PDA

View Full Version : All over itchiness with no rash?

luckytwenty
10-27-2010, 08:31 AM
I itch everywhere!!! There's no visible rash anywhere on my skin. DH actually is an allergist and looked me over and saw nothing, and I haven't eaten anything unusual lately or used new products--he said it's probably hormonal and gave me Claritin (OK for pregnancy). I'd say the Claritin helped somewhat but not completely.

I never had this pregnancy symptom before--anyone else get it? It's worse on my face, hands, feet and earlobes.

5 more days....5 more days.....

o_mom
10-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Call your OB. It is most likely nothing, but a friend had a rare pregnancy complication that the main symptom was all-over itching (ETA: everything turned out fine for her and the baby).

hbridge
10-27-2010, 09:21 AM
I had itching for my ENTIRE pregnancy! They never diagnosed anything. Thankfully Benedryl is safe to take for pregnancy.

Definitely call your OB to check it out though. Good luck.

tabegle
10-27-2010, 10:07 AM
Try googling PUPPS and pregnancy. I had that at the end of my 2nd pregnancy. I don't think your symptoms quite match up with PUPPS, but it might be a starting place.

luckytwenty
10-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Try googling PUPPS and pregnancy. I had that at the end of my 2nd pregnancy. I don't think your symptoms quite match up with PUPPS, but it might be a starting place.

Thanks--if I do get a rash, perhaps that's what it is. It sounds like it's harmless. I'll see if it is still a problem tomorrow. I only have a few days left, so I guess I can deal with it. I seriously think that between my three pregnancies, I've now experienced every annoying but fortunately not serious condition listed in "What To Expect...."

o_mom
10-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks--if I do get a rash, perhaps that's what it is. It sounds like it's harmless. I'll see if it is still a problem tomorrow. I only have a few days left, so I guess I can deal with it. I seriously think that between my three pregnancies, I've now experienced every annoying but fortunately not serious condition listed in "What To Expect...."

I would really call today. The friend I mentioned had cholestastis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrahepatic_cholestasis_of_pregnancy), which typically presents without rash and is more serious. It really is probably nothing, but I would err on the side of caution here.

7pages
10-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Could it be Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy, also known as Obstetric Cholestasis? I had that but it started much earlier in the pregnancies (I had this for 3 of my 5 pregnancies) and was just miserable with the itching. As soon as the baby was delivered, I was all better. They say there is an increased risk of stillborn, but my babies were all thankfully born healthy. Don't want to scare you, just thought I'd warn you of that before you look it up. There is a blood test that helps diagnose and there is also a great website that has info to help diagnose:
www.itchymoms.com
Good luck and PM me if you need more info!
Lori

Tanya
10-27-2010, 10:56 AM
ME ME ME ME ME ME!

I've had this itchiness for weeks. It's horrible. I asked one of the OBs about it right after it started (I think I was about 32.5 weeks) and he said I didn't have a rash (duh!) and I wasn't yellow. He did say that sometimes the itchiness starts before the rash, but I still have not gotten a rash (I'll be 36 weeks tomorrow). He said I could take benadryl, but I always try to avoid taking anything while pregnant, so I haven't broken down yet....but I'm really starting to lose my mind.

I scratch so much even in my sleep that I wake up with dried blood on my shirt. Last night it was the bottoms of my feet, the palms of my hands, my scalp, and the bottoms of my arms. Oh, and my chest based on the bloody shirt. My face usually isn't too bad.

I'm pregnant with twins and I have a lot of discomforts, but the itching tops the list.

I have another appointment on Friday, so I think I'll ask the other OB about it.

Good luck! It really is absolutely horrible. I also seem to be getting all the discomforts (no serious complications) this time around.

7pages
10-27-2010, 11:05 AM
re: Tanya ME ME ME ME ME ME!

I was never yellow either, the whites of my eyes were not yellow, no rash, but the itching was insane. I couldn't sleep at all and I got to the point I would just cry. What else can you do? Unfortunately most OBs seem to know little about this!
Scratching doesn't help. Benadryl or other antihistamines will not help (if you have cholestasis like I did). There are some prescription medications that helped a smidge, but I basically just suffered. Also, hot baths and showers make it feel worse. I did like a lotion that had a strong menthal component to it, because it distracted me from the itch.
I am glad you are near the end...hang in there!

lhafer
10-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Call your OB!! Just to make sure. Like PP have said, that's a symptom of choleostasis. http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/cholestasispregnancy.html

tabegle
10-27-2010, 11:46 AM
My ob told me to get a can of this (http://www.dermoplast.com/faq.htm) and just spray it on. It worked okay. DH liked it for mosquito bite relief.

