PDA

View Full Version : how to grocery shop with a new baby??

annaelise
10-25-2010, 03:51 PM
I need some advice from experienced moms! I am a new mom to a beautiful 3 week old little girl and I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to get out of the house and start doing things like grocery shopping and errands with my little one.

So last week I tried going to wal mart! I have a graco snugride 32 and I tried putting it on top of the cart like I have seen other moms do and it just didn't feel safe or secure to me, so I didn't want to do that. Then I thought I'd just put the carseat into the large part of the cart but the Snugride 32 doesn't fit! So I lugged the carseat back to the parking lot to get my snap n go but then I could only buy what would fit into the basket of the snap n go! Then I needed to go to the regular grocery store and couldn't buy everything I needed because of the same issue!

So how do you shop with a new baby?? I felt so ridiculous for not being able to figure it out. There has to be a way...any wise momma out there want to help a clueless new momma??? I feel so silly for needing help with something thing basic...

infomama
10-25-2010, 03:54 PM
I usually just kept them in the snugride and snapped it onto the top basket portion of the cart. It was secure, they were strapped in and I never left their side for even a second. You can always do a carrier (sling or the like) if that suits you.

WolfpackMom
10-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Have you thought about wearing the baby in a sling or wrap?

designermv
10-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Wear her. :) Do you have a Mei-Tai or a Moby wrap? Or even a Bjorn? Newborns generally love being all snuggled up close, and you have both hands and a whole cart to shop with.

twowhat?
10-25-2010, 03:57 PM
1) carry baby in a wrap
2) snap carseat into a compatible stroller
3) place carseat sideways across main cart compartment (it will sit on top of the cart, but enough of the seat will fall below the cart's top margins that I can't imagine it falling out unless the cart tipped over). I know some people will still argue that this isn't safe - but I personally felt that it was pretty stable. Of course, always keep your eye on your little one.

AnnieW625
10-25-2010, 03:58 PM
I usually just kept them in the snugride and snapped it onto the top basket portion of the cart. It was secure, they were strapped in and I never left their side for even a second. You can always do a carrier (sling or the like) if that suits you.

I did this too with my old Snugride 22 with DD1. We've done it in a pinch with DD2, but with the Safeseat (now the SR 35) the base doesn't fit right and I don't like doing it at all. I much prefer the sling (I have a Beco soft structured carrier) or using the Uppa Baby Vista with the carseat adaptor (as the Vista has a huge basket). The only carseat I have seen recently that fits well in the top of the basket besides the SR22 is the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio. This is not a popular option here, but just wanted to let the OP know that someone else here has done it.

Up until DD2 was about 5 mos. old I used the sling 99% of the time. Now at almost 6 mos. I have started using the Vista frame more, but I still use the sling if I don't have the Vista frame in the car or have DD1 with me and don't want to deal with her wanting to push the stroller in the store.

willow33
10-25-2010, 04:00 PM
I always wore the baby :) It gives you the whole cart and people are less likely to touch the new baby!

JBaxter
10-25-2010, 04:03 PM
I wore mine. It was SO much easier. I never put mine on top of the cart it is NOT safe. Get a carrier .. I liked my moby wrap in the beginning or even a baby bjorn for that new born stage. I could bf in my moby wrap.

edurnemk
10-25-2010, 04:08 PM
You're right about the car seat, it's dangerous to put it on top of the cart (most car seat manuals even specify not to do so), if you must use it you need to put it in the main part of the cart (which leaves little space for groceries). I know a LOT of people put it on the top of the cart, but I just wanted to mention that you're not supposed to.

What I did with DS was either:
1) wear him in a carrier (like 80% of the time this was my solution, DS was less fussy and would usually fall asleep, especially when very young),
2) Go grocery shopping over the weekend with DH, or with a friend during the week. I'd either wear DS, push the stroller or put the car seat in the main part of a cart (if DS fell asleep in the car so we didn't want to take him out of the seat), and DH/my friend would push another cart with most of the groceries,
3) For just a few groceries I'd take the Vista and use the humongous basket,
4) Have groceries delivered, especially in the winter. I used peapod.com when I lived in Chicago.

HTH

SnuggleBuggles
10-25-2010, 04:13 PM
I wore mine. It was SO much easier. I never put mine on top of the cart it is NOT safe. Get a carrier .. I liked my moby wrap in the beginning or even a baby bjorn for that new born stage. I could bf in my moby wrap.

:yeahthat:

It's truly the best way to shop with a little one. If they get fussy you just need to sway a bit- much easier than jiggling the stroller or shopping cart. :)

Don't let chilly weather dissuade you either. Take baby out of their carseat in the parking lot, put a blanket over her, and dash in. Once inside get her in the carrier. You can also just practice and get quick at it in the parking lot. I just know cold weather logistics sometimes is a hurdle that keeps people from wearing their babies- and it's really a non issue.

And if baby wakes up, odds are they will be happy snuggled up against you. I'm of the school of thought that I'd rather baby be up when we were out so they could take in the world. But, at 3w old baby will probably sleep even if you do have to wake her up to get in the carrier. Not a big deal.

