PDA

View Full Version : Ice Skate Recommendations?

WitMom
10-27-2010, 09:43 AM
We just moved into a house with a small pond in the common area behind the houses. We're told the homeowner's association keeps the ice cleared in the winter for ice skating. Does anyone have any recommendations for ice skates for 6 yo DD? I don't want to spend a ton as she will likely outgrow them quickly, and for the amount I anticipate we'll use them, we don't need top-of-the-line.

mikeys_mom
10-27-2010, 03:16 PM
I would buy them used if you can. I'm not sure if Play it Again Sports exists in the US, but the ones around here are great. At that age, the kids wear them for such a short time that the used ones are typically in great condition. We have always bought them used, other than one year when they did not have the size we needed.

I'm not sure if you are planning to get hockey skates or figure skates, but I would stay away from the ones with the moulded plastic shells or the ones that can expand to fit multiple sizes. We tried them once and had a bad experience. DS complained bitterly about them not being comfortable. Several of my friends have had a similar experience with the moulded plastic ones.

HTH.

WitMom
10-27-2010, 09:54 PM
We do have Play It Again Sports. Thanks for that suggestion...it's not something I would have thought of otherwise. And I'm glad to know that the Expand-A-Size isn't a good option. I was considering those, but I'll avoid them now.

mom2binsd
10-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Like PP said, don't get the molded ones, even if your DD likes the pink and white ones at the sports stores. In your neck of the woods there should be lots of used leather figure skates, they will know how to fit her as well at Play it Again.

Avoid hockey skates, it's much easier to learn to skate on figure skate blades too. They will probably sharpen them as well when you buy them. Depending on you level of comfort I'd also have her wear her bike helmet while skating, all of the learn to skate programs suggest it.

WitMom
10-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Good suggestion on the helmet!

Does anyone have an opinion on one blade vs double blade skates?

mikeys_mom
10-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Yes, 100% have her wear a helmet. Here they are mandatory, even for free skate time at the public rinks, so I always assume everyone wears them. If you do decide to buy a skating helmet, they last several years until they are outgrown.

I'm not sure what the double blade skates are. If you mean something like these;
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/KidsSports/KidsSkating/PRDOVR~0833001P/Bob%252BSkates.jsp?locale=en

I would skip them for that age. We only used those for DS when he was first learning to skate at 15 months old (we start them early here :)). When DD1 started at 20 months old, the rink didn't allow them and she went straight to a regular hockey skate. We had to hold her a bit more, but she picked it up pretty quickly.