PDA

View Full Version : New Carpet Off Gassing

randomkid
10-26-2010, 06:42 PM
We finally got new carpet in DD's room today - yea!!! :bighand::cheerleader1: However, I was so wrapped up in getting rid of the stinky cat pee polluted carpet - read here if you are so inclined - http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=372582 - that I totally forgot about the off gassing issue until our installation date was already set. I just read that you can ask the company to air out the carpet for a week before installing, but, like I said, it was already too late. I also couldn't be too picky about the carpet since my parents were kind enough to buy it for us. So, now DD's room reeks of new carpet smell. I have her windows open and a fan on. How long do I need to air out this room before she can start sleeping in there? It burns my throat going in there, so there is no way I'm letting her sleep in that room right away.

brittone2
10-26-2010, 06:53 PM
You might want to search/google this but I think it can be beneficial to jack up the heat to get it to offgas faster. However, that's obviously not practical if you don't have individual thermostats or if you live in a warm climate, which I think you are in? I think it is supposed to speed up the process.