Beth

Momit
10-25-2010, 04:14 PM
I often pushed DS in the carseat/Snap & Go. You can fit quite a bit in the storage area under the stroller, then I just had re-usable shopping bags on each arm. That worked for regular shopping for our little family. If I had a major shopping trip to make, I would usually try to go without DS so I could use a real shopping cart and because DS didn't enjoy long trips through Safeway anyway.

BabyBearsMom
10-25-2010, 04:14 PM
You're right about the car seat, it's dangerous to put it on top of the cart (most car seat manuals even specify not to do so), if you must use it you need to put it in the main part of the cart (which leaves little space for groceries). I know a LOT of people put it on the top of the cart, but I just wanted to mention that you're not supposed to.

HTH

:yeahthat: I wouldn't put DD balanced on top of the cart. If I was picking up a very few things, I would put her in the big part of the cart. Most of the time, I just wore her in her Ergo with the Heart 2 Heart infant insert. She just snoozed away. I also loved it because I felt like she was less exposed to the elements and all cozy up against me. Plus I could give her lots of kisses and snuggles. I also used peapod for delivery quite a bit when DD was super little.

pb&j
10-25-2010, 04:22 PM
I wore DD in the Beco. It worked perfectly when she was small.

brittone2
10-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Another baby wearer :)

edurnemk
10-25-2010, 04:27 PM

It's truly the best way to shop with a little one. If they get fussy you just need to sway a bit- much easier than jiggling the stroller or shopping cart. :)

Don't let chilly weather dissuade you either. Take baby out of their carseat in the parking lot, put a blanket over her, and dash in. Once inside get her in the carrier. You can also just practice and get quick at it in the parking lot. I just know cold weather logistics sometimes is a hurdle that keeps people from wearing their babies- and it's really a non issue.

Beth

During the winter, I'd get in the back seat, close the door, put on the carrier, transfer DS from car seat to carrier, put a blanket on him, get out of the car and dash out to the store. Reverse operation when leaving the store.

I just remembered a suggestion I read here some time ago (never used it since DS was older when I read it): put car seat in the main part of the cart, stick 2 shopping baskets on the bottom rack of the cart, and voila you have room for small things around the car seat, on the shopping cart seat, and larger items can go in the baskets.

Also if your stroller or SNG has a big basket you can use that and hang some reusable bags (with mommy hooks, for example) from the handle and put stuff there, too.

But I do think wearing the baby is the BEST alternative (after having groceries delivered ;))

HIU8
10-25-2010, 05:01 PM
I used a graco safeseat (same as the snugride 32). It does fit in the back of the grocery basket (it's tight, but it will fit). I used the front seat of the cart and around the baby for the groceries. I also put two of the handheld baskets underneath and put groceries in there as well. I have also used a snap n go with the basket underneath for smaller trips (or had the baby in the carseat in the SNG and wheeled a cart). I have also worn the baby (wearing was the easiest thing I did).

crl
10-25-2010, 05:09 PM
I still wear my 6 month old, using either my Ergo or my Freehand Mei Tai. (The Ergo didn't work until she was about 5 months old though.)

Congratulations!
Catherine

JoyNChrist
10-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Well I put the carseat in the cart, but I have two infants. If I'm shopping with all three kids, DS1 rides in the front of the cart, one baby is in his/her carseat in the main basket (I put it in there sideways), and I wear the other baby. It's quite the production, but it works.

In your case, I would definitely suggest a sling or pouch.

DebbieJ
10-25-2010, 06:08 PM
I used the Moby at that age. You can find used ones all over ebay, CL, etc. It was indispensable at that age.

Uno-Mom
10-25-2010, 06:19 PM
I used a sling. Yep, it's a safe option (despite recent bad publicity) if you get a good one and learn to use it correctly. But if I have another baby, I'll probably try a Moby wrap.

But baby-wearing is a lifestyle thing and if it isn't something you're into, it might not be relaxing for grocery shopping. It took me a little while to learn how to do it comfortably and with confidence. It was something I was really into, so it was worth the learning curve for me.

I still wear Sprog everywhere but she's recently fallen in LOVE with riding in the shopping cart seat. Boo. (She's 11 months & we use a wide band velcroed strap thingy that I got from an online retailer.)

Uno-Mom
10-25-2010, 06:20 PM
PS if you do decide to give wearing a try - find a local shop where folks will give you hands-on tutorials on how to do it safe & comfortable.

Roni
10-25-2010, 06:24 PM
It's so not a ridiculous question. It's my 3rd time around, & I still have trouble. Back in the day I put the car seat on the shopping cart, but they don't make them to do that any more. I haven't ventured to the grocery store alone yet. I've done small errands with her in the Snap 'N' Go. I think that if I had to do the weekly shopping alone, I would push her in the stroller and pull a cart. I would wear her as a last resort--I'm not a big fan.

sunnyside
10-26-2010, 12:19 AM
I wear my girl.

salsah
10-26-2010, 12:40 AM
i wore mine. sometimes i used the stroller if i wasn't buying much.

