PDA

View Full Version : Another bed bug thread

ShanaMama
10-24-2010, 09:04 PM
DH & I are going to a hotel this week & I am trying to educate myself about bedbugs. I checked the bed bug registries someone posted on here & my hotel looks good. I just watched two videos on YouTube about checking your hotel room. They both suggested checking the headboard. So... my question is are you actually removing the headboard from the wall to check it? I want to have peace of mind in my hotel room; not sure if that will be better acheived by doing a thorough search or sticking my head in the sand. :bag
It sounds like I'm going to have to have DH bring along tools on vacation! On the YouTube videos they actually removed the headboards completely from the wall.

Cam&Clay
10-24-2010, 09:29 PM
When DH found them in his hotel room AFTER my disaster with them months earlier, he didn't need to remove the headboard. It was obvious by pulling back the fitted sheet and lifting the mattress and looking at the boxspring.

Funny you should post this because I was just going to post about the new interesting thing I found...a bedbug app for the iPhone. Looks interesting and informative. It even shows pics of the bites. Going to post about it now.

Good luck.

gatorsmom
10-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Check for bedbugs in your hotel room- yes, by all means. But DEFINITELY do what you need to to prevent them from hitchhiking home with you. From everything I read, infestations are nightmares.

There have been some very informative threads here lately with links about which steps to take to prevent them coming home with you. Do a search. I remember one tip was to leave luggage in the bathtub, if possible because bedbugs typically don't infest the bathroom. Also, they have a hard time climbing up the porcelin tub.

Hope your trip goes well!

ShanaMama
10-25-2010, 12:25 AM
But DEFINITELY do what you need to to prevent them from hitchhiking home with you. From everything I read, infestations are nightmares.

There have been some very informative threads here lately with links about which steps to take to prevent them coming home with you. Do a search. I remember one tip was to leave luggage in the bathtub, if possible because bedbugs typically don't infest the bathroom. Also, they have a hard time climbing up the porcelin tub.

Hope your trip goes well!
Ok, I would love to hear those tips again because I did a search and didn't find any. Is there a website I scan skim through?

gatorsmom
10-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Ok, I would love to hear those tips again because I did a search and didn't find any. Is there a website I scan skim through?

Ok, I found the one I was thinking of. This offered really hellpful advice imo:

http://moneywatch.bnet.com/saving-money/blog/family-finance/bed-bug-danger-5-ways-to-stay-safe-when-you-travel/2517/

I thought this was informative (and gross) too: http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/housingandclothing/M1196.html

hth!