PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen "The Rocky Horror Picture Show"??

Corie
10-26-2010, 09:21 PM
I'm sitting here watching Glee and I'm wondering if you have ever
seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I have never seen it.

Is it worth seeing? What's the deal with it?
Why the cult following?

LMPC
10-26-2010, 09:25 PM
LMAO re: John Stamos!!!

catsnkid
10-26-2010, 09:28 PM
It's mildy amusing. I saw it in Boston re-enacted as well.. interesting experience.

Raidra
10-26-2010, 09:28 PM
You have to like that sort of campy off-beat weirdness. I like it. :)

WolfpackMom
10-26-2010, 09:39 PM

Yup and I got dressed up, super fun. DH flabbergasted me during Glee saying he hadn't ever seen it even on tv and doesn't know the Time Warp!

bubbaray
10-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Is it worth seeing? What's the deal with it?
Why the cult following?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rocky_Horror_Picture_Show

Hmmm, well:

Its the longest-running theatrical release film in history -- and it still continues in its original "run" by 20th Century Fox; and
It has audience participation (throughout).

I dunno, its kinda just one of those things you have to experience. Not sure if I would be as thoroughly enjoyable now as it was when I was in university.... I can still do the Time Warp and I know when to flick my Bic, squirt water/cover my head with newspaper, and throw rice. LOL

mom2binsd
10-26-2010, 09:45 PM
I went way back in high school, it was often playing at at old style theater, I remember it was in downtown Ottawa and on our way there we saw hookers, very exciting for suburban teens!

We brought toast to throw and a few other things too, it was fun, the best part was the dancing to all the great music!

Corie
10-26-2010, 09:46 PM
I can still do the Time Warp and I know when to flick my Bic, squirt water/cover my head with newspaper, and throw rice. LOL

Absolutely no clue what you are talking about!!! LOL! :)

Clarity
10-26-2010, 09:46 PM
I never have. But isn't John Stamos yummy?

Ceepa
10-26-2010, 09:51 PM
You go to the theater. And because it's the same movie each time audience members tend to know all the lines (and recite them loudly), dance along with the characters onscreen, have costumes, props, etc.

Definitely one of those things that's fun with a bunch of friends when you're in high school or college but not really after that. It's like performance art for the masses.

liamsmom
10-26-2010, 09:56 PM
You go to the theater. And because it's the same movie each time audience members tend to know all the lines (and recite them loudly), dance along with the characters onscreen, have costumes, props, etc.

Definitely one of those things that's fun with a bunch of friends when you're in high school or college but not really after that. It's like performance art for the masses.

:yeahthat: I went a few years ago and was one of the oldest people in the audience! Was not the same as high school. sniff.

bubbaray
10-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Absolutely no clue what you are talking about!!! LOL! :)

Try this: http://thestir.cafemom.com/entertainment/111132/rocky_horror_picture_show_audience

Here are the lines: http://www.badmovies.org/movies/rockyhorror/audience/ -- a lot of that is WAY more detailed than I remember.

maestramommy
10-26-2010, 10:00 PM
I saw it in college, which I gather is the prime age for seeing it. I saw it with my suitemates when it was showing at the campus theater. Apparently you dress up like it's Halloween, and there is a cast of people in the front row that make all sorts of ribald double entendres following the dialogue. The movie itself is total camp, and not something you would watch alone on your TV at home. But as a group bonding experience it can be fun. I'm told it's much better if you're drunk or stoned:p Or maybe that was The Wall.

jenfromnj
10-26-2010, 10:34 PM
I also saw it a couple of times in college--my roommates and I would go to the late night showing in the Village on (or right before) Halloween. Although, our festivities beforehand and the general craziness there caused me to not to have a very good recollection of the details of the movie, LOL.

Twoboos
10-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Seen it, but never in the theater, just on tv.

Although I somehow know all the words to Time Warp. (Which is stuck in my head now, thankyouverymuch. ;) )

wellyes
10-26-2010, 10:45 PM
It used to be the kind of thing you had to kinda know someone who knew about it. Not that it was actually obscure, but it was a way for weirdos or wannabe weirdos to connect in the pre-internet age. it was more for the experience than the movie. Dressing up, the midnight-only showtime, always playing in some dilapidated old-fashioned theater.

The movie itself is way dirty, not remotely high school appropriate, but that's just Glee being Glee.

gatorsmom
10-26-2010, 10:52 PM
I saw it in college, which I gather is the prime age for seeing it. I saw it with my suitemates when it was showing at the campus theater. Apparently you dress up like it's Halloween, and there is a cast of people in the front row that make all sorts of ribald double entendres following the dialogue. The movie itself is total camp, and not something you would watch alone on your TV at home. But as a group bonding experience it can be fun. I'm told it's much better if you're drunk or stoned:p Or maybe that was The Wall.

I went in college with a group of friends. One of them was a theater major and so made sure the rest of us had rice, toast and squirt guns. It was fun and totally campy. I do remember thinking it wouldda been more fun if one of us had brought along some booze, though.

TwinFoxes
10-26-2010, 11:21 PM
I can't imagine watching it on TV, or not as an undergrad with my friends. It's not a good movie in the traditional sense, and I think even the campy humor will feel ancient.

For those of you who didn't see the film, Barry Bostwick and Meatloaf, two of the stars, had cameos in tonight's Glee as the TV execs who convince Sue to do an exposé.

Sillygirl
10-27-2010, 12:07 AM
I imagine after tonight's Glee, many people who missed seeing Rocky Horror in college are going to Netflix it - and they're going to be VERY disappointed. All the fun is in the audience participation, and you need to see it with an audience that knows all the jokes. On its own, it's a terrible movie.

rlu
10-27-2010, 12:20 AM
I almost saw it with a work group when I worked at a theme park right out of high school. They had rented it but someone complained and so they didn't play it.

