PDA

View Full Version : Can you freeze sugar cookie DOUGH?

bubbaray
10-28-2010, 08:19 PM
I am making these:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=311156&highlight=sugar+cookie

I was wondering if I could freeze part of the dough and only bake half the batch?

TIA

nrp
10-28-2010, 08:27 PM
I freeze cookie dough all the time, but usually I portion it out for individual cookies, then flash freeze on a cookie sheet and when frozen throw them in a freezer bag. It works best to let them at least partially thaw before baking but I've baked totally frozen dough before and they were still good!

WolfpackMom
10-28-2010, 08:39 PM
My mom always rolls it up (looks like the refrig type you buy), wraps in foil, then wraps in plastic and freezes that way.

SnuggleBuggles
10-28-2010, 08:41 PM
I freeze cookie dough all the time, but usually I portion it out for individual cookies, then flash freeze on a cookie sheet and when frozen throw them in a freezer bag. It works best to let them at least partially thaw before baking but I've baked totally frozen dough before and they were still good!

:yeahthat:

I have also rolled it into a log before to have slice and bake things ready.

bubbaray
10-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Thanks -- I don't want to pre-make the shapes because I want to make shapes as I need them. For example, I need 2 pumpkin cookies for tomorrow. I don't want to make all the rest Christmas ones, because I might want hearts for Valentines, KWIM?

kristenk
10-28-2010, 09:40 PM
I'd probably freeze it in balls of dough big enough to make about 4-6 cookies. When you need to make cookies, let one dough ball thaw and then roll out and cut the shapes you need.

MommyAllison
10-28-2010, 10:14 PM
I'd probably freeze it in balls of dough big enough to make about 4-6 cookies. When you need to make cookies, let one dough ball thaw and then roll out and cut the shapes you need.

I agree. And now I want sugar cookies! :)

bubbaray
10-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Um, OK, so I ate a couple....

Thanks everyone! I froze 3 logs, which I could either slice and bake (yummmmm) or roll and use with cookie cutters.

I now have about 30 pumpkin cookies cooling on racks. Remember I said I only needed 2?