PDA

View Full Version : Anyone give cal/mag supplements to their kids?

pinkmomagain
10-26-2010, 10:36 AM
If so, what brand/form to you give? I tried Kid's Calm, but they hated drinking it. Hoping it will help them with anxiety and sleep. TIA!

fauve01
10-26-2010, 03:56 PM
I give it to DD when i remember! her ped recommended a cal supplement because she soesn't get much in her diet (yogurt occasionally, no milk, no cheese), and when i read cal/mag may have sleep benefits i was sold. I bought a liquid cal/mag supplement at Whole Foods, blueberry flavored. dd hates it, so i will likely try to find something else when we finish the bottle.

this is what we have:
http://www.vitacost.com/Country-Life-Liquid-Target-Mins-Calcium-Magnesium

I don't notice much of a difference for dd, even when i was remembering more regularly. but i don't notice much affects her...

good luck,
anne + DD 10-03

mytwosons
10-26-2010, 04:12 PM
We tried many, but never found a liquid that passed the taste test. We settled on doing separate supplements.

Vitafusion makes a calcium chewy that is pretty good. Target and costco both sell.

Can your kids swallow pills? (We had good luck with the oroflow cup.) That is the easiest way to get the magnesium in.

Most of the flavored liquid magnesiums require a larger dose. We settled with the Source Naturals since it only requires a half teaspoon and can be dosed by the drop. I just add a splash of lemonade and it gets downed like a shot.

ETA: I also give the Source Naturals peppermint flavored Gaba sublinguals to help with anxiety.

pinkmomagain
10-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks! My kids can swallow pills, but the cal/mag ones I take are pretty large. Maybe I'll look around some, since I do think they would prefer to swallow pills than drink a liquid. Maybe I can find smaller ones...or break up the cal and mag separately.

m448
10-26-2010, 06:11 PM
I give them the NSI (vitacost brand) liquid cal mag. It's not for kids but I give them roughly 1/4-1/2 the adult dosage. It's a bit chalky like milk of magnesia but it's orange flavored and it's a quick spoonful. Plus it's calcium citrate instead of carbonate.