PDA

View Full Version : heart murmur? when did your LO outgrow it?

dukie41181
10-25-2010, 11:07 PM
My daughter's doc thinks she heard a heart murmur at her last appt (3 weeks ago) and we have an appt tomorrow morning to have it rechecked. She was 19 months old at the last appt and it had never been heard before. From what I understand, heart murmurs can be somewhat common when kids are little but are also commonly outgrown. Anyone here ever experience this but have their LO outgrow it? If its outgrown, what are the concerns for thw time being? I'm starting to get a little nervous! Looking for some positive energy too!

Thanks!

JBaxter
10-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Cant give you a answer but make sure you get it checked out well. They missed my sisters growing up and she had it repaired at 32.

ged
10-25-2010, 11:34 PM
When DD2 was born, a nurse said she detected a murmer. The ped checked and was like..."there may be a veeery faint murmer..." Anyhow, she is now 5.5 months, so not that old, but there have been no traces of the murmer at any of her subsequent check ups.

dukie41181
10-25-2010, 11:46 PM
Interestingly, at the last appt my daughter was very upset as she had been in the ER about a month prior and it was tough. She had a cathetarization and IV in the ER and it was quite awful! She was hekd down and they had to try both arms for the IV! So she was at the doc office and started bawling once we got to the exam room...and during the exam they possibly detected the murmur. I wonder if it could have been hard to hear clearly through her crying or if it sounds differently when the patient is so upset? I'm kinda hoping so.

hillview
10-26-2010, 08:56 AM
FWIW (I can't tell you you have a comfirmed dx) we were recently told DS2 has a murmur (stethascope in pedi office) but they found nothing with the follow up EKG and echocardiogram.
/hillary

LD92599
10-26-2010, 09:15 AM
FWIW (I can't tell you you have a comfirmed dx) we were recently told DS2 has a murmur (stethascope in pedi office) but they found nothing with the follow up EKG and echocardiogram.
/hillary

Exact same here; right before hospital discharge w/ DS2 a nurse heard it; we followed up w/ the card a few weeks after and he said it's nothing, if the ped doesn't hear it at the 1 year check up, then he's clear.

Gena
10-26-2010, 09:20 AM
I wonder if it could have been hard to hear clearly through her crying or if it sounds differently when the patient is so upset? I'm kinda hoping so.

I know that with my own murmur, it becomes more pronounced when I am upset or stressed. I have mitral valve prolapse and my murmur was first detected when I was 4 years old.

Dr C
10-26-2010, 10:10 AM
There are several different kinds of murmurs, and each are caused by different things. Newborns commonly have a murmur that is heard in the hospital and that goes away by the first appointment at the ped's office. Often docs will do an ultrasound of the heart (an echo) if the murmur doesn't go away or if it sounds different from the usual murmur, to make sure that there is not structural problem with the heart (like an extra hole, or a tight valve).
Older kids (toddlers and preschool) often get a murmur called a "Stills" murmur, that is caused by blood moving through the normal structures of the heart. That murmur, if you can get a good listen, has a very distinctive sound (often described as vibratory or musical). Those murmurs are VERY common in kids and most pediatricians are very comfortable listening to them and don't do an echo unless the murmur sounds different or there is another reason to worry about the child. These murmurs are totally harmless but will often stick around for several years--it's different for each kid but most kids have outgrown them by puberty. The murmur will often get louder anytime there is increased blood flow--like when the child is upset, or has a fever. BUT when a kid is upset and crying, it is really hard to get a good listen to the heart. So over the years there may be some visits when it's there and some when it's not.
I have a suspicion that your ped wanted you to come back to hopefully get a good listen at a time that your child was not crying, so as to better make a decision about whether this is the kind of murmur to pursue further or not. Bravo to your doc for being so thorough. Obviously it's not always going to be possible to keep her happy at the office, but it may be helpful to bring a new toy or something else to distract her at the office so your ped can get a better listen.

HIU8
10-26-2010, 10:35 AM
:yeahthat: My mitral valve prolapse was discovered at age 11. I still have it. My mother does as well. She will need a valve replacement in the near future.

dukie41181
10-26-2010, 01:23 PM
We are home from the appt and all went well! The doc could hardly hear the murmur, so much that she said she was seriously questioning if it was even there. So all is well and we will just watch closely in the future. I worked hard to keep my daughter happy in the office...it started off a bit rocky but got better when we just got to play in the exam room. Thank God for the Pooh and Piglet window clings and her baby (as well as the photo of the baby on the wall)! This mama is much relieved!

infocrazy
10-26-2010, 01:26 PM
DS2 had a murmur diagnosed at his 3 yr visit. She said it wasn't the kind of murmur that she had heard frequently so she referred us to a pediatric cardiologist.

We went to Children's downtown (I think you are in DTW, PM if you want the dr's name and/or more details etc.) and they did an echo which only lasted about 10 seconds, (normal), then a resident listened, then the Dr. They actually heard 2 murmurs. The first they heard was venous humm which is super common and no issue. Then they also heard a clicking noise on the first heart sound. They did an echocardiogram. He got to watch tv when they were doing it but it did last about 40 minutes. DS2 has pulmonary valve stenosis, which at least in his case is something we will monitor (next appt is in 2 yrs) but he has no restrictions etc, and it is likely that he will outgrow it.

My dad and I both have murmurs that are non-issues too so even if she doesn't outgrow it, it doesn't mean it is bad. Scary stuff though I know! P & PT headed your way.

SnuggleBuggles
10-26-2010, 02:40 PM
I had one and outgrew it in my late teens. It was never an issue. I hope all is well for your dd!

Beth