PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk vacuum cleaners?

bluestarfish18
10-26-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm the market for a new vacuum...as our 1950's Kirby has finally bit the dust (I know...).

I need something that will be used for carpet only, bagless and strong enough to suck up dog hair.

Reccommend yours!

edurnemk
10-26-2010, 05:34 PM
If your budget is not tight: Dyson. I have the DC25 Animal. I tried the DC28 but I found it too heavy and harder to maneuver. I'm very happy with the suction of my DC25.

ETA: I got mine for $400 at a Sears sale in April. That's the best price I've seen.

bluestarfish18
10-26-2010, 05:36 PM
We have a Dyson handheld Root and love it...maybe I should look into their Animal...

♥ms.pacman♥
10-26-2010, 05:36 PM
another vote for the Dyson Animal. i think i have the DC17. it is far better than any vacuum i have ever owned. the best part is, DH loves it as well (he thinks it's fun seeing the canister fill up with so much stuff), so much that he always insists on doing all the vacuuming. :D

bluestarfish18
10-26-2010, 05:41 PM
another vote for the Dyson Animal. i think i have the DC17. it is far better than any vacuum i have ever owned. the best part is, DH loves it as well (he thinks it's fun seeing the canister fill up with so much stuff), so much that he always insists on doing all the vacuuming. :D

Can I just borrow your vacuum, with DH attatched?

nellonello
10-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Another Dyson fan. Kohls (during sales) and Costco typically seem to have the best pricing from what I have seen.

AnnieW625
10-26-2010, 06:05 PM
I have the Dyson DC14 All Floors kit. I bought it at Costco a few years back. I have been happy with it. We have almost all hardwood in our house and I really like the low floor and hardwood floor tools. I don't care for the mini turbine tool. I really wanted a Miele, but I couldn't bring myself to spend $700 on a vacuum so the Dyson was a good compromise. I paid $450 for my All Floors Dyson+Kit.

Costco currently has the DC25 with attachments for $529 (tax, and shipping is usually included in the price), and the DC 14 w/mini turbine tool for $349.

lhafer
10-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Never had a Dyson, but I love my Bissell Healthy Home vacuum cleaner. It worked really well to pick up all of our dog hair, cat hair, my hair, and tons and tons of dust/dirt. It also works on flat surfaces (tile, wood, etc).

brittone2
10-26-2010, 06:25 PM
FOr carpet I'd say dyson. If you think you'll have a lot of hardwood or other hard surfaces in the future, I'd say Miele.

AJP
10-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Our dyson is great on our carpets! Picks up every last dog hair! I hate using it on the hardwood though. We have central vac and it only works well on the hw and tile bathrooms. If we didn't have central vac and didn't already have the dyson I would probably have splurged on the miele for it's versatility.

Clarity
10-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Everyone here always loves their Dysons. It makes me wonder why the Hoover took the top two spots in this year's annual "best" Consumer Reports list.

Just wondering. We're also in the market for a new vaccum as we've recently moved from our 100% hardwood floors to our 85% carpeted new home.

mommylamb
10-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Once you go Dyson you never go back.

brittone2
10-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Everyone here always loves their Dysons. It makes me wonder why the Hoover took the top two spots in this year's annual "best" Consumer Reports list.

Just wondering. We're also in the market for a new vaccum as we've recently moved from our 100% hardwood floors to our 85% carpeted new home.
Years ago we bought a vacuum based on CR's ranking (Eureka or Hoover, I can't remember) and it was pretty terrible before long. I like CR as a starting point for some things but I also think they are sometimes way off base.

AnnieW625
10-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Years ago we bought a vacuum based on CR's ranking (Eureka or Hoover, I can't remember) and it was pretty terrible before long. I like CR as a starting point for some things but I also think they are sometimes way off base.

My aunt bought a Hoover right before I bought my Dyson in 2007 and the thing already gave up the ghost. I was this close to getting a top of the line Hoover for $250 or something at Costco and saw that the Dyson came with a 5 yr. warranty and opted to pay more for it. If I had bought the Hoover I'd most likely be replacing it by now.

WolfpackMom
10-27-2010, 04:54 PM

Probably because they factor in price.

