PDA

View Full Version : How often do you wash your bedsheets?

MMMommy
10-26-2010, 11:44 PM
A friend of mine today said she was really bad about washing her bedsheets regularly, saying she "only washes them every two weeks." If she thinks that is bad, then I'm REALLY bad. :bag

How often do you wash your bedsheets?

edurnemk
10-26-2010, 11:45 PM
Oooh, then you won't like my answer: once a week, 10 days when I'm bad about it.

smilequeen
10-26-2010, 11:52 PM
About every 2 weeks. And that's only b/c I have my cleaning lady do it. I'd totally forget about it otherwise. I'm bad with stuff like that.

NancyJ_redo
10-26-2010, 11:55 PM
That is my *least* favorite task in the whole world. I'll gladly clean the toilets instead of changing sheets.

I just told DH about an hour ago "Sorry to sound like a b*tch, but when your mom comes this weekend I am NOT putting sheets on the guest bed. I don't even want to change our sheets after a few weeks of using them, so imagine how I feel about completely changing sheets after someone sleeps in the guest bed for 1 night". :bag

Smillow
10-27-2010, 12:06 AM
Once a week - if I let it go longer (and I have - don't ask) it skeeves me out. I love getting into a bed with clean sheets.

pakin
10-27-2010, 12:32 AM
Normally once a week. I'm highly allergic to dust mites.

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

kali
10-27-2010, 01:55 AM
Once a week, but only since I started having my house cleaned weekly. Before that it was once every two weeks. And before I had a cleaning service.....:bag

I'm a bit of a germophobe, but I hate hate hate this task.

LexyLou
10-27-2010, 01:57 AM
About every 2 weeks. And that's only b/c I have my cleaning lady do it. I'd totally forget about it otherwise. I'm bad with stuff like that.

:yeahthat:

amldaley
10-27-2010, 06:50 AM
Where is the "Other"????

In summer, it is as often as once a week. In winter or when I get really busy with work, um...it could go a little longer...maybe even up to a month :bag

When we went through a phase of DD sitting on or in my ed to eat breakfast, it had to be weekly as it was simply GROSS with spilled food.

It also depends on how much time I have, if the cats are shedding alot, if my allergies are bothering me, and nowadays, with DH gone, I barely sleep anyway and sort of sleep sideways and just with a sheet, and sort of on top of the bed not in it, so I admit to washing only about every 3 weeks.

babychi
10-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Once a week here, usually every Sunday. Kind of dorky, but I love climbing into clean sheets to "end" the weekend on a relaxing note. If it's been longer than a week, I start to get grossed out a bit.

brittone2
10-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Once a week. Sometimes it is more like 10 days. DS1 can strip his sheets for me now which is a big big help.

pinkmomagain
10-27-2010, 09:33 AM
Once a week, usually on Sunday. However, this is totally initiated by DH who is very particular about clean bedding. He usually strips the beds, washes/dries the sheets, and replaces them on the beds. He doesn't do a whole lot around the house on a regular basis, but this is his "thing." If it were up to me, I'd be much lazier about it.

kam
10-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Once a week here, since college. But now it's even better -- the cleaning lady does it. I leave out clean sheets, she strips the beds, puts on the clean ones, and washes the dirty ones. Sometimes the sheets are still in the dryer when I get home from work, so I have to fold them, but that's no biggie. So yes, I'm spoiled. :-)

lizzywednesday
10-27-2010, 09:42 AM
I'll do the sheets about once a month, but would do them more often if I had another set. (I have 4 and a half sets of sheets for our bed; if I had 5 or more sets, I'd do them a lot more frequently.)

gcc2k
10-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Once a week here, usually every Sunday. Kind of dorky, but I love climbing into clean sheets to "end" the weekend on a relaxing note. If it's been longer than a week, I start to get grossed out a bit.

Exactly!!

DH actually makes fun of me on occasion when I start stripping the bed on Sundays. "It's been 6 days, 23 hours since we've had clean sheets. Must wash!!"

I actually wash them mostly because of his dried sweat and dirt. I shower at night so am relatively clean when I get into bed, but not him. Might be TMI, but there are other bodily fluids that need to be washed away regularly...KWIM?

elephantmeg
10-27-2010, 10:10 AM
once a month or so here. We shower at night and no one eats in bed so they stay pretty clean. The kids are the same unless they pee or puke in them. I really hate changing sheets! And DH does nothing around the house so it's all me to strip 3 beds, wash the sheets and put them back on.