I hope it's not cholestasis for any of you women!

MacMacMoo
10-27-2010, 11:54 AM
you sound like you are at the tail end of the pregnancy, for me the itchy was at the beginning. I apparently sprout tiny little hairs like peach fuzz all over. especially on my belly and back.

KpbS
10-27-2010, 11:56 AM
I would really call today. The friend I mentioned had cholestastis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrahepatic_cholestasis_of_pregnancy), which typically presents without rash and is more serious. It really is probably nothing, but I would err on the side of caution here.

:yeahthat: It can be very serious.

luckytwenty
10-27-2010, 12:49 PM
It's certainly not so bad that it's causing me to bleed (or cry!) and it's only been an issue for a day (hasn't affected my sleep)--and the Claritin helped a bit. I only have five days left till I deliver, baby is healthy and active (just had a check up yesterday)...if it gets AWFUL I will call, but I think I'm fine. Thanks for the concern, though!!!

Tanya
10-27-2010, 02:00 PM
re: Tanya ME ME ME ME ME ME!

I was never yellow either, the whites of my eyes were not yellow, no rash, but the itching was insane. I couldn't sleep at all and I got to the point I would just cry. What else can you do? Unfortunately most OBs seem to know little about this!
Scratching doesn't help. Benadryl or other antihistamines will not help (if you have cholestasis like I did). There are some prescription medications that helped a smidge, but I basically just suffered. Also, hot baths and showers make it feel worse. I did like a lotion that had a strong menthal component to it, because it distracted me from the itch.
I am glad you are near the end...hang in there!

Thanks. I'll definitely ask again when I'm there on Friday.
And now I won't bother exposing my babies to Benadryl since it didn't seem to help you anyway.
No, the scratching doesn't make it stop itching, but it feels nearly orgasmic! Ha ha!

Lori, did you have the blood tests to diagnose? Did they monitor you more closely? Were you induced early because of it?
The OB wanted me to make it to 36 weeks, so I'm there, but he won't let me go past 38 weeks. No more than 2 weeks to go probably. I go in twice a week. Once for ultrasound and once for NST (although this week was two NST due to u/s tech being gone). Obviously, I don't want to take any chances with my babies, but I'd like to put a little more weight on them if I can make it.

One of the things that bothers me the most is that stupid little tag they put on the left side of shirts. It's like a trigger and before long, my entire body is itching. And bras. And I can't wear pants with a panel...and I'm huge with twins, so my belly starts way down low and my pants and undies fold over which also is an itchy itchy place.

JenaW
10-27-2010, 04:26 PM
OMG ME !!! I am 20 weeks and ITCH like crazy ALL OVER! I also have drawn blood from scratching so much. I did not even THINK of cholestasis...GRR...and I am an OBGYN PA. At first I thought it could be PUPPS but that has a classic rash and I have NO visible evidence, other than AFTER I scratch and cause excoriations. Then I thought it was just dry skin as I have been swimming a lot and it is getting colder here. But slathering lotion all over my body has been NO help. Mine is all over too, but it seems worse on my hips, my shins, my outer thighs, and occasionally under my bra strap and my belly. I just went to my OB today, but after waiting 50 minutes in the waiting room, then finally getting into the room, I was told he was just called down to L&D and it was looking like they were headed to the OR so he wasn't expected back soon. I saw the NP and had a few other issues to discuss plus I was in a hurry too so I totally forgot about the itching. Did the claritin help at all?? I can't use benadryl because I am either at work or home with my other 5 kids and the benadryl totally knocks me out. Though maybe I will try it at night since I am often up scratching for hours.

J

luckytwenty
10-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Did the claritin help at all?? I can't use benadryl because I am either at work or home with my other 5 kids and the benadryl totally knocks me out. Though maybe I will try it at night since I am often up scratching for hours.

J

Claritin worked somewhat for me--not total relief, but much better than without it. So did plain old cortisone cream.

