PDA

View Full Version : How do I find a nanny in a small city....

gatorsmom
10-25-2010, 12:11 PM
...that I'm not completely familiar with? We are moving 2.5 hours away and I'll need a nanny fulltime when we get there. There are no nanny recruiting agencies in town but there are 3 universities which might provide some leads. I'm just not sure how to work those possibities. One is a has a great nursing school. Any suggestions?

ha98ed14
10-25-2010, 12:19 PM
I would contact the local MOMS club and any other young-child-oriented groups and tell them that you are looking for a FT nanny and if they know anyone who is looking, to please pass on your name and number. I would also try CL for the nearest major city. Some people might post or look there and be willing to commute 20-30 minutes. In this economy, work is work.

ThreeofUs
10-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Does Sittercity have any presence in the area? If not, I'd talk to your RE agent and ask for help getting into the network.

Also, almost all universities have a job board (electronic and paper). Call the career center for each university and ask how to post.

HTH

Sillygirl
10-25-2010, 12:28 PM
We got our nanny from an ad in the local paper, and we live in a small town with a small university nearby. We got several responses, and liked her the best. She's been with us 2 1/2 years and we all love her.

poppy
10-25-2010, 12:47 PM
We used care.com
$30 per month to search, 25% code on retailmenot.

mousemom
10-25-2010, 03:32 PM
We live in a university town and found our first nanny on craigslist and our current one through the university's online job board.

mommy111
10-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Found a couple of fantastic girls through the online job listing board of a local university. You have to screen them, though, we also found a few who I would never, ever, ever leave my child alone with

boogiemomz
10-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Care.com is awesome. I found an amazing mother's helper there for when I was recovering from surgery and she became our regular babysitter until we moved.