Melaine
10-27-2010, 10:18 AM
A week to ten days. The girls beds are usually every 2 weeks.

Nechums
10-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Every two weeks. I hate putting on the duvet cover. I can never get it right and there's always extra sheet somewhere. So my cleaning lady does it and she only comes once every two weeks.

baymom
10-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Every two weeks, and that's really just because that's when the cleaners come and do it. I feel more grossed out by not having clean pillow covers then fresh sheets, though.

brittone2
10-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Every two weeks. I hate putting on the duvet cover. I can never get it right and there's always extra sheet somewhere. So my cleaning lady does it and she only comes once every two weeks.

LOL. DH does our duvet cover for me. I wash it, he puts it back on because the duvet and I do not get along ;)

MMMommy
10-27-2010, 04:25 PM
It's just such a chore making the bed. I hate it. But I do love the feeling of fresh sheets.

Seeing all these answers makes me more motivated to do it more frequently.

deborah_r
10-27-2010, 04:29 PM
OP, if your friend is like me, she is saying 2 weeks but really means more like 4 weeks. I want to be somewhat honest with people, but not totally skeeve them out!

I hate putting the sheets back on. I ask DH to help me (so much easier with 2 people) but he makes a big inept mess out of it so I just tell him to go away.

This is timely for me. I strive to change them more often, and we also co-sleep with the boys. I washed the sheets last night and put them on...and DS2 wet the bed. My 2nd set of sheets developed a rip, so we are on one set right now, so I have to take the sheets off and wash them and put them back on all in the same day (with shared apartment machines being my only way of doing laundry). So it takes some planning.

MMMommy
10-27-2010, 04:47 PM
This is timely for me. I strive to change them more often, and we also co-sleep with the boys. I washed the sheets last night and put them on...and DS2 wet the bed.

I swear I was cursed when the girls were potty night training. They would go long stretches without any accidents. Lo and behold, the day I washed sheets would be the day they had an accident!

lorinick
10-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Every two weeks. I would love to do it every week if I found the time or had a maid.

pastrygirl
10-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Almost two years ago, my answer would've been... a few times a year. Then I decided to make it a habit and do it weekly. I really had to force myself to stick with it. Now I can't imagine not doing it every Monday. It took a while before I got to that point, though!

ETA: My laundry is in my bedroom hallway/closet area, so laundry is (relatively) easy to do. I don't think I would do it nearly as much if I had to go to the basement.

pastrygirl
10-27-2010, 05:32 PM
It's just such a chore making the bed. I hate it. But I do love the feeling of fresh sheets.

Seeing all these answers makes me more motivated to do it more frequently.Fresh sheets have definitely become a motivator! I LOVE it and can't go back to not washing! I have a second set, so I usually alternate. I strip the bed and wash those sheets right away, and make the bed with the sheets I washed the previous week. They manage to stay pretty darned fresh over that week. :)

Pennylane
10-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Once a week or more if anyone is sick! I love fresh sheets :)

Ann

AnnieW625
10-27-2010, 05:46 PM
I voted weekly because that is my goal, but I often go two weeks.

Corie
10-27-2010, 07:47 PM
About every 2 weeks.

I'd love to have clean sheets every single day!

jgenie
10-27-2010, 08:10 PM
I'd love to have clean sheets every single day!

I remember seeing a show where Oprah said her sheets were ironed and changed daily.

lmintzer
10-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Every 1-2 weeks. Definitely once/week in the summer.

However, we are terrible about washing the duvet covers and quilts. Those almost never get done. Ours is dry clean only (what WAS i thinking). In my defense, I always try to make sure that there is a top sheet in between the cover and the people!

shawnandangel
10-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Our bed is once every 2 weeks, or once a week if I'm not feeling lazy.
DD gets her bed chaged at least once a week. I don't know how she gets it so dirty!

vludmilla
10-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Once a week though there was a time in my life many years ago when I rarely changed the sheets. I didn't grow up with the sheets being changed regularly so I didn't know about the benefits of clean sheets!

nicolexx
10-28-2010, 05:58 AM
Every two weeks