PDA

View Full Version : Fever only at night?

wendibird22
10-27-2010, 08:26 AM
I know that the body temperature rises throughout the day and that can make a fever more pronounced at night, but have your DCs ever had a fever that is only apparent at night but completely normal temp morning and day? DD2 who is 10mos has had a fever the past two nights. I'll notice it when I check on her when I go to bed. One night it was 101.5 and last night 102.9. But she had a normal temp the entire day yesterday and woke up this morning at 98.6.

Could teething or an ear infection cause this? We think she's working on her 1yr molars (has all of her other teeth already) and she's had a runny nose on/off for the past week or so so I guess an EI is possible. She's fine otherwise.

bubbaray
10-27-2010, 08:41 AM
From CNN http://articles.cnn.com/2008-12-17/health/parenting.kids.sick.night_1_breathing-asthma-cough?_s=PM:HEALTH
Fever

Why it's worse at night: Body temperature rises naturally in the evening, so a fever that was slight during the day can easily spike during sleep.
What to do: First, take your child's temperature (do it rectally if she's under 6 months old -- and, ideally, for as long as she'll allow this method). Any fever above 100.4°F in an infant under 3 months warrants an immediate call to the doctor. Same goes for an elevated temp in any child that's accompanied by lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, stiff neck, or an unusual rash. Parenting.com: Feverish kid? Find out if she should see a doctor

Otherwise, try a dose of acetaminophen, wait half an hour, and check the temperature again, says Leeds. "If it hasn't begun to come down and she's older than a year, give your child some ibuprofen, too," she adds. "You can use these medications together, separated by half an hour. Just remember that acetaminophen can be given every four hours, and ibuprofen can be given every six to eight hours." (Write down the time of each dose to help you keep track.) In the meantime -- and if you're not too delirious -- you can give your child a room-temperature bath to help cool her down. And definitely help her stay hydrated by offering some water (or formula or breast milk if she's a baby) before she goes back to sleep. Call the doctor in the morning to check in; she may want you to bring your child in.