PDA

View Full Version : Baby x-rays are brutal!

Uno-Mom
10-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Sprog and I spent the AM at her pedi's office. Her cautious pedi had us do a chest x-ray to make doubly sure that her persistant nasty cough isn't something sinister (it isn't - she's ok, just a touch of bronchitis).

But poor Sprog! I've never seen that infant x-ray contraption before - they put them upright into that plastic thing that squeezes them, forcing her to hold her arms straight up, held so miserably tight and uncomfortable. She's a sensible Sprog and knew this was unreasonable - scream, scream, scream. Totally forlorn and confused about why we were doing something so awful to her.

It's like some kind of torture device!

My point is - good God I feel like I had a glimpse of what parents go through when their kids have medical issues. How horrible to have to do regular procedures like that (and many far WORSE) to treat a child's serious illness!!

I'm so thankful that Sprog is a healthy little person. Today I'm sending out compassion waves to all of you who have to accompany your kids through serious medical conditions. I don't know how you do it - you're amazing. I hope I never have to. I hope your kids heal soon.

rlu
10-25-2010, 06:50 PM
All that you said and prayers going to your little one to get better soon.

smiles33
10-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Poor Sprog! Glad it's "just" bronchitis. I shudder just thinking about babies getting medical procedures beyond the simple well baby visit.

It is exceptionally difficult watching your baby get "tortured" (as they don't realize what's going on and just see you standing there watching them in pain!). I sobbed uncontrollably outside of the room while my DD1 got a spinal tap at 3 weeks old. DH had to hold her as I couldn't take it anymore. The spinal tap was after a few hours of other procedures, including watching several ER nurses (4 or 5--they asked multiple ER nurses to try when the first 2 failed) stab her arms and legs. I think DD1 had about 12-15 needles stuck in her, as they tried at least 3 times on each limb before finally giving up trying to find a vein to draw blood. They also had to put a catheter in (which again, the ER nurses weren't able to do since she was only 3 weeks old). The spinal tap was also after the x-rays, so I was a sobbing, leaking mess (as they also refused to let me nurse her despite it being 4-6 hours since I last nursed her). Ugh. I'm traumatized just thinking about that night!

FWIW, it turns out DD1 had a UTI and was hospitalized in the Special Care Nursery for the next week after that night.

Uno-Mom
10-25-2010, 07:04 PM
I sobbed uncontrollably outside of the room while my DD1 got a spinal tap at 3 weeks old. DH had to hold her as I couldn't take it anymore. ... Ugh. I'm traumatized just thinking about that night!

FWIW, it turns out DD1 had a UTI and was hospitalized in the Special Care Nursery for the next week after that night.

How awful! Out of curiousity, why didn't they test for a UTI in the beginning? That seems like a standard thing to rule out before doing such invasive procedures.

Your story reminds me of when I was around 3 and deathly dehydrated from influenza. The nurses poked me over 20 times, couldn't reach my veins. I have vague memories. My mom still gets emotional when she thinks about it. I have a lingering but slight needle phobia but I think she was more traumatized.

wendibird22
10-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Ugh. I hear you. DD2 needed a chest xray at 5mos old. They strapped her to basically a back board with her arms held above her head with velcro. Then they made me leave the room while I listened to her scream. Awful.

I hope your little one is feeling better very soon!

JoyNChrist
10-25-2010, 07:34 PM
They're horrible, aren't they?

DS1 got a cut between his eyes a few months ago (a toy fell off a shelf and hit him) that needed to be stitched.

Holding him down while he screamed "Mommy, stop hurting me!" had me in tears for DAYS. I still get a stomachache thinking about it.

swissair81
10-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Ugh. I hear you. DD2 needed a chest xray at 5mos old. They strapped her to basically a back board with her arms held above her head with velcro. Then they made me leave the room while I listened to her scream. Awful.

I hope your little one is feeling better very soon!

