PDA

View Full Version : USAA car buying service

willow33
10-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Has anyone here used this service to purchase a new vehicle? Seems easy and the price looks great!

Thanks!

sariana
10-27-2010, 09:10 PM
No, but we're thinking about it. I think it's a pretty new service, so I don't know how likely it is that anyone here has used it yet.

poppy
10-27-2010, 09:13 PM
My DH used it and it saved us a lot of money.

OKKiddo
10-27-2010, 09:38 PM
We used them for buying our Odyssey, saved us $4,000!!

Oh, and we liked that service so much that we went on to use their Mover's Advantage program...it gave us an agent that wasn't allowed to go over a certain percentage rate for her commission, and after the house sold we got a check in the mail for almost $1,000!

We have everything with USAA but life insurance, and we're thinking about switching to them for that.

OKKiddo
10-27-2010, 09:40 PM
No, but we're thinking about it. I think it's a pretty new service, so I don't know how likely it is that anyone here has used it yet.

I don't think it's all that new...it was an option that we were offered by our representative when we called to see what interest rates we could get for a Jeep Wrangler back in 2002. Unfortunately, we weren't able to use the service back then because we'd already started negotiations with the dealership and you have to contact USAA before you do that.

C99
10-27-2010, 10:29 PM
We didn't because the Costco rates were better.

sariana
10-28-2010, 01:28 AM
I don't think it's all that new...it was an option that we were offered by our representative when we called to see what interest rates we could get for a Jeep Wrangler back in 2002. Unfortunately, we weren't able to use the service back then because we'd already started negotiations with the dealership and you have to contact USAA before you do that.

Maybe it's just the part about putting the prices right on the web site that's new??

It's good to know that people have had good experiences. We will need a new car as soon as DH returns from deployment next month. We can't have only one vehicle.

sariana
10-28-2010, 01:30 AM
We have everything with USAA but life insurance, and we're thinking about switching to them for that.

We wanted to get life insurance through them before DH deployed, but they were REALLY picky. DH has a very low heart rate and always has an abnormal EKG. Even though every doctor he has seen says it's because he runs and that he is in excellent shape, USAA wanted to charge us more for coverage. So we went with a different company. (There aren't many companies that cover "acts of war," so our options were limited.)

MamaMolly
10-28-2010, 09:37 AM
We did for our 2009 Pilot and were very happy. It gave us a choice of 4 dealerships within a certain driving distance, with the agreed on prices at each one. We chose to drive an hour to save an extra $4,000.

jellibeans
10-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Yep, we got a great deal using USAA!

minnie-zb
10-28-2010, 03:36 PM
It is not new, it's been around for years. We've used it two times and both times were easy.

We used it last year and I love the fact you can do all of your research online and don't have to leave the house. Familiarize yourself with the program and understand what is covered and what is not. Some of the dealerships we worked with last year did not understand the program and tried to add additional charges to the quoted price (which is *not* allowed). The price you receive when you look online, is the price you should be paying. If at anytime you have problems you should contact USAA. I did and they went back to the dealers and explained how the program works. The dealerships were supposed to contact us after USAA called them. One of them did, the other did not.

It saved us a lot of money.

MamaSnoo
10-28-2010, 04:07 PM
When I looked into it for the specific vehicle I was buying, the prices were not better than what the dealer had, and the choices were very limited for colors and options. So, we did not do it, but if they have what you want...I say, why not?

amldaley
10-29-2010, 10:05 PM
I did all our research and pricing on USAA in May to buy a Ford Fusion Hybrid. Then we found a dealership willing to match it even though they weren't in the program, but in the end I wound up buying a car with 2600 miles on it. Still used the USAA price certificate to bargain with though!

For many vehicles, Overstock.com had the same price. The difference was that USAA had many more choices available than O.