I think one of the symptoms of the more serious illnesses was not responding to anti-itch remedies, which is one reason I'm not that worried about it. Claritin also helped me with basic stretch mark itchiness, amazingly enough.

AJP
10-27-2010, 08:10 PM
"No, the scratching doesn't make it stop itching, but it feels nearly orgasmic! Ha ha!"
This is exactly how I described my relief with my pg rash/itchiness! I had a nice prickly (sharp) brush and I went to town...totally freaked out my DH. I was never diagnosed with any official PUPPS etc. Nothing I put on my skin helped and I only used Benadryl the last few nights before I delivered. It made me miserable!!!!
I hope you can find something to help and that is just pg related rash and nothing more!

WolfpackMom
10-27-2010, 08:31 PM
Since your're near the end and everything checked out at your appt just yesterday, I bet its hormonal and you are turning a corner toward delivery! I had the same thing around 25 weeks due to a hormonal upswing, not so bad I was making myself bleed, nor was there a PUPPs rash but definitely enough to make me annoyed and it was chalked up to hormones.

7pages
10-28-2010, 01:52 PM
@Tanya:
Try the bendadryl, especially at bedtime, so you won't be too tired. If it works, then it is definately not cholestasis. Cholestasis will not be relieved by antihistamines or lotions or anything! And if it works, and your OB said it is ok, I wouldn't be afraid to take it. If you can get some rest, it would be worth it!

I did have the tests done. For my first two, the test showed the cholestasis. For my last pregnancy, I had the test done the minute I started itching and it didn't show up. But I knew I had it, maybe just tested too early. I did try some prescription medications that are supposed to lower the bile acids but they didn't help much.

I did get monitored more closely, with weekly NST. I also did get induced 2 weeks early with all of them. I have big babies, they were 8 1/2 lbs. plus at 2 weeks early so I had that on my side as well.

And I know what you mean about the tags. Everything made me crabby! I would wear my husbands cotton knit boxer briefs and his tshirts to bed. They were tagless and soft!

Good luck to you! :hug:

mm123
10-28-2010, 04:32 PM
I was also diagnosed with Cholastasis at about 36 weeks. Definately get that checked out. A blood test confirmed it. Because of the risks (they are slight), I was induced at 38 weeks.

I feel your pain (or, your itch in this case!). It was worse on my hands and feet, and got worse at night. One thing that helped a bit was sitting with my feet and hands in bowls of ice cubes. I don't know if it was the distraction or the numbing, but it did help a bit.

BabyMine
10-28-2010, 06:58 PM
I had phantom itching with my last pregnancy. Not fun at all. It only lasted about a week though. I would take oatmeal bathes and that barely touched it.

Tanya
10-28-2010, 08:55 PM
@Tanya:
Try the bendadryl, especially at bedtime, so you won't be too tired. If it works, then it is definately not cholestasis. Cholestasis will not be relieved by antihistamines or lotions or anything! And if it works, and your OB said it is ok, I wouldn't be afraid to take it. If you can get some rest, it would be worth it!

I had a major meltdown last night. I was exhausted and couldn't sleep and the itching was horrible. Dh ran out at midnight to buy benadryl. While he was gone, I sat with my feet in cold bathwater and that actually helped with my feet. I can't imagine putting my entire body into that cold of water though. Anyway, the benadryl didn't even touch any of the itchiness. It must have helped me sleep though because I slept from 2-5am.
Dh also rubbed caladryl all over my feet and it didn't help.

kam
10-29-2010, 09:25 AM
Tanya,

This is sounding more and more like choleastis. PLEASE go see your OB. It can raise certain risks. ANd if it's not, then you've only wasted a visit!

Indianamom2
10-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Tanya,

This is sounding more and more like choleastis. PLEASE go see your OB. It can raise certain risks. ANd if it's not, then you've only wasted a visit!

:yeahthat: It's not worth the risk to you and your baby to play around. Go see your OB.

Tanya
10-29-2010, 05:34 PM
I saw my OB this morning. I explained that I've had the itching for going on 4 weeks and it's gotten worse this week and it's everywhere (including the bottoms of my feet, for example) and it's worse in the evenings and at night. Benadryl has no effect on the itching (which is what the other OB had suggested nearly 4 weeks ago when I brought it up).

