PDA

View Full Version : Kijip --Katie

JBaxter
10-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Do you have another little guy at your house now? I caught your siggy and thought I would ask.

daisymommy
10-25-2010, 08:54 AM
I saw that too, and I thought--you never cease to amaze me with your selfless giving and helpfulness, generosity and kindness to those in need.

jse107
10-25-2010, 08:56 AM
i was just about to post this same thing! Great minds and all...

Katie, you are one amazing mama. I always appreciate your insight and POV--and I'm glad you're sharing it with another short person!

TwinFoxes
10-25-2010, 08:59 AM
She mentioned very briefly in another thread she's a guardian now. She must have an amazing amount of energy! And a big heart.

kijip
10-25-2010, 11:37 AM
We do have a small, longer term visitor. ;)He will be with us for hopefully a short time only, as he and his mom obviously want and need to be together. However his mother had a relapse with her drug and alcohol issues over the summer and we agreed to sign up as his guardians while she went to detox/rehab. She is out now but not able to find housing or in a situation that would be good for him. So he stays with us and visits her during the weekends. In someways it is easier to have two boys that age to care for than 1, so the arrangement is not without significant benefit to us and T and F. We also have been able to get him into a group for children whose parents have issues with addictions.

The biggest challenge is that we are boring nerdy people with at least one nerdy son and B is very go go go with significantly different ideas of fun. But he likes the structure and the stability and the big thing that he loves is getting to do boy scouts for the first time, something J will continue to do with him even after he is hopefully reunited with a sober and more stable mother. In many ways, T is challenged to be more active and do more things because B is here and B is challenged to read more, study more so it is a nice balance for both of them.

I only did what my mother would have done in this circumstance. We are very able to help, so we are called to do what we can, when we can. It is also way easier to open my home to a child than to an adult, we have made a pack that there will be no adults living here unless that person is my dad, lol.

JBaxter
10-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Thats awesome. So its kind of like kinship care?

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
10-25-2010, 11:41 AM
We do have a small, longer term visitor. ;)He will be with us for hopefully a short time only, as he and his mom obviously want and need to be together. However his mother had a relapse with her drug and alcohol issues over the summer and we agreed to sign up as his guardians while she went to detox/rehab. She is out now but not able to find housing or in a situation that would be good for him. So he stays with us and visits her during the weekends. In someways it is easier to have two boys that age to care for than 1, so the arrangement is not without significant benefit to us and T and F. We also have been able to get him into a group for children whose parents have issues with addictions.

The biggest challenge is that we are boring nerdy people with at least one nerdy son and B is very go go go with significantly different ideas of fun. But he likes the structure and the stability and the big thing that he loves is getting to do boy scouts for the first time, something J will continue to do with him even after he is hopefully reunited with a sober and more stable mother. In many ways, T is challenged to be more active and do more things because B is here and B is challenged to read more, study more so it is a nice balance for both of them.

I only did what my mother would have done in this circumstance. We are very able to help, so we are called to do what we can, when we can. It is also way easier to open my home to a child than to an adult, we have made a pack that there will be no adults living here unless that person is my dad, lol.

You are a good egg, Katie.

kijip
10-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Thats awesome. So its kind of like kinship care?

Yup, the rules are looser for that and we are the closest thing he has to kin in the state. The mom has no contact with her family of origin because her parents were very abusive. T and B went to preschool together and go way back. Mom is not, from past experience always like this so we are all hoping for a good recovery.

JustMe
10-25-2010, 11:50 AM
Best wishes to you, your family, and B and his mom during this time. I am sure the help you are providing will greatly benefit B and his mom, and it sounds like possibly there are some benefits to your family as well. I'm sure its certainly challenging in some ways, so sending some positve thoughts as well.

JBaxter
10-25-2010, 11:51 AM
The rules are fairly loose here too. Its a great alternative to what could have been. ;) Its nice to have people like you on the earth.

Big Ol pat on the back for you :D

ThreeofUs
10-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Awesome, Katie. Thank you.

ha98ed14
10-25-2010, 12:11 PM
I think the best part is that J is willing/ intends to keep up with doing Scouts with him. That's a life commitment from a man, and boys need that SO badly. Kudos to you and your fam!

caleymama
10-25-2010, 12:11 PM
You are a good egg, Katie.

:yeahthat:

Ceepa
10-25-2010, 12:33 PM
I admire that your actions back up your words about helping those who need it. You actually take a personal stake in the lives of those you feel need assistance instead of only talking the big talk.

LOL. That's my clumsy way of saying :bighand:.

JTsMom
10-25-2010, 12:54 PM
I admire that your actions back up your words about helping those who need it. You actually take a personal stake in the lives of those you feel need assistance instead of only talking the big talk.

LOL. That's my clumsy way of saying :bighand:.:yeahthat: I couldn't agree more.

crayonblue
10-25-2010, 01:15 PM
"I only did what my mother would have done in this circumstance. We are very able to help, so we are called to do what we can, when we can."

You obviously had a great example and are being a great example. Very cool indeed.

urquie
10-25-2010, 06:28 PM
very cool katie! :thumbsup:

wellyes
10-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Wow, you're even awesomer than I thought! You're a role model, you know that? Good for you.

hillview
10-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Wow that is such a wonderful story -- you are a gift.
/hillary