PDA

View Full Version : Did you go to your HS reunion?

calv
10-25-2010, 08:52 PM
didn't go to my 5th or 10th. 15th is cominh up and I'm still debating if I want to go or not. Could also put that money towards a nice date night w/DH. Hmmm, I know it would be fun but convince me ;)

SnuggleBuggles
10-25-2010, 08:56 PM
I enjoyed mine. I wasn't planning to go but curiosity really got the better of me after a while. I really enjoyed catching up with people, getting dressed up, dancing, and just having a fun night out. It rekindled a few friendships and the rest were left in the past but with a friendly, amicable catch up.

Beth

Corie
10-25-2010, 09:11 PM
I haven't been to any of them. (5th, 10th, 15th, or 20th)

LMPC
10-25-2010, 09:16 PM
My 20th is next year and I don't plan on attending. Can't imagine spending an entire weekend in Montgomery AL seeing people that I haven't thought about in 20 years. (Boy, do I sound cynical or what?!) I have 2 good friends from HS who I still keep in touch with...that's enough for me!

viba424
10-25-2010, 09:25 PM
I think its a nice thing to do.

JoyNChrist
10-25-2010, 09:25 PM
My 5th was last year and I really enjoyed it. Of course I've kept up with a lot of the people I graduated with through Facebook, so there wasn't really a whole lot of catching up involved. But it was nice to see everyone and the activities were fun. :)

Gena
10-25-2010, 09:35 PM
I've missed all of mine. My 20th was earlier this fall and I had no plans to go. For one thing, it was on a Friday, so I would have had to miss a day of work and DS miss a day of school to travel back to my home state. For another thing, the reunion committee picked a place that was $80 a head, which was well beyond our budget, since DH was still out of work at the time.

calv
10-25-2010, 10:02 PM
another ? for you, did you bring your spouse or go alone?

edurnemk
10-25-2010, 10:05 PM
I went to my 10th, I was in town when it took place, but I wouldn't travel to go to one. I keep in touch with friends I really care about from HS, and the rest of the people in my class... well I wouldn't mind if I never saw them again.

SnuggleBuggles
10-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Yep, dh went and I went to his. I like to do things with him and to be able to recap the night with him is fun. Of course, we were high school sweethearts so there was a natural overlap of friendships even if we didn't graduate the same year.

Beth

ewpmsw
10-25-2010, 10:46 PM
I haven't been to any of them. (5th, 10th, 15th, or 20th)

:yeahthat: I don't feel like I missed much. The friends who attended the last two said they wished they'd just gone out with a smaller group of friends rather than doing the larger reunion events.

ncat
10-25-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm thinking about this now. My parents are in the process of moving and their house will be either on the market or sold next summer when my 20th reunion happens. DH doesn't want to go. Tickets are expensive - around $100.

My 10th reunion was a bust. It was at an odd time of year and I wasn't "found" or invited until about 2 weeks prior to the reunion. I had really wanted to go and still feel cheated. I think less than 10% of my class ended up attending.

I don't want to deal with the popular crowd who "planned" it so well a decade ago. I'm not looking great or excelling in my career. I'm not a people person and I feel awkward in crowds. My best friend from high school won't be going. I could definitely save a lot of cash by staying home. But I won't ever get another chance to go to my 20th reunion.

bigpassport
10-25-2010, 11:38 PM
I went to my 10th but not my 20th (I was in a ttc funk). I would like to go to future reunions.

Puddy73
10-26-2010, 12:00 AM
Nope, none of them. Facebook has satisfied the little curiosity that I had about classmates that I don't keep in touch with.

rlu
10-26-2010, 12:03 AM
5th was cancelled due to lack of interest, 11th (didn't do a 10th) was during a work conference and I passed on the 15 & 20th as they were just being held in a local bar (don't drink and can't tolerate smoke so not much fun for me).

Don't think I missed too much. I don't think of those years as my golden years so not really keen to relive them.

american_mama
10-26-2010, 12:19 AM
I went to my 10th and had a good time. Enjoyed hearing about people's lives, families and jobs, found nice but boring people to be a little more interesting with adulthood. I ignored the people I'd never perceived as nice.

I went to my 20th, which I helped plan, and did not enjoy it, mostly due to repeated snubs from the other planners. The other attendees were ok and I generally found people to be pretty humble with age. The big event was a happy hour and it was too superficial and crowded for my tastes. DH went with me to the smaller day event and had a good time (he is outgoing), but we didn't have child care for the happy hour so he stayed with the kids. I would have had a bit more fun if he'd been with me.

I went to DH's 20th reunion two years ago and it was a mistake. It was in Washington DC, very expensive, terrible food, but I thought I would get to meet and see him interact with his old classmates. Wrong. All the reunion people hung out in a huge group around the bar, talking and laughing, and all the spouses sat silent in glum little groups of 1 or 2 at the tables, bored, looking at their watches. I usually have no problem talking to strangers, but even I didn't see the point in making chit-chat with some stranger who I would never see again.

kijip
10-26-2010, 12:28 AM
No. We don't have formal reunions but there have been a lot of social opportunities with my high school class that I have passed on, including a 10 year thing. I am already in touch with the precisely 3 classmates from my high school who I care about - one is an editor in NYC, another is a bookstore owner in a small tourist town and the third is a tech writer in my area. We stay in touch and are planning a visit. There are 2 teachers there I am also in touch with. I was very close to people in high school and I stayed in the loop during college but many of my classmates live very unconventional lives and consider me the height of selling out. Also I realized that many of them were very snobby towards me when I gave up a big private colege scholarship to do a much more working class college path. It strained my fondness of them.

