PDA

View Full Version : Any snowshoers?

JenaW
10-27-2010, 04:20 PM
DH got me some snow shoes last year for Christmas and I am super excited to use them this year (assuming my OB approves. Obviously I can't down hill ski but is there any reason I can't cross country ski or snow shoe if I am 26+ weeks pregnant)?

Anyways...if you have snowshoed before, what boots do you use? I do have a nice pair of waterproof hiking "shoes" but they are low topped so if there is significant snow, my ankles would get soaked. Also, what do you usually wear on your body? My "snowpants" and winter jacket that I use for sledding and snow play with the kids are very big and bulky and I'm worried that it will be too heavy and make me sweaty to snow shoe. I've seen a few things in the Athleta catalog that are worn on the models who are snow shoeing, but I am wondering if they are warm ENOUGH??

J

Snow mom
10-27-2010, 05:26 PM
The answers to most of your questions depend on whether you are snowshoeing on packed trails (easier) or "off roading" through loose powder. I used to live somewhere that the community maintained x-country and snowshoe trails. For that I would just wear snowshoes with hiking boots and thick socks and maybe gaiters to keep the snow from getting inside my boots. Pants I would wear jeans (disadvantage is if they get wet for some reason cotton isn't ideal) or rain/snow pants. For tromping through deep powder there is a greater chance of snow getting into your boots or onto your clothes. Then you'll definitely want good gaiters to keep the snow out of your boots and a waterproof layer over your pants to keep them dry. Rather than wearing insulated snow pants I prefer thinner waterproof pants with a layer of thick long underwear below. Snowshoeing, especially through non-compacted snow is a good workout so layers that can be removed as you get warm and added when you stop and get cold are a good idea.

SkyrMommy
10-27-2010, 05:56 PM
I both snowshoed & XC skied right up 'til 36 weeks (Dr. ok'd)... then I felt just to bulky & the snow was marginal anyways. I wore my Goretex winter hikers (Solomon) with gators to keep the snow from coming over the top of my boots. And I found that my body temperature was wicked unreliable as in too hot to too cold very quickly so I wore lots of top layers with wicking fabric and fleece that I could take on and off as I wanted, pants were just my ski long underwear with a waterproof, lightweight and waterproof shell pant over top, feet I wore my long ski socks that pull up to my knees for a bit extra on the bottom. Athleta is decent things as is Title Nine, EMS and REI.

Warm enough while skiing & snowshoeing was never the problem, it was the stopping for a break or having lunch somewhere that I cooled down quickly. That was my biggest concern, and since your heart is already working for two, you need to go at a much more reasonable pace and keep it steady... I made the mistake a time or two of moving too fast and it made me a bit dizzy.

zoestargrove
10-27-2010, 06:15 PM
I was able to snowshoe when I was pregnant in my 2nd trimester. I'm sure I could have done it longer if the snow held out. I wear waterproof hiking boots. They are low, but come up over my ankles. I have a pair of snowpants that are not insulated and they are usually what I wear, but when I was preggers, I think I just wore black yoga style pants which was all that fit me.

It's a great workout!

StantonHyde
10-27-2010, 10:04 PM
For cross country skiing, I wear the same stuff I wear in the winter when I run. So light fleece-lined running pants, a synthetic long sleeved shirt, a fleece (or vest), my goretex rain jacket/shell, light weight gloves, and maybe a fleece head band/ear warmer.

For snow shoeing, I wear my Coumbia bug a boots--they keep my feet warm and dry. I agree that deep snow would require gators. And then the same stuff as for skiing, but maybe a little heavier layers. I get colder snow shoeing than I do skiing.

I know plenty of people who skiied and snowshoed while pg. I didn't ski--my balance was really off and I didn't trust myself not to fall. Snow shoeing was the only way to walk the dog!!

Remember to drink plenty of water.

trales
10-27-2010, 10:20 PM
I was x country skiing and snowshoeing at 38 weeks, then the snow melted. I wear nice leather hiking boots with gators for snow shoeing.

MontrealMum
10-27-2010, 11:02 PM
I don't snowshoe, but I XC skiied until my 6th month - when the snow melted :D It will throw your balance off, but I learned to compensate, also, I stayed on mostly flat trails as my doc felt that the danger wasn't in the exercise itself for someone like me who normally does activities like that, but in falling.

DrSally
10-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Good tips. I would love to do some snowshoeing or X-country skiing this year.