Beth24
10-26-2010, 01:44 AM
I just set up a huge delivery of groceries for tomorrow from Vons.com. :)
And when I take the baby to the store I use my moby wrap, ergo or my very large Vista basket. I guess I like to mix it up!

sunshine873
10-26-2010, 04:39 AM
The easiest way is to wear her. I used a Baby K'Tan in the early months (similar to a Moby Wrap.) Another benefit I found to wearing baby this time of year: people are a little less likely to reach out & touch her when you're wearing her than if she's in her carrier (almost like she becomes part of your body & your personal space.)

amldaley
10-26-2010, 08:41 AM
I am another fan of babywearing or carrying while shopping.

Carseats on top of carts is *not* safe. I worked Loss Prevention for Target Stores for 3 years, which included responding to and filling out accident reports. Yes, they DO tip carts over. Yes, they CAN fall off.

If you must have baby in the carseat, consider shorter shopping trips and put the carseat down in the bottom part of the cart.

I loved using a soft structured carrier. DD hated the sling and she was just OK with a wrap but I never felt like I could get a could tight wrap that was snug and secure.

I used a Baby Bjorn for the first couple of weeks and then I got a Connecta. I LOVED the Connecta, as did DD. She used it up to age 1. She refused to be carried after that as it is so hot here and DD HATES being hot.

I would load her up in the carrier and shop! When bending over, I would keep a hand by her head to ensure I did not bonk her on anything - I am a major klutz. She would almost always fall asleep - especially when younger. As she was older, she loved looking around.

We also had a Patapum for DH to use but we just never really dug it.

Check out www.thebabywearer.com and consider trying a couple different carriers if the first is not right. It largely depends on your body shape and your comfort level. There is a great product out there for everyone!

♥ms.pacman♥
10-26-2010, 09:26 AM
funny i had started a very similar thread earlier this year when i had same issue. i too had same concern..putting carseat in front part of cart does not seem safe AT ALL. i see ppl do it all the time, and i too was confused that i must be missing something cuz it just didn't feel right to me at all.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=356388

so i just put pac-baby's carseat in the main part of the basket. far less likely to tip. we had a snugride 22 though so it fit. pac-baby outgrew the seat at 4mo, before he was old enough to sit up so at that point i had no choice but to babywear. i wasn't into babywearing at first bc it made me kinda nervous and wasn't sure ds would like it but we bought got used to it very quickly and grew to enjoy it. it was very convenient. DS loved riding around in the Pikkolo. occasionally he would even fall sleep in it. then at 7mo or so i would just sit in him in the front part with a grocery cart cover.

i should add another option is if u have a stroller with a huge basket (like Uppababy vista) u can put baby in stroller and put groceries in those little grocery baskets in the basket part of the stroller.

annaelise
10-26-2010, 09:32 AM
thank you so much for all the responses!! wow there really is an art to grocery shopping with an infant :)

I have a baby bjorn someone gave me so I think I might give that a try next time I need to pick up more things at the store than will fit in the basket of the stroller. I had a Moby wrap but returned it because I kept checking every five seconds to make sure the baby was still breathing. It just made me so nervous for some reason.

Thank you everyone for your replies!! :)

jenstring95
10-26-2010, 11:40 PM
Also, (definitely not the easiest or best for manueverability) if the baby wearing doesn't work out, you could always push your baby in the Snap n Go and pull the shopping cart behind you. It would probably be a pain, but the stroller should be easy enough to push with a newborn that you could get away with it. That being said, I too agree with wearing if possible. It can seem daunting to do all the ins and outs between the carseat and the Bjorn/wrap/carrier, though, especially in inclement weather...

doberbrat
10-27-2010, 07:57 AM
Im def a babywearer but for a quick grocery trip, I'd put the infant seat in sideways on the top of the cart.

if I was doing a big trip to the grocery for a week's worth of groceries or going to BJ's etc, then I'd try to go early/late when dh was home. It was a treat to get out by myself even if it was just to go grocery shopping!

kam
10-27-2010, 10:51 AM
LOL -- my honest response? Peapod or Fresh Direct. I.e. -- Delivery. :-) I was so glad it was available here! I'd do my shopping online and the groceries would magically appear. It was marvelous. Then, I'd take DD on littler trips to grab a few items that I prefer looking at in person or weren't available online. On those trips, we'd just use the stroller.

longtallsally05
10-27-2010, 12:23 PM
I'd say Moby, but it is a PITA to put on in a parking lot. Try putting it on before you leave the house (warning: it can be HOT). Still better than a sling (not comfortable for you, less secure for baby), or putting the Snugride bucket in the bottom of the basket (not enough room for groceries). Never put the bucket on top of the basket; way too dangerous.

hellokitty
10-27-2010, 02:25 PM
I always wore the baby :) It gives you the whole cart and people are less likely to touch the new baby!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
10-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Have you thought about wearing the baby in a sling or wrap?