 08:34 AM
We dont really turn the heat on much in our bedroom. I keep the heat at 55 and have a down comforter and a thin Pottery Barn type quilt on top of that. Sometimes I open a window too. But that usually ends by Novemberish.

egoldber
10-25-2010, 08:39 AM
We also have a heated mattress pad with separate "sides" - I use mine to preheat my side before I bed. DH rarely uses his.

:yeahthat:

This is the best.thing.ever!!! DH and I can heat each side to different temps. I love it.

The kids have them now too. Younger DD especially started sleeping much, much better after we put one on her bed.