PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with LO gifts

bw52
10-29-2010, 10:13 AM
I know ideas of what I want to get her, like blocks, but what type are best for her age? LO will be 18 months at Christmas and I'd like something that she'll use awhile.

Also she has lots of big toys, so what small toys are good. I'm thinking Little People? But should I just buy the people? Or Cars? Or buy a set of something? What do people buy when referring to LP? I really think she needs smaller toys to play with (we've got L&L home, music table, etc).

TIA!

wellyes
10-29-2010, 11:01 AM
I think 18 months is a little young for Little People. Not that it's dangerous, just that she won't get it yet, maybe.
There is a thread in "Around the House" with gift ideas for kids of various ages - HTH.

Seitvonzu
10-29-2010, 11:17 AM
my daughter actually really started liking little people quite early-- probably around 15 months? at around 18 months, we came into tons of little people stuff from the inlaws-- a zoo, a zoo train, a playground, circus train, tons of people... there was more, i had to put my foot down about the doll house and some other things.

so i would say that 18 months is just about perfect...even if your child isn't super into it, she might grow into it...but i wouldn't want to miss the 1.5-2 time if they DO like it, ykwim?

now that lu is almost 3 she doesn't play with the little people as much...but it might be because she has so many other toys. if you feel like your child would enjoy them...go for it! if we hadn't already had a barn, that's a set i might have been interested in or the airplane? or or or....

i also really like the little people nativity set...if we didn't get the playmobil instead, i would have totally gotten lucy that by now..i still consider it from time to time but am afraid it's too young.

we got at fisher price catalog in the mail the other day and i was really surprised how appealing i found so many of the sets...even though i though my kid was sorta past little people. maybe it was the selection? (and that ours are hand me downs?) i say- go for it!

lowrioh
10-29-2010, 11:19 AM
DD was 17 months last Christmas and this is what she got and what the reaction was.

Melissa and Doug stacking blocks-pretty much a hit from day one. At first we stacked them and she knocked them over and now she stacks them herself. These are still played with every couple of days.
FP Piggy Bank-Not a hit at first. She started playing with it at around age 2 and plays with it at least once a week now.
FP Cookie Jar shape sorter-Didn't really play with it until she was closer to 2.
FP farm set-liked it from the start and still plays with it regularly.
Amish made Rocking Horse-liked it from the start. Needed VERY close supervision for the first 4-6 months but now she plays with it on her own.
Books-big hit
Matchbox cars-BIG hit from the get go. Still plays with them all the time.

Seitvonzu
10-29-2010, 11:22 AM
oh-- this was a more general question :) blocks are always good in my opinion, but don't expect that your kiddo is going to be building huge, elaborate architectural structures or anything. i find that my 2.75 year old is just getting into blocks (and we have a bajillion, all kinds)-- duplos or interlocking bricks of all sizes (bigger vs. VERY BIG :) seem to be really popular at this age. not as much the "classic blocks" (wooden cubes, unit blocks, shaped architectural blocks...we unfortunately have TONS of these).

are you thinking about getting a play kitchen at all ? i would think 18 months is a great time for that....if you are looking for a "big" present for the holidays. again, your child might not play with it like you envision, but it's fun to open/close, put in/take out, start with some representational "cooking" etc. play kitchens really grow with kids, but i think if you wait too long you might miss some good play time with them. my daughter got hers at 23 months, but would have enjoyed it at 18 months (and did at toy stores/friends houses, etc.)

christiedavid3
10-29-2010, 11:33 AM
I would vote yes on Little People for an 18 month old. DS got the airplane for Christmas when he was 16 months and loved it from the start. He's also really loved the farm/barn that I picked up for $3 at a thrift store. DH got tired of it and gave it away, but I know that DS would still love playing with it now.

Seitvonzu
10-29-2010, 12:20 PM
i thought of one more thing (i really should try to keep stuff in one post...)-- ifyou have the space, your child might really like the BIG melissa and doug cardboard bricks-- those are so fun! i like them more than my child, but i think if they were more accessible...she'd be more into them. they are FUN (but huge)

brittone2
10-29-2010, 01:46 PM
We don't own any little people, but my DD got into pretend play w/ figures really early. Around 18 months she was jumping in and playing w/ DS's stuff so I'm sure she would have liked LP at that age. In comparison he didn't do much of that type of play until 2 and really more like 3.