PDA

View Full Version : I was just "ghosted"

sidmand
10-26-2010, 07:37 PM
And it scared the heck out of me!

We live on a main street and no one ever comes here unless they intend to (or are turning around in our driveway). I saw a car look like it was pulling up the driveway and then ring the doorbell. DH isn't home (and I actually don't usually open the door unless I'm expecting someone, particularly at night!) so I didn't answer (plus I was putting DCs to bed) but then for some reason I did actually think maybe it was someone "ghosting" me.

I've never been ghosted before. And it's all in a cute Dunkin Donuts resuable bag. Very cute. But now I have to "ghost" someone else, right? I've also never done this to anyone else before! It says to include the poem and a ghost. Should I make a copy? Can I just include the one they gave me? Anything in particular I should leave? I have no idea who gave me this! Should I? I guess it's supposed to be a secret.

MamaSnoo
10-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Oh, someone please do tell....I have never heard of this before. It sounds quite cute!
Did they leave you a little toy ghost?
Would you be willing to share the poem?

daphne
10-26-2010, 07:49 PM
I was ghosted by a neighbor a few nights ago. There should be a packet of info in there about what to do. I basically copied what was in my bag (a ghost, the directions & a bag of treats (candy, straw, sticker etc...). I was supposed to ghost 2 families, but ended up only ghosting 1. It's actually pretty fun!

Pennylane
10-26-2010, 08:03 PM
We call it being "Booed" where I live. Here is a link to some info about it:

http://www.beenbooed.com/

Ann

Corie
10-26-2010, 08:05 PM
We call it being "Booed" where I live. Here is a link to some info about it:

http://www.beenbooed.com/

Ann

I was just getting ready to post that link.

Although over the years, I have created my own ghost and BOO-ing letter. :)

sidmand
10-26-2010, 08:05 PM
I just googled it because it actually didn't say anything about leaving the ghost on my door (and the ghost is stuck on the back of the poem) so I don't think the one I left was *quite* right but still very cute!

Here's the poem I found online (and the same as mine except the one I received leaves out the first part about the ghost):

You've Been Ghosted!
Late last night, we left you a treat. The tradition is fun, one we hope you'll repeat.

Take the ghost and pin it on your door, to let others know, you need ghosted no more.

Now it's your duty to pass on the surprise, to two more families, we must advise.

Gather some treats and deliver them soon, within two nights, under the light of the moon.

Include a ghost with each package you give, along with this poem for the tradition to live.

I'll make up a couple of bags for two people tomorrow. Ah, too bad my Oriental Trading stuff isn't coming until Friday! Maybe I can wait until then. That'd be three days, but...

LMPC
10-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Yeah, this is sooo much fun! When we do it in our neighborhood, we tape the paper ghost (was one included in your bag?) to a front window of the house. This lets other know that you have been ghosted/booed and to surprise someone else. Our neighbors rock and ghosted us with pumpkin beer and candy!!!

Happy Halloween!!!

maybeebaby08
10-26-2010, 08:49 PM
We make a copy of the ghost to include in the bag for the person you ghost and then hang the original in the window. I love ghosting we never did this growing up, but everyone does it where we live now, its so much fun.

DietCokeLover
10-26-2010, 08:52 PM
I've never heard of that before. How fun!

California
10-26-2010, 09:36 PM
We scared the heck out of our neighbor by "booing" her. She and her kids booed us last week, and we could hear and see them giggling in the dark. So the next night we snuck up to their house, dropped a bag on their front door step, rang the doorbell and ran behind some bushes. She could see our silhouettes against her curtains and freaked! She came out yelling, "Who's there? I can see you!" and completely missed the boo bag on her doorstep. I felt horrible! But after a while we did have a good laugh about it. She said, "I almost called the cops!" Now that would have been an interesting night for my little kids!!

newg
10-26-2010, 09:43 PM
we do this in our neighborhood too! We tape our ghost to the front window so we don't get "booed" twice.

Corie
10-26-2010, 09:44 PM
I always get busted when BOOing people. Some of my friends have
older kids and they always chase us!! LOL! It's hard to run with 2
kids. My son is slower than molasses. :)

Babymakes3
10-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Someone did that to me last year too but it was a different name than i've read here, I can't remember what they called it though. I do remember that it was about 9:30 at night, ds was 1 and asleep, dh was not home and I was sitting on the couch watching tv with my computer in my lap. I was afraid to get up to get the phone bc i had to cross in front of the window by the front door to get it so I posted something on fb and one of my neighbors saw it and went to see who was out there. Man did I ever feel stupid once we realized what had happened! :D

Momit
10-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Booing is so much fun! We've done it with our neighbors in a few places we've lived, but in other areas people have never heard of it. It is tricky to not get caught - the last time I did it was before DS so I could get away much quicker!