That's awful! My dd1 had asthma & they only made me leave the room when I was pregnant. I was usually the one holding her in position. dd3 had an xray also & I was their place holder as well.

Indianamom2
10-25-2010, 08:13 PM
Awww...I know how hard that is, and like you, whenever I get done taking one of my kids to a medical test I think of how awful it must be for those who live that sort of life with their kids. Somehow, I think with certain kids, it would never get easier.

On a side note, stitches are worse than x-rays. We've done both with the same kid in the last year. X-rays at 6 months old (strapped to a papoose board...not too bad) and stitches a couple weeks ago at 15 months. He was wrapped like a mummy in a sheet and a nurse was holding his head still while I held the rest of his body and the dr. stitched. Not fun.

Hope your little one feels better soon.

WolfpackMom
10-25-2010, 08:35 PM
DS had to go in the plastic contraption that held him up for a chest xray too when he was about 2 months old. I made DH take him in the room I couldn't handle it. Poor babies as OP said, we are so lucky we don't have to go through that regularly.

Reyadawnbringer
10-25-2010, 09:22 PM
You know what. I appreciate your compassion. I cannot tell you how awful I feel whenever I think about the multitude of procedures that were done to DS over the last two years and how many more we are likely to still face.

There is nothing more heartbreaking than watching your baby have something done to them that they cannot possibly understand. Nothing makes a mom feel more helpless.

smiles33
10-25-2010, 09:26 PM
How awful! Out of curiousity, why didn't they test for a UTI in the beginning? That seems like a standard thing to rule out before doing such invasive procedures.

She came into the ER with a fever of 103 and that's highly unusual at 3 weeks old so they did all the crazy tests in case it was meningitis or something worse. The catheter was put in to try and get a "clean catch" to test for UTI. What really upset me is that the Pediatrics nurses were able to get an IV and the catheter in on their first try. The ER nurses should have just called Peds after the 3rd failed try, rather than go on for another hour!

Gena
10-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Hugs. It's so hard to see our little ones go through those types of things.

DS had a swallow study when he was 10 months old as part of his asthma workup. He was mummy wrapped, strapped to a board, and fed barium while suspended at various angles. It broke my heart to watch.

I hope Sprog feels better soon.

Uno-Mom
10-25-2010, 09:59 PM
You know what. I appreciate your compassion. I cannot tell you how awful I feel whenever I think about the multitude of procedures that were done to DS over the last two years and how many more we are likely to still face.

I hope and pray they work every medical miracle for him. [Edited to add: I just saw his b-day pics you posted. What a great kid!]

My 10 year old godson just got the "good" news that he's going in for yet another bone graph next month. The adults who love him see this as another step towards reconstructing his face, jaw structure and eye alignment (he has a rare genetic syndrome) but for him it's another thing to dread. I KNOW that when he's a man he will look back and be amazed at what was accompished but it's still so, so completely unfair.

But on the other hand, he's a child who certainly would have died in infancy even 15 years ago. And instead he's a bright and happy little boy. So we'll be there in the hospital at his side! (And giving his mom a much-needed respite.)

wimama
10-26-2010, 12:02 AM
Wow, so sorry you all have had such heart wrenching experiences.

We have had much better experiences with X-rays. My DS broke his collar bone and we wound up at urgent care at our local Children's hospital. They had a special contraption like a booster seat to set the child in. I stood by his side and the most traumatic part of the whole thing was putting the gown on for the X-rays. And, that was because it hurt him to put on or take off a shirt. I was impressed with the X-ray techs and set up. And, I feel blessed that he hasn't had to endure more than X-rays.

daisymommy
10-26-2010, 06:32 AM
Poor thing! It's the worst when they look at you like "why are you allowing this/doing this to me?!" isn't it? :( I'm sorry, but glad she will be getting better now that you know what's wrong.

I had to say, this was so cute, and I love your writing style, especially with your DD's new nickname :)

She's a sensible Sprog and knew this was unreasonable