PDA

View Full Version : Mystery of pinpoint bleach spots on clothes??

sste
10-25-2010, 09:42 PM
I have been getting these on occasion for the past two years on DS's clothes. I am completely perplexed. I have removed ALL bleach from the house six months ago and I am still getting them!! The only things I use are charlies or cal-ben soap, bac-out, and shout advanced gel (even if it was the shout why are the bleach spots pin-sized??).

Someone please advise!

elliput
10-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Does DS go to daycare?

Uno-Mom
10-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Has my husband visited your laundry room recently? Dripping bleach on clothes is his specialty!

fortato
10-25-2010, 10:18 PM
What kind of toothpaste are you using?

I never noticed until I had a spooge of toothpaste on my shirt that bleached a tiny spot on my black tee. Crest whitening....

(Although, I'm sure you wouldn't use whitening toothpaste on your kids!)

sste
10-25-2010, 10:21 PM
I have just emailed daycare to ask.

Husband has been banned from laundry for over a decade!!

The toothpaste is interesting . . . DS uses the flouride free with the thomas the train on them. I am going to commence fabric testing but I think it is unlikely because today's spots were on the back of DS's (mini-boden :( ) shirt.

DrSally
10-25-2010, 10:21 PM
What kind of toothpaste are you using?

I never noticed until I had a spooge of toothpaste on my shirt that bleached a tiny spot on my black tee. Crest whitening....

(Although, I'm sure you wouldn't use whitening toothpaste on your kids!)

Ah! That's a possibility. Some creams and potions can bleach out clothes. Not that your kids would be using it, but benzoyl peroxide bleached out my pillowcases.

salsah
10-26-2010, 12:25 AM
i get those from tooth paste. even with tj's flouride free tooth paste.

MommyAllison
10-26-2010, 12:52 AM
Toothpaste does bleach clothes, but we've also gotten pinpoint bleach spots from the washing machine. I was using someone else's machine after they ran a load w/some bleach in it. I ran a black sweater through, and there were little pink spots everywhere the sweater was resting against the drum of the washing machine. I know you said you've eliminated bleach, but maybe the Shout residue in the drum is doing it?

ETA: Or does daycare use some sort of sanitizing spray w/bleach in it, that could be getting overspray on the back of his shirt?

fauve01
10-26-2010, 03:18 AM
I was surprised when i found out dd was helping her teacher clean the desks with lysol wipes.