PDA

View Full Version : chepest/best place to get your contact lenses?

calv
10-26-2010, 01:02 PM
where do you get yours? i usually order them from the eye dr but figuring I could save a few bucks if I order them online. TIA!!!

I'm intersted in both online places and also willing to check out B&M stores like BJ's and Costco.

mommylamb
10-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Costco.

twowhat?
10-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Costco!!! We were amazed how much CHEAPER it is, to get the same brand! Same goes for eyeglasses. Will never go anywhere else.

Mikey0709
10-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Another vote for Costco - and maybe once or twice a year they offer a COUPON for like $20 off a certain number of boxes!

emilykate
10-26-2010, 01:35 PM
I had a terrible experience with OptiContacts.com but they had a significantly lower price for my very expensive lenses (astigmatism). I had 1-800-Contacts price match them, easy peasy!

vball4all
10-26-2010, 01:42 PM
I got mine from Walgreens.com this year. With the rebates and their sale, it was actually cheaper than Costco. However, for Costco, its nice being able to buy boxes as you want without worrying about buying a bunch of boxes at one time.

groundhog74
10-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Is it better to buy disposables or the kind you keep for a year?

stillplayswithbarbies
10-26-2010, 01:56 PM
my eye doctor price matches to Costco. that's the best deal, and I don't have to go all the way to Costco to get them

Momit
10-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Another vote for Costco. We've gotten ours there for years.

vball4all
10-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Is it better to buy disposables or the kind you keep for a year?

Your doctor will write a prescription for what you should be wearing, whether it is daily wear, every 2 weeks, gas-permeable, extra moist (for dry eyes), etc. You can price some of them out, and talk to your doctor about the options. They will often give you samples of one or two to try out. I just went to daily wear from 2-weeks...and they seemed more expensive and they are very dry (although they are called moist). I probably prefer to go back to 2-week. They may say "with daily wear, you don't need as much solution"...to me, solution doesn't cost that much. Bottom line, price a few out, talk to your doctor. Also, don't wait until you have run out before getting your prescription...so you can shop around for deals/rebates.

stillplayswithbarbies
10-26-2010, 03:30 PM
just a reminder to buy your contact solution and saline before Dec 31 if you have a FSA. My understanding is that next year over-the-counter items will not be FSA eligible.

sewarsh
10-26-2010, 03:32 PM
costco.

calv
10-26-2010, 03:44 PM
anyone know if you have to be a member of costco to buy them there?

vball4all
10-26-2010, 05:16 PM
anyone know if you have to be a member of costco to buy them there?

It depends.
Generally, yes, you are supposed to be a member.
One way around it, you can get a member to buy/load a gift card "cash card" for you. This "cash card" gets you access to the warehouse. However, when I did it, the Optical Dept. made a big deal how they weren't supposed to sell optical to non-members, but they did it anyway (using '99'). I have bought "regular" stuff in that same store, and did self checkout. The clerk types in '99', and life goes on. I've returned items purchased with the 'cash card' and they credited it back to the card - no problem or questions.

I called Costco's 800# about the use of Cash Cards since the website does not list any caveats for Cash Cards. They basically said you would need to ask the manager at each store if they accept them at those special areas. WTF?! Anyway, it may or may not work for you.

stillplayswithbarbies
10-26-2010, 05:18 PM
you don't have to be a Costco member to ask your eye doctor to price-match. They just call Costco and verify the price and that's it.

tabegle
10-27-2010, 12:13 AM
I've always found the best prices for me at www.coastalcontacts.com. Maybe I should check out costco since everyone else seems to like them...

jammytoast
10-27-2010, 07:29 AM
Another vote for Costco, and warning about mail order -- there's no temp. Control on he shipping, so in theory, your lenses could freeze and thaw in the colder seasons!! Unless the shipper has a policy to label boxes as medical/perishable to alert the carrier of the sensitivity, I'd stick to B&M resources.

kellybelly0513
10-27-2010, 08:06 AM
I use coastal contacts too. They have good coupon codes and you can get cash back with ebates. We don't have a Costco in my town.

Pinky
10-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks for posting this! I've been wanting to switch to contacts after wearing glasses since I was a kid. (new baby likes my glasses WAY too much! LOL)

Do you guys have a preference between the daily ones and the ones you use for 2 weeks?

calv
10-27-2010, 09:22 AM
wow, thanks so much for the great replies. I'll check most of these places out. hopefuly our eye dr can/will pricematch w/another store. :D

so far i have one lens brand on each eye. oasis something or other and I love it so far. my eye isn't tired at all, dry or feel a thing. i'm not sure if they're monthly or bi-weekly. quite honestly I wouldn't go for the ones you dispose daily. i heard they're a lot of money and not really 'worth' it but then again whatever is COMFY for you is what I'd go with. just be sure to get lots of freebies to try from your doc. HTH's

Maxlee
10-27-2010, 09:31 AM
i've had good luck with visiondirect.com, coastalcontacts.com and Costco.

brittone2
10-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Costco. it was one of the reasons we joined. The savings as compared to even Walmart or other big box stores was enough to pay our membership every year.