PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever pull a rib muscle from coughing?

twowhat?
10-27-2010, 12:01 PM
I pulled it 3 weeks ago from violent coughing.

How long is this thing going to take to heal?? I can't take a deep breath, cough, sneeze, laugh, or roll over in bed without pain. It sucks!

sariana
10-27-2010, 12:03 PM
I have heard of people BREAKING ribs from violent coughing. Have you seen a doctor?

Tondi G
10-27-2010, 12:05 PM
I did that when I was pregnant with DS2. Right around Christmas. It was awful. It took a while to heal. It does suck. Hope you feel better soon.... tylenol or motrin should help.

jess_g
10-27-2010, 12:08 PM
I am sure I have done this before but it has stopped hurting in a day or two. If its been hutting you for a while I would go into the doctors office and get a chest xray just to be sure its not broken or fractured. Hope your better soon. -Jessica.

baymom
10-27-2010, 12:11 PM
I've done this many times....it hurts so much! Hope you start to feel better soon. I just took advil for a few days and the pain really got better. Once, it took about 2 weeks to get better, but I was pretty sure it wasn't a rib fracture because there was no swelling. Wouldn't hurt to see your doctor, if it really concerns you.

longtallsally05
10-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Sounds like it might be pleurisy, except for the pain when rolling over part. See your doc!

mikeys_mom
10-27-2010, 12:30 PM
I did this while I was pregnant with the twins. It was horribly painful and uncomfortable. I was convinced there was something wrong with me and went to 3 different Dr's. Everyone told me the same thing - that I pulled a muscle and that it would take a while to heal. I think it took almost a month to fully heal.
Hope you feel better soon.

peanut520
10-27-2010, 12:34 PM
i did it last year and it was so painful. it hurt for longer than i had the cough and that was 3 months!

boogiemomz
10-27-2010, 12:52 PM
I recently had either pleurisy or inflammation/strain of the intercostal muscles (between ribs) from many weeks of chronic, violent coughing. It hurts like crazy!! You could see a doc, but probably they would just tell you to take ibuprofin for the anti-inflammatory effects. My dad and DH are both MDs and they agreed that if you take ibuprofin regularly it will help calm the inflammation down and get better faster. Are you still coughing?

HIU8
10-27-2010, 01:21 PM
My sister had bronchitis as a kid and once coughed so violently that she tore muscles. I remember something about her rib cage actually separating. Needless to say she was taken to the doctor and it took a really long time to heal.

ThreeofUs
10-27-2010, 02:02 PM
OUCH! I've done it and know people who have really ripped themselves up that way. So sorry you're going through it.

The only thing you can do is take ibuprofen and take it easy on yourself. Unless you have a break needing straightening/pins, a doctor isn't going to much besides commiserate with you.

Which you can get here, in spades. Ouchouch ouchouch ouch! :hug:

KpbS
10-27-2010, 02:05 PM
I did that when I was pregnant with DS2. Right around Christmas. It was awful. It took a while to heal. It does suck. Hope you feel better soon.... tylenol or motrin should help.

This exactly--except it was post-Christmas. It took a long time to heal. I got bronchitis in my third trimester (twice) and it just kept hanging on. Call your doc.

twowhat?
10-27-2010, 02:22 PM
That's what I was afraid of:( I did leave a message with my doc and he said exactly what I expected - heat, NSAIDs, rest. The bronchitis resolved with antibiotics just a couple of days after I pulled the muscle (too bad!). After a couple weeks it seemed to be a little better - and then I choked on my water and made it worse again. Nice. And then yesterday my girls were just cracking me up (no pun intended) and that most definitely didn't help. Good point on making sure I take the NSAIDs regularly - reducing the inflammation most definitely will (in theory) help speed healing.

Thanks everyone! :)

ThreeofUs
10-27-2010, 02:46 PM
That's what I was afraid of:( I did leave a message with my doc and he said exactly what I expected - heat, NSAIDs, rest. The bronchitis resolved with antibiotics just a couple of days after I pulled the muscle (too bad!). After a couple weeks it seemed to be a little better - and then I choked on my water and made it worse again. Nice. And then yesterday my girls were just cracking me up (no pun intended) and that most definitely didn't help. Good point on making sure I take the NSAIDs regularly - reducing the inflammation most definitely will (in theory) help speed healing.

Thanks everyone! :)

Well, hope you start feeling better soon. I used to lay on my back (verrryy carefully!) to ease the pain. That's hard with little ones running around, but if you can, get rest.

twowhat?
10-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Well, hope you start feeling better soon. I used to lay on my back (verrryy carefully!) to ease the pain. That's hard with little ones running around, but if you can, get rest.

Thank you:) I will try, but tonight definitely didn't help. 30-minute tantrums, plus lifting toddlers in and out of car seats, in and out of baths, in and out of cribs, etc...

My doc called me back to tell me to take ibuprofen, 800mg 3 times a day, for a week. Going to go get something to eat so I can take my massive NSAID dose now, and then hot shower:)