Fairy
10-26-2010, 01:20 AM
Hell yes. There is no convincing. Either you want to go and see how these people are doing, or you don't. I didn't go to 10 cuz I got married that day ;-). We didn't do a 15. 20 I wanted to go to and enjoyed every last second. DH not so much, so we'll leave him home for 25.

elektra
10-26-2010, 01:34 AM
I went to my 10th and to DH's 20th. I am still undecided on my 20th in 2.5 years.
Facebook had made it fun to get caught up with people I care to get back in touch with for sure though. I was kind of annoyed for various reasons at my 10th, so that experience is making me unsure about going to my 20th or not.
DH's 20th was fun for him though. It was a smaller school and everyone seemed really nice. There were several grandparents in his class!

klwa
10-26-2010, 07:02 AM
Been to all (5, 10 , 15). Truly, 15th was a bit of a bust compared to the otehr two.

KHF
10-26-2010, 07:46 AM
Nope, no interest at all. Over the years, I've only keep in semi-constant touch with one girl from HS (graduated in 1989) and a few others are FB friends.

lowrioh
10-26-2010, 08:02 AM
I went to my 10th, skipped my 15th and I'm planning on going to my 20th next year. Our reunions are usually the Fri or Sat after Thanksgiving since most people who have moved away are in town for the weekend. My parents have moved away from the town I grew up in but I have Aunts and cousins I can stay with. If I had to drive 4 hours AND pay for a hotel room, I might not go.
DH will probably come with me. Although he didn't go to high school with me, he is friends with some of my HS friend's spouses. Last time the sat at a table drinking Scotch and had a great time.

Twoboos
10-26-2010, 08:48 AM
A good friend was the class president, so she is in charge of organizing. I have been informed only death or birth will get me out of going. :ROTFLMAO: So I've been to 5/10/15 and will hit the 20 (how did THAT happen?!?!) in a couple of weeks.

DH came to 5/10, it was fine but other friends brought their not-from-our-class SO/DH's too. 15 not so much, and for the 20th no one is bringing their SO. So DH will stay home. He's a little unhappy but I would rather socialize than have to keep filling him in on events from 20 years ago, who is who, why they have that nickname, etc.

I think there are about 60-70 people from a class of 200 attending. It's a one night thing and it was like pulling teeth to get this many to respond by the deadline. I doubt you could get everyone for a weekend or multiple events, even though a lot of people live in the area.

lizzywednesday
10-26-2010, 09:11 AM
We don't do 5-year reunions, and I didn't go to my 10th.

I was annoyed that (a) it was near my hometown, (b) on Thanksgiving weekend and (c) a Sunday evening. I don't go back to my Dad's for Thanksgiving! (Heck, I spend as little time at my dad's as possible because the smell of the house alone will make me queasy.) Also, DH and I had gotten engaged the previous April ... and were recovering from his losing his job that May, being out of work all summer ... and still trying to plan our wedding.

It hurt not going after hearing that friends of mine had gone, but I couldn't afford the expense on my own and didn't want to drive late at night after spending hours with people I hadn't gotten along with very well in high school in the first place! (I had also wanted to drink if I'd gone, but that wasn't an option for me at the time as I would have had to go alone.)

babychi
10-26-2010, 09:25 AM
I attended both my 5 year and 10 year reunions (I was even on the planning committee for the 10 year). They were both fun, but quite honestly it was more of an excuse to see a close group of girlfriends and my family back home who live 4+ hours away.

Now with a child, I doubt I'll go out of my way to attend because it's a lot to travel for just a few hours of catching up that I can do via Facebook, email or a separate outing with just those close to me.

AnnieW625
10-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Yes I went to my 10th reunion. I went alone because DH knew none of the people I graduated with. Our mutual friends were either in DH's class or the class ahead of me in high school. I would go to my 20th. DH didn't go to his 10th, but hopefully we'll go to his 20th in 2 yrs. and it should be much more organized and easier to get ahold of people because of Facebook.

bluestarfish18
10-26-2010, 12:23 PM
I have my 10th next year. DH will be deployed and I can so see myself just standing in the corner, alone. Kind of like middle school cafeteria flashbacks :)

kdeunc
10-26-2010, 12:43 PM
I have been to my 10th and 20th. I was single for the 10th and DH stayed home with the kids for my 20th. I really enjoyed them both. I was not really part of the "popular" crowd in HS but but by the 10th everyone was basically on "equal footing". The 20th was great and a lot of us (out of a class of 275) are facebook friends if not real "friends". DH on the other hand has absolutely no interest in attending any of his. I say go and have fun!

fortato
10-26-2010, 01:02 PM
With the advent of Facebook, I see no need to go. I have caught up with the people who were my friends, and have gotten back in touch with a bunch of other people....

No need to spend the money to see the assholes that made me miserable in high school.

hanaum02
10-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Wow, I guess I'm surprised how many people chose not to go. I went to my 5 and 10 year (both were enjoyable, but nothing special). We didn't have a 15 year. For my 20 year, there was a family picnic (which my husband and kids came to with me) and then the formal evening event (which my husband did NOT come to - it was too expensive and more fun for me to just go with my best friend). It was SO MUCH fun to see people and reconnect. I'm so glad that I went.

Michelle
DS 9/04
DD 10/07