PDA

View Full Version : Duplo or regular Lego bricks?

tlw
10-27-2010, 10:06 PM
DS will be 5 in December. He has a basic set of Duplo that he likes, but I'm wondering if I should move him up to the regular Legos, or buy more Duplos?

babyready
10-27-2010, 10:19 PM
DS will be 5 in December. He has a basic set of Duplo that he likes, but I'm wondering if I should move him up to the regular Legos, or buy more Duplos?

My dd turned 5 just before Christmas last year and she got some of the "younger" lego sets. They were a huge hit and she did a great job with them! There was no turning back!

ett
10-27-2010, 11:50 PM
I'd do regular legos at age 5.

connor_mommy
10-28-2010, 12:26 AM
I would do regular Legos. But my boys, ages 6.5 and 4.5 still play with their Duplos everyday. It takes fewer pieces to make large blasters.

Seitvonzu
10-28-2010, 07:37 AM
my nephew is into REGULAR legos all the way at 4.75 years old. he's been this way for a while now actually...all this year. i think he's an anomaly, but i think duplos say 2-5 on the box, and i'd think a 5 year old would be able to see the age range and think duplos were "babyish." maybe that's just me?

wimama
10-28-2010, 03:41 PM
We bought our DS his first set of Legos at about age 4. I felt they would have more longevity and he really wanted the Toys Story Legos, so he got his first Legos for his 4th birthday.

katydid1971
10-28-2010, 06:00 PM
My 5 year old doesn't want anything to do with the Duplos because they are "for babies" He's a Lego fiend!

Canna
10-28-2010, 06:20 PM
My 5.5 year-old still plays with our Duplos quite a bit. We have a large amount of them including train pieces, train tracks, dinosaurs, trees, vines, flowers, a lot of animals and people. The trains, people and animals get the most play. I honestly don't get the argument that Duplos are babyish - I still enjoy playing with them myself helping the kids build zoos, large buildings, shopping centers, etc. And when older kids in elementary school have come over to play they have often played happliy and creatively with the Duplos. I think Duplos are appropriate for younger kids because they are less chokable and easier to manipulate and build with, but that their appeal needn't be limited to the very young. In fact, I think kids younger than about 3 woudn't be able to use Duplos to full advantage.

DD has some regular smaller Legos too and likes them okay. She enjoys following the little diagrams that came with the sets and is perfectly able to play with them, and does.

If your child is 5, you don't have or expect younger siblings it might make more sense to just get regular Legos - one big advantage is they take up way less space! :)