He said it probably has something to do with my cholesterol levels being out of whack and my gallbladder. He gave me a prescription for the itching which also causes drowsiness.

luckytwenty
10-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Tanya, choleastis IS a gallbladder issue. I hope you can resolve it!

FWIW, my itchiness went away and was replaced with awful heartburn. I am just rotating through various pregnancy discomforts my last few days. Every day, I swear it's something new.

I hope you guys are all doing well and that it's not serious.

kam
11-01-2010, 09:21 AM
I hope the prescription helps! My heartburn has now been replaced with hemmorhoids. Ack.

7pages
11-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Tanya,
I've been away for a few days but just wanted to send PPT your way. I'm sorry you are miserable. Praying you are getting better and your healthy babies arrive soon!
Lori

Tanya
11-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Thanks. I had bloodwork today (liver panel and CBC). The results should be back tomorrow when I go back for my ultrasound.

The prescription he gave me on Friday was for an antihistimine which obviously didn't work. I had to call the emergency number over the weekend and they just said there was nothing else they could prescribe. I was so upset at the thought of even facing just one more night! Anyway, at least I got in for bloodwork today.

I got a whopping 1.5 hours of sleep last night. I know I"m not going to sleep anytime soon tonight. I'm sooooo tired though.

7pages
11-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Tanya,
The medication I took was called Ursodeoxycholic Acid (UDCA), also known by brand name Actigall or generic name Ursodiol. I'm not sure it helped but you could check it out. Did you go to
www.itchymoms.com
yet? You should check it out so you can be armed with better information and questions going into your appointment. Also, the last few weeks, the OB prescribed Ambien CR for me to help me sleep. It enabled me to fall asleep and sleep for a few hours. Once I woke up itching, I was up for the night, but a few hours sleep is better than none!
Good luck!
Lori

Tanya
11-02-2010, 09:56 PM
And yet another update from itchy me.

My liver function results were high, but the bili. was normal. The OB seems to think it's my gall bladder and it will either be better after giving birth or I'll need to have my gallbladder removed afterwards. He said if my blood pressure was high (it's not) or I had protein in my urine (nope), then he would have sent me straight to the hospital for pre-eclampsia. He also hasn't ruled out PUPP, but my symptoms are atypical.
So, he prescribed a steroid....and it's not working so far.
He also repeated the bloodwork today.

I was feeling better about things, but since the steroids don't seem to be helping yet tonight, I'm starting to have doubts again.

JenaW
11-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Did they check your BILIrubin or bile acid salts. It's the later that is more specific for cholestasis. Please read the site linked above by a previous poster. It IS usually self-limited and often will resolve completely without intervention after delivery but there can be (often devastating) consequences for the baby, including a much higher incidence of meconium and even still birth. Many articles advocate very close fetal monitoring and early delivery. I'll see if I can find a peer-reviewed article for you to take to your OB as many seem uneducated about this

Tanya
11-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks Jena. I've been to itchymoms and printed out some info to take with me on Friday.

He never mentioned bile acid salts, but did say my bilirubin level was normal. It's other levels that are high.

I still have itching, but I was able to sleep last night. It seems unlikely that I'd suddenly be able to sleep with the severe itching, so maybe it was less intense last night? So, maybe the steroids are helping some...or I was just so exhausted from a week of getting little to no sleep that it just caught up to me. I still woke up to itching, but was able to go back to sleep after a bit.

At this point, I probably only have about a week before the OB will insist on inducing (he said he wouldn't let me go past 38 weeks and I'm 36 weeks 6 days today).
Babies are doing fine (had ultrasound yesterday).

Tanya
11-03-2010, 02:42 PM
A change to my update...

bloodtest results from yesterday came back and my bilirubin is now elevated and he's diagnosed me with cholestasis and I'm being induced tonight.

Thanks to the PP for starting this thread and all the others that responded. It helped push me to push the doctors a bit more instead of just suffering through this insane itching.

Tanya

7pages
11-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Good luck with your delivery Tanya! PPT to you and your babies! And you will be soooooo amazed how that itching just disappears after delivery. Crazy how pregnancy affects us in so many crazy ways!
Lori

kam
11-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Good luck tonight!!! And congrats (in advance) on your new, adorable babies! Post when you can. :-)