PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for safe/green plastic play food?

Krisrich
10-29-2010, 10:27 PM
DDs are getting a play kitchen for Christmas. They will be 24 months and 11 months old. I cannot decide on play food! I know a lot of people like fabric food but my little one is a big mouther and I can see the felt food being chewed on and becoming gross quickly. The wooden food is heavy and also says 3 and up so, again, I'm nervous about the little one choking on it or getting clonked in the head by the older one. So, that leaves plastic. I am getting the green toys dishware etc and REALLY wish they also made food. Any recommendations? Thanks!

LaCostaMom
10-30-2010, 10:36 AM
I've been looking for eco-friendly play food that is not wood or cloth but can't seem to find anything either. Hopefully Green toys will come out with something!

http://www.growingagreenfamily.com/eco-friendly-play-kitchen-food/

Jenn27
10-30-2010, 10:45 AM
The Ikea cloth food is washable (and really cute!). We also got some crocheted food off etsy that is washable and life-size. We got it before we had the kitchen, when DD was just 11 months. We got the veggies set and it's totally worth the price!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/honeybee69

ahisma
10-30-2010, 12:06 PM
I have a 2 yo and a 4 yo DS - we've used wooden, crocheted and fabric play food for 2 years with no problems. There were a few pieces that I pulled when DS2 was younger, just the Plan Toys veggies that you can "cut" in half because they were small enough to be a choking hazard.

Seitvonzu
10-30-2010, 02:51 PM
i know you said you'd prefer plastic, but i think that the plan toys food might be the "greenest" option (and is what came to mind immediately for me). they have a fruit/veggie set that is chunkier (listed as 1 1/2 plus), and then the "normal" line of play food (3+--which is smaller-- which is good in the "wouldn't be used as a deadly weapon" category!)

the ikea food is pretty cheap and i'm sure it would be fine in the washing machine like the previous poster said. i wouldn't spring for pbk food or the like because it's pricey and i'd be afraid of cleaning issues...but the ikea stuff would probably be fine. you could try a set and see, and then expand into others if the first set fares well?