PDA

View Full Version : DD put a bead up her nose!

sariana
10-26-2010, 06:27 PM
It happened to me....

I was talking with DH on Skype (he is deployed and 12 hours off), and I heard DD start crying in the other room. I went to see what was wrong, and she told me she put something in her nose. Sure enough, I could see a bead way up there.

We went to urgent care, and thankfully the doctor was able to remove the bead. He said the next step would have been visiting an ENT and having DD put under.

Poor DH knew that we made it to Urgent Care, but he didn't know the final outcome before needing to go to bed. He'll find an email waiting for him in the morning.

I am just so glad DD is verbal enough that she could tell me what had happened. Who knows how long it might have been before I figured out she had something up her nose?

Even MIL thought this was out of character for DD, though. DD is used to playing with DS's toys, and she usually doesn't put things into orifices. I thought we had cleaned up all the beads, but I wasn't really vigilant because I didn't think it was a big deal.

I guess I learned my lesson. I hope DD learned hers, too.

jgenie
10-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Oh no!! Glad to hear they were able to take care of it with minimal intervention.

Melaine
10-26-2010, 09:41 PM
My grandfather was an ENT and you'd be surprised how often this happens. One time someone brought their kid because, well, he SMELLED. Turned out that he had shoved a SHRIMP up his nose.

LMPC
10-26-2010, 09:55 PM
My grandfather was an ENT and you'd be surprised how often this happens. One time someone brought their kid because, well, he SMELLED. Turned out that he had shoved a SHRIMP up his nose.

:hysterical: I don't know whether to be disgusted or LMAO!!!

BTW, I stuck a round vitamin up my nose when I was about your DD's age, OP. I lived to tell the tale...this will be a good go-to story when she grows up ;) Glad everything turned out well!

Babymakes3
10-26-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm glad it was taken care of easily! Ds put a pea up his nose at mil's house during dinner one night, the first time it was right at the entrance so i got it out easily then a few minutes later he did it again! SIL and I had to hold him down while I tried to fish it out with tweezers but he kept sucking it up further. Then all of a sudden he snuffed out and out the pee flew! I imagine a bead is much worse so i'm very happy it ended up not being too big of a deal for your dd!

:ROTFLMAO: at the shrimp thing!

american_mama
10-27-2010, 02:30 AM
BTDT 3 times with two kids!! Once with a Polly shoe (pediatrician visit), once with a bead (DH came home from work while I was making plans to go to the doctor, and he got it out) and once with ROLLED UP BALLS OF BREAD!! I think DD1 was able to blow that out herself.

Each time, the kids told me as soon as it happened.

doberbrat
10-27-2010, 07:51 AM
sil sent a giant bear for dd1's 2nd bday and the thing split a seam within 2 days. dd1 and dh were napping and she grabbed a handful of beads and stuffed them up her nose. dh still swears that she accidently inhaled them.

He removed a dozen and then had to go to urgent care - $2500 later all the pellets were out

We're alot more careful w/stuff w/that kind of filling now!

hope her nose isnt too sore

wendibird22
10-27-2010, 08:07 AM
DD1 put kleenex up her nose the other day. She had a bad cold for about a week and her nose was always runny at night so I put the kleenex box w/in easy reach of her bed. Well she took to playing with a tissue and rolled it into little balls, put one ball up her nose and then came crying to me about it. Thankfully it was right at the opening. I kept asking her if there was more up there and she said no and I had her blow many times. Hopefully she was telling the truth!

Radosti
10-27-2010, 12:32 PM
I actually wrote a big thank you letter to Graco for their Battery Operated Nasal Aspirator a couple of months ago. I bought it for helping the baby clear her nose when she had a cold. One day, DS2 shoved a piece of freeze-dried mango up his nose and before rushing off to the ER, I tried that thing. Worked like a charm. The nasal piece suctioned on to the mango chunk and I was able to carefully pull it out.

ahisma
10-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Yikes!

A friend shared a tip that may help if it happens again, she was able to avoid an ER trip with it. Hold the other nostril (the one without anything up it) closed with your finger, leave the "stuffed" one open. Cover the child's mouth with your mouth (forming as tight of a seal as possible) and blow HARD into their mouth. The air will come out of the open nostril (with something up it) and the item will pop out. Voila!

HIU8
10-27-2010, 01:38 PM
DN put a rock up her nose a few months ago. My sister took her to the ENT who was able to remove it.