PDA

View Full Version : Is everyone "protecting" their new boots?

TamiRuns
10-27-2010, 06:57 AM
I have a few new pairs of boots landing soon and was thinking I better get some spray to protect them. We do get nasty winters here and my boots will be exposed to some moisture.

What are you using and where did you purchase it? Can you use the same product on suede and leather?

bubbaray
10-27-2010, 08:32 AM
I use a Tana spray protector, which I'm quite sure depleats 50% of the ozone layer with each use....

You should PM MontrealMom -- there isn't a place on the planet that uses more salt and nasty anti-freeze chemicals on sidewalks than Montreal. There is a product that they all use there, but I can't remember the name of it.

HTH

ETA -- if you do get salt stains on them, you need to use a diluted vinegar solution right away, let air dry and then re-protect.

TamiRuns
10-27-2010, 09:32 AM
I use a Tana spray protector, which I'm quite sure depleats 50% of the ozone layer with each use....

You should PM MontrealMom -- there isn't a place on the planet that uses more salt and nasty anti-freeze chemicals on sidewalks than Montreal. There is a product that they all use there, but I can't remember the name of it.

HTH

ETA -- if you do get salt stains on them, you need to use a diluted vinegar solution right away, let air dry and then re-protect.

Thanks for the suggestions and tips! I'm on the way out the door and may see what I can find as far as spray protectants go....

Dream
10-27-2010, 09:56 AM
I've never done it and didn't even know others do something like this.

bubbaray
10-27-2010, 10:31 AM
I've never done it and didn't even know others do something like this.

It really depends on where you live and if your shoes are either non-leather or already protected.

We get a lot of rain here, so its pretty common to use a water protector on all leather shoes. In places where they salt the heck out of the sidewalks and roads, even if your leather shoes are pre-protected, they will get salt stains.

pastrygirl
10-27-2010, 01:57 PM
I always do it on suede shoes and boots, and sometimes on regular leather shoes unless they are already water-resistant/proof. I use Protect-All.

DrSally
10-27-2010, 09:21 PM
I just got some spray on protector at Walmart or Target. I think they all have the same ingred. It says to spray, let it dry, and spray again. I hope it helps.

DrSally
10-27-2010, 09:23 PM

HTH

Good tip about the vinegar solution. In the winter, I always wipe my leather shoes off with a damp rag when I get home or they will get major salt stains.

I have another question. Are boot forms necessary? Are they just for looks or do they help keep the shape of the boot nice, just like a shoe tree?

TamiRuns
10-27-2010, 09:36 PM
I just got some spray on protector at Walmart or Target. I think they all have the same ingred. It says to spray, let it dry, and spray again. I hope it helps.

I was at Wal-Mart today, in a rush as usual, and couldn't find any. Is it near the shoe department? That makes sense, but at the time, I couldn't figure out where it would be!

DrSally
10-27-2010, 09:37 PM
I was at Wal-Mart today, in a rush as usual, and couldn't find any. Is it near the shoe department? That makes sense, but at the time, I couldn't figure out where it would be!

Usually in the shoe dept on an endcap. It should be with the shoe polish/laces, inserts, etc. It's in an aerosol can. I always spray it outside b/c it is sooo fumey!

TamiRuns
10-28-2010, 06:56 AM
Usually in the shoe dept on an endcap. It should be with the shoe polish/laces, inserts, etc. It's in an aerosol can. I always spray it outside b/c it is sooo fumey!

Thanks...I'll check on my next trip.