PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo recs?

MontrealMum
10-26-2010, 04:32 PM
I've been using Avalon Organics and and Nature's Gate shampoos for awhile now, but I'm just not satisfied with their performance. I have lots of very fine hair and by the next day I absolutely HAVE to wash again because it's looking greasy with these. When I was using the "bad" types of shampoo (the last kind I used was Aveda), I was able to go two days. And sometimes, timewise, I just need to be able to go two days!

Anyone have any recs for a shampoo that ranks well (low score) on the EWG database but also cleans super well? As in, no parabens, low in chemicals? I have sensitive skin, eczema, and lots of allergies and I don't want to go back to the big name stuff that's full of chemicals. I'm enjoying having rash-free skin :)

TIA!

SnuggleBuggles
10-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Do you think the conditioner or other styling products are more to blame for the greasy look?

I use a Whole Foods' brand grapefruit shampoo and all is well.

Beth

infomama
10-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Try a shampoo bar. I used to have to wash my hair everyday but with this I can easily skip a day. I am using Babassu and Marshmallow right now (fine straight hi lighted hair here)
http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shambar.htm

MontrealMum
10-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Do you think the conditioner or other styling products are more to blame for the greasy look?

I don't think so. I haven't changed the type of conditioner, only the shampoo. And I only condition the ends (I have long hair).

I've never heard of shampoo bars...off to check that out, it sounds intriguing!

infomama
10-26-2010, 04:46 PM
I've never heard of shampoo bars...off to check that out, it sounds intriguing!
Link to their FB page...lots of shampoo bar users there. http://www.facebook.com/ChagrinValleySoap?v=wall

dylansnan
10-26-2010, 07:14 PM
I'd probably try one of those bars, because they look great. But since July or so, I've been doing the "no poo" baking soda and water thing (posted here somewhere) and it is awesome!! My hair is soft and and shiny- I love it. I have to wash every-other day, but that is fine by me. I did have a couple of weeks of a "detox" period where my hair was really greasy, but since then it has been great. Just another way to go.

citymama
10-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Giovanni! I love Giovanni shampoos and conditioners. I use the 50-50 kind. I too was unhappy with Avalon, Aubrey Organics, and Nature's Gate. They just didn't clean well and left my hair feeling dry and stringy. Really happy with Giovanni and it scores very well on EWG's database. They sell it on soap.com among other places.

daisymommy
10-26-2010, 08:39 PM
TJMaxx usually has big pump bottles of Giovanni for around $10 too!

citymama
10-26-2010, 08:48 PM
TJMaxx usually has big pump bottles of Giovanni for around $10 too!

Wow, that's good to know! A friend of mine saw them at Costco as well for the same price.

MontrealMum
10-26-2010, 08:48 PM
That Giovanni bottle looks very familiar. I think they may have it at my local drugstore! Will have to check that out, but I'm also glad to hear that TJ Maxx may be a good place for a cheap deal :)