It's not something you go to by yourself. DH has absolutely no interest and so I haven't seen it. If it was on cable I might watch, but again, it's a group thing.

american_mama
10-27-2010, 01:54 AM
I saw it once in a theater around my college years. It's not my kind of thing at all - the weird crowd, the audience participation, the hyper sexuality, the visual look, the camp humor - and I didn't especially like it. That being said, I think I also totally didn't *get* it; I don't think I had any idea why a man was dressed like a woman, for instance. Part of me would like to re-watch it to see if I get it more; on the other hand, I also see that as needless torture.

The female lead, Janet, was played by Susan Sarandon and the male co-lead, Brad, was played by Barry Bostwick. Both have gone on to have very successful acting careers, playing a huge range of roles and types. I also don't think they have tried to distance themselves from this movie. I compare that to actors from "Gilligan's Island," some "Star Trek" actors, the guy who payed Norman Bates, and several others that I am forgetting, who felt they got typecast from parts in early,freaky and/orlower quality productions. I wonder why it didn't happen to Susan Sarandon and Barry Bostwick.

LexyLou
10-27-2010, 01:57 AM
I've seen it a couple of times.

Some random local productions and once on Broadway. It's fun, but I don't love, love it.

kijip
10-27-2010, 02:07 AM
Yes, a few times in high school. And my high school put it on, weird high school I know, and I was in it. It was ok. Not something I am really going to do again. Isn't that why high school exists? I have been in 4 plays in my life, all in high school:

Red Noses
Jesus Christ Superstar
Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Madwomen of Chaillot.

Yes, my high school experience was an atypical one to say the least. :hysterical:

niccig
10-27-2010, 02:16 AM
I've seen it a few times on TV, but it is more fun seeing it at a theatre when people dress up, throw things, sing and dance.

It definitely got it's following of people.

boogiemomz
10-27-2010, 08:08 AM
I've seen parts of it on TV, but only when I was younger and I didn't really know what it was. I was always really confused!! :ROTFLMAO: It was never really on anyone's radar in college, among my circle of friends. Watching last night, though, I was definitely feeling like I missed out on something. Thinking about netflixing. :bag

Corie
10-27-2010, 08:12 AM
For those of you who didn't see the film, Barry Bostwick and Meatloaf, two of the stars, had cameos in tonight's Glee as the TV execs who convince Sue to do an exposé.

I recognized Barry Bostwick but I didn't know the other guy was Meatloaf!!

cindys
10-27-2010, 08:28 AM
LOVE the Rocky Horror Picture Show!

Have seen it in the theatre and always watch it when it comes on tv around this time of year...

DH has never seen it and has no interest.

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...19, 4 & 2 :love-retry::love-retry::love-retry:

elliput
10-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Hot Patootie, bless my soul, I really love that Rock and Roll.

Yeah. I've seen it a dozen or more times. Need to get it on blu-ray as it was just released last week!

scrooks
10-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Never have seen it (I voted John Stamos :heartbeat:because I did watch Glee). DH and I were talking about it last night (while Glee was on) and he has never seen it either.

ThreeofUs
10-27-2010, 01:54 PM

:yeahthat: And you have to REALLY like puns. I'm a Geek, so it suits me.

TwinFoxes
10-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Hot Patootie, bless my soul, I really love that Rock and Roll.

Yeah. I've seen it a dozen or more times. Need to get it on blu-ray as it was just released last week!

I smell product placement advertising! It all makes sense now...I'm sure Fox got a nice check. (not criticizing, just observing!)

SnuggleBuggles
10-27-2010, 02:17 PM
I imagine after tonight's Glee, many people who missed seeing Rocky Horror in college are going to Netflix it - and they're going to be VERY disappointed. All the fun is in the audience participation, and you need to see it with an audience that knows all the jokes. On its own, it's a terrible movie.

Dh did indeed turn to it on Netflix right after. :D He has seen it for real though. he just wanted to get the Glee version out of his head. :)

Beth

Beckylove
10-27-2010, 03:45 PM
I voted John Stamos (which I interpreted as other).

I went to it in college with my then boyfriend. We walked out of it. For two people trying to remain abstinent, the lyrics "Touch me, touch me, I wanna be dirty" was not something we needed to hear.

daisymommy
10-27-2010, 03:51 PM
No clue about it :shrug:

Okay, I just read the links provided for the lines, lyrics, and audience participation.
I am so very not impressed :shake:

Mikey0709
10-28-2010, 09:47 AM
OHHHH yeah.... i was actually SCARED going to see it the first time during high school - - we went to SOUTH STREET in Philly and for those of you that know - - you were considered a virgin if you didn't see it before... and the live characters were great at picking on the virgins in the audience! AND these were TRUE transvestites that did the midnight show at the TLA Theater! I was SO prepared with my toast, water pistol, newspaper, etc..... i SO didn't want to be picked on and learned alot of words in advance. Nothing like have a 6ft 5 guy dressed in a corset approach you when you were 15 and naive! OH the things you remember - - but it was awesome after that first experience! By the 2nd time i went i was a pro! It was actually a blast.

They run it now at the Colonial Theater in Phoenixville, PA (where the BLOB was originally filmed)... but I haven't gone yet.

wellyes
10-28-2010, 11:40 AM
I smell product placement advertising! It all makes sense now...I'm sure Fox got a nice check. (not criticizing, just observing!)

Not just the DVD, I read that Ryan Murphy (Glee's creator) will direct a new version of the movie.