We have a dyson, I think the filter needs to be cleaned because I dont think it sucks as well as it used to. I wanted one forever and one day Target had their Target Red Dyson on clearance for $200. Otherwise I would have never been able to spend what a Dyson really costs!

peanut520
10-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Once you go Dyson you never go back.

:yeahthat:

Lupe
10-27-2010, 05:55 PM
I always wanted a Dyson I am thinking on buying one
I am also short on storage so I was looking at the DC24, because it seems very compact, does anyone have this model?

3blackcats
10-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Love our Dyson on carpets. We have the Animal. Love the mini turbine head for stairs and vacuuming the furniture.

bubbaray
10-27-2010, 09:13 PM

:yeahthat:

We purchased a Kenmore canister in 2004 that was a CR Best Buy. It is a complete PIECE OF CR@P. I HATE that #$%&& vacuum with the heat of a thousand suns. Even DH, who rarely has an opinion on household appliances HATES it -- so much so that he wouldn't let me renew our CR subscription after that purchase.

We are leaning towards either a Dyson or Miele for our next vacuum -- our house is about 50% hardwood, 50% carpet. We have one large dog, see Avatar.

sunshine873
10-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Another vote for the Dyson DC25 Animal!

For years I listened to all my friends rave about their Dyson, yet wondering why CR didn't like them. Finally, my vacuum bit the dust and I decided word of mouth from people I trust was more valuable than CR's opinion. I'm so glad I got my Dyson! It works great on carpet, is lightweight & very maneuverable. I also bought the bare floors tool (off of Amazon) after using it at a friend's house. I am in love.

Sweetum
10-28-2010, 02:02 AM
Ok, I just pulled the trigger on a dyson dc24 feeling that the dc25 is a but much for us (storage). Tell me please, is the dc25 so much better? If so, I'll change my order. we have no pets (just my hair :D) and we have 10% hardwood, 40% slate and 50% carpet. We do have carpet on the stairs, but DH, who does the vacuuming at home, feels the telescopic handles are never as effective as the main suction brush itself. is that true for the dyson as well.

And now for the important part - I bought it at target that gave me a 50% discount!!!!! 10% for appliances and I added a code that gave me a total of 50%. here's the code: TGDYSN40
hope this helps OP.

coming back to my dilemma, is $50 (which is what I'll be paying more) pittance in comparison wth the power/effectiveness of the dc25?

Thanks.

Clarity
10-28-2010, 10:01 AM
And now for the important part - I bought it at target that gave me a 50% discount!!!!! 10% for appliances and I added a code that gave me a total of 50%. here's the code: TGDYSN40
hope this helps OP.

coming back to my dilemma, is $50 (which is what I'll be paying more) pittance in comparison wth the power/effectiveness of the dc25?

Thanks.

THANKS SOOOO MUCH for sharing that code. I went ahead and bought a D25 for $293!! Whoo hoo!!

bluestarfish18
10-28-2010, 10:47 AM
hope this helps OP.

Thanks.

Holy Canoli Batman! With all the amazing reviews on the Dyson, how could I passup this offer?! Thank you a million!:bighand:

AnnieW625
10-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Holy Canoli Batman! With all the amazing reviews on the Dyson, how could I passup this offer?! Thank you a million!:bighand:

Tried the code (on some other Dyson items) TGDYSN40, and they said it had expired.

Sweetum
10-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Tried the code (on some other Dyson items) TGDYSN40, and they said it had expired.

Yes :( I'd posted this in the bargains forum as well and some ppl said that they got the same message. I changed the status there to DEAD. Sorry you couldn't get in on it :(

So glad I could help!

Lupe
10-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Ok, I just pulled the trigger on a dyson dc24 feeling that the dc25 is a but much for us (storage). Tell me please, is the dc25 so much better? If so, I'll change my order. we have no pets (just my hair :D) and we have 10% hardwood, 40% slate and 50% carpet. We do have carpet on the stairs, but DH, who does the vacuuming at home, feels the telescopic handles are never as effective as the main suction brush itself. is that true for the dyson as well.

same dilemma here, would love to have an opinion
too bad your coupon expired