PDA

View Full Version : Calcium for allergy kids?

BabbyO
10-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Looking for some ideas. DS has Dairy, soy and nut allergies. He's 15 mo and until recently he's been using Rice or Oat milk instead of cow's milk (recommended by Dr since he's allergic to dairy).

He has recently started a (rice) milk strike. He just won't drink it. Oat milk is received slightly better, but I'm concerned about his calcium intake.

Any suggestions? With the soy allergy many breads/cereals are out.

peanut520
10-25-2010, 03:11 PM
there is lots of calcium in green leafy veggies not just milk... here are some other sources i can think of: seaweeds, nuts and seeds, blackstrap molasses, beans, oranges, figs, quinoa, amaranth, and calcium orange juice products

daisymommy
10-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Just a slight side note...have you tried goats milk before with him? It contains calcium, is pretty easy to find, and many kids with a dairy allergy can tolerate it.

BabbyO
10-29-2010, 02:26 PM
there is lots of calcium in green leafy veggies not just milk... here are some other sources i can think of: seaweeds, nuts and seeds, blackstrap molasses, beans, oranges, figs, quinoa, amaranth, and calcium orange juice products

We're off of soy and nuts, too, but I didn't know about the beans. It made me do a little more research...and I found out chick peas (#1 ingredient in hummus) are fairly high in calcium. We love hummus, so thanks for the tip. I'll have to make more of an effort to get oranges, too. We just don't seem to get very good oranges here so I don't usually get them.

Just a slight side note...have you tried goats milk before with him? It contains calcium, is pretty easy to find, and many kids with a dairy allergy can tolerate it.

Daisymommy - thanks for the suggestion unfortunately, DS' allergy is to the protein in milk so goats milk won't work. I appreciate the thoughts, though!

MamaSnoo
10-29-2010, 05:13 PM
I'll have to make more of an effort to get oranges, too. We just don't seem to get very good oranges here so I don't usually get them.

Just FYI-- the calcium in OJ is added as a supplement in products marketed the label "with calcium." Oranges themselves are not that great a source of calcium (they do have some).

ETA: here is a nice website (http://www.ucsfhealth.org/adult/edu/calciumContent/index.html)with lists of things with the Ca contents.