PDA

View Full Version : Safety First Avenue - good price? will it work?

Andi98989
10-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Found a Safety 1st Avenue on Overstock for $68 (http://www.overstock.com/Baby/Safety-1st-Avenue-Convertible-Geo-Squares-Car-Seat/3864898/product.html). Thinking about picking it up for my mom to use. DS is within millimeters of outgrowing his RA in her vehicle - 2004 Chevy S-10 - no LATCH - installed behind driver's seat.

DS turned 1 last week; he is 24 lbs. and probably about 32" (gets measured next week). Will this last him RF for a while? He has consistently been 95th percentile for height; weight is usually around 50th.

He has a RN XTSL in both my car and DH's, but it won't fit in my mom's truck (too long/tall).

Contemplating ordering it from Diapers just to see if it fits and then I can return it and buy it from Overstock. My parents have some sort of Overstock membership, so I think they get another 5% off.

westgre
10-28-2010, 03:51 PM
The Avenue RF's to 35 pounds. The top harness height is around 16.5", about 1" below the Radian. Another option is a Scenera, which will RF to 40 pounds, but the harness height is only 14.75."
I haven't tried the Avenue, but the Scenera was a pain to install RF.

christiedavid3
10-29-2010, 11:08 AM
We have the Safety 1st Uptown, which is the precursor to the Avenue. I think it's a great seat for the money, and should last you a while. DS is 3 yrs 2 mos and uses it FFing now in grandpa's car, and we use it for travel since it's so light.

He's just now 35lbs, so he outgrew it RFing at over 3 years old. He happily rode RFing in that seat for a 2,000 mile road trip this past August. He still has plenty of room height-wise in it both RFing and FFing.

It's not as easy to install as say, a Britax seat, but it's not at all difficult either. If you end up getting the Avenue, post back and we can give you a few tips for getting a great install!