PDA

View Full Version : What baby items sell well on craigslist?

MomtoNico
10-29-2010, 03:24 PM
My youngest DS is 9 months. I dont plan on having anymore kids. So its now time to get rid of things he outgrowns. What sells well on Craigslist? Do clothes sell well? If so do you list individual items? Or have people come and look?
Sorry didnt know where to post this question.

christiedavid3
10-29-2010, 03:31 PM
I have sold quite a few baby items on CL.

Fisher Price Jumperoo
Bassinet
Bumbo
Strollers
Step 2 Climber

IMO it's worth it to sell the big items there. I wouldn't bother with smaller items as you'll have to arrange pick up, etc.

Most of my smaller items (bathtub, toys, clothes, etc.) I've sold at consignment sales, or given to friends.

smiles33
10-29-2010, 03:35 PM
I have sold quite a few baby items on CL.

Fisher Price Jumperoo
Bassinet
Bumbo
Strollers
Step 2 Climber

IMO it's worth it to sell the big items there. I wouldn't bother with smaller items as you'll have to arrange pick up, etc.

Most of my smaller items (bathtub, toys, clothes, etc.) I've sold at consignment sales, or given to friends.

:yeahthat: I sold our Pack N Play, Jumperoo, Swing, Bouncer, Exersaucer, etc. Sometimes big toys can sell well on CL (e.g., Kettler tricycle, ride-on toys). I also managed to sell 4 bags of infant toys (e.g., an unused Sophie the giraffe which both DDS ignored, Whoozit, Lamaze, Leapfrog, Tiny Love etc.) for $30. Probably paid over $300 for that stuff but at least it was out of the house!

Clothes are usually donated unless it's an expensive brand name and in excellent condition (no pilling, no loose seams, of course no stains). Since DDs are in daycare, very little clothing gets sold.

I also tried to sell some old Pedipeds and See Kai Runs on CL and no luck. Better selling that on eBay.

arivecchi
10-29-2010, 03:39 PM
baby gear sells quickly

jenfromnj
10-29-2010, 03:41 PM
I agree with the PP that larger items sell better on craigslist. I haven't tried yet to sell any baby clothes, but I've had several mom friends who have had better luck on ebay selling clothes--a lot of them sell clothes in outfits or lots as opposed to individual pieces.

Also, in our area, higher end baby stuff (like Bugaboo strollers, Tripp Trapp highchairs) is super popular on craigslist--I know several moms in our music class have sold those kinds of items within a day of listing them.

Jo..
10-29-2010, 03:42 PM
clothes no gear yes.

if you list clothes do it in lots so you're not running out of the house for $5.

I usually sell toys and gear within hours of listing. If it doesn't sell in 24 hours I reduce the price.

army_mom
10-29-2010, 03:54 PM
we haven't sold much on craigslist (only a swing) but have bought a ton for IL house:

high chair
pack n play
jeep walker (they gave us a BUNCH of extra stuff for free since we were both deployed! :-) )
swing (was a dud and we had to rebuy as the motor went out)
bounce and spin pony
laugh and learn house
lion walker/ride on
play kitchen

oh we will miss being able to buy DD *used* Christmas/birthday presents when she gets old enough. Or maybe we can convince her it's better to get used as you get more :rotflmao:

MIL sells a lot of DDs old clothes and shoes (sell better than ebay since no shipping charge) at their bi-annual consignment sales in their town (we don't have one and she enjoys doing it)

Babymakes3
10-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Bigger stand up toys and ride-ons
Bumbo seats
baby gear - strollers, highchairs, pnp's, bassinets, etc.

- I bought and sold a Jeep jogging stroller for the same amount after using it for almost a year!

For clothing I would do ebay for the name brand items - gap, gymboree, etc. and consignment or donate other thing

If you are going to have people come to your house (i prefer not to do this esp with a baby in the house) maybe have a pile of other baby items you want to get rid of and list that you have several other related baby things for sale that a buyer is welcome to look thru besides. That happened to me when I bought my jumperoo and I found a bunch of clothing and smaller toys!

brittone2
10-29-2010, 04:04 PM
I've been working on selling things off as my 7 month old is likely our last child.

I bought a FP Nature's Touch papasan swing for 40 and resold for 40 after we were finished with it.

I've had surprisingly good luck selling off my prefolds (cloth diapers) which is great because they are expensive to ship. A friend is borrowing our newborn dipes so we'll see how they sell (or don't, and then I'll list online on diaperswappers).

I have purchased and resold things like outdoor toddler slides for the same amount of money I paid on CL in the first place.

I've bought and sold a few strollers successfully.

Clothing I do not generally bother with, but I recently sold off some of DD's Hannas and that worked out well. However, I was selling them pretty inexpensively as many were bought via consignment so I could afford to sell them for a pretty reasonable price.

I just purchased a FP Learning Home for DS2 for Christmas and will likely resell for close to what I paid eventually (if we don't lose a bunch of the pieces ;) ).

emschwar
10-29-2010, 05:08 PM
We're on a baby stuff selling spree here too.

So far, on CL, I've sold:
Fisher Price Little People (had a fat ton of them!)
Joovy Caboose UL
Superyard
Playskool Discovery Dome
Leapfrog learning table
Kaboost
and possibly a few other things I've forgotten. It's like a gold mine!

I've got a lot more stuff upstairs I need to take pics of and list. Maybe now's a good time :)

ang79
10-29-2010, 07:44 PM
I've sold all of my gear that we are no longer using (we still have the crib, high chair, and pack and play but I sold swing, bouncer, play gyms, strollers, infant carseat, bath tub, etc.). Sold an 18 gallon tote of baby toys for $20. And I've also sold a bunch of clothes. One lady I met at Target and she just looked through the bins of clothes that I had and picked out what she wanted. Other moms have come to my house and looked through the blankets, clothing, bibs, etc. and taken what they wanted. Maybe I'm naive, but around here that is how people do CL and freecycle, you just go to the person's house to pick it up, unless you are quite a distance away and can arrange a middle ground meeting point. My area is rather rural though, not a big city to worry about pedophiles and criminals and such. I've gone to people's houses and also looked through items and picked out what I wanted to buy.

I'm going to post stuff for a few more weeks and whatever is left I'll take to consignment.

MomtoNico
10-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks everyone. I plan on posting a couple of bouncy seats and mats etc. I tried selling the clothes at a consignment sale and didnt do very well. It was alot of work and only got 100 dollars. I thought I priced everything to sell. and the last day things go 1/2 off but sell didnt sell very well. Although it was the tiny sizes.

I will give it a shot. Thanks for all the imput!!