PDA

View Full Version : s/o of s/o...do you support your local college or public radio, NPR, or PBS station?

AnnieW625
10-26-2010, 11:29 AM
I don't at this time, but while looking for NPR stations I noticed that one station offered a huge amount of discounts, esp. for restaurants and a few kid related things so it might be worth it. I should also do our public television station too, but I have a hard time deciding which one as we have two. One 10 miles from us and one in Los Angeles.

In the past my dad bought me a membership to the public radio station (non NPR) that he listens to in Nor Cal. I didn't do anything with the membership benefits, but it was a nice thought.

brittone2
10-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Yes. We started when DH was in grad school, and we couldn't afford to give a ton, but we made an effort to give to our local public radio station.

JBaxter
10-26-2010, 11:36 AM
No. They only community things we support are the fire/ambulance and food bank. Well I indirectly support the local college I pay tuition for my oldest

WolfpackMom
10-26-2010, 11:50 AM
We support the local NPR station

ladysoapmaker
10-26-2010, 01:45 PM
I support 2 NPR stations in the area (one local to me and the other is local to work).

DH and I will occasionally add extra to the local station. And we will occasionally use the rewards cards (member listener's cards) that we get as part of the membership but I generally forget about it.

I think the next step will be supporting the local pbs station. that's the only tv I try to let the kids watch.

I grew up supporting the local NPR/PBS stations and was so happy when I could afford to do it myself and really happy to find out DH supported his also.

Jen

maestramommy
10-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Not at the moment, although I did in SoCal. You've just reminded me I need to subscribe:p

ThreeofUs
10-26-2010, 02:32 PM
We always do. In fact, I just retired off my local NPR's advisory board.

LMPC
10-26-2010, 02:47 PM
We support our local NPR station (WUNC is fantastic!) each month. When we canceled cable it was something DH and I decided was a good place to put some of that money. We also support the art museum and a local kids science museum (which is mainly for the discount ;)).

SnuggleBuggles
10-26-2010, 02:51 PM
No because last time I did I got so many darned calls, mailers...that I just got frustrated.

Beth

sariana
10-26-2010, 04:23 PM
I've always thought we should support PBS since we watch so much.

I wish there were/Is there a way to support PBS, rather than the local affiliate? We watch KCET, KOCE, and KLCS (and I'm devastated that we're losing KCET in January!), so I wouldn't know which one to support.

MontrealMum
10-26-2010, 04:37 PM
We support one of the local (across the border) PBS stations. By default (due to how the funding works), we also support the CBC, and one of the local Uni radio stations. I could actually opt out of supporting the local Uni radio station, but it's not much so I choose not to even though I never listen.

katydid1971
10-26-2010, 04:51 PM
yes we do, $100 every year to OPB

kijip
10-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Yes, but not a huge amount. Really nominal sums. We donate to 2 different stations, the main NPR affiliate and a great public music station. If we are doing a lot of driving across the state, I will pledge to NW public radio because, well, I remember the drive to Spokane before nwpr. Aside from a hilarious farm station right around George we had nothing to listen to for a long stretch. And I feel NWPR likely needs my $$$ more than KUOW, one of the most successful affiliates in the the nation.

MamaSnoo
10-26-2010, 07:50 PM
I do! I love WABE, and try to increase my gift a little each year. I wish I had started giving sooner because it has been a big part of my life for many years.

MelissaTC
10-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Another fan of WUNC and have in the past. We need to because DH is a big John Denver fan and would love that concert on DVD. We don't give money to any local colleges but DH serves in a mentoring program at one and loves giving his time.

mommylamb
10-26-2010, 08:00 PM
We do it some of the time, but not always:bag depending on the other things we're